Would you join civil service during these turmoil times?

Gasgasgas

Neutral Newbie

[:p] MCF members beri anti-gahmen one...even with these bad times, they sure say wun join civil service...wud rather starve to death...

[laugh][laugh]

Agree.

I have friends working for the gov....aiyoh...see already also pity them. Some of them are scholars...their workload & their pay...just don't balance. But what they have is relative stability and a super pro-family working environment.

Work for the gov?

Will never 'make it out of the woods' one!....get trapped in the Pappy forest and earn one cent, pay two cents type of life style! [sly][laugh][laugh] [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

based on my 'encounters' with gov bodies.. it's place where ppl will go and wait for retirement.. they simply report to work on time, do their given work(will not do extra), then go home on the dot.. that's why if u call a gov service hotline at 5.31 pm(one min late), u will get an automated reply ask u to call back the next working day.. very on the DOT one...

true enough in these turmoil times, CS jobs are more stable.. but i believe that even in recession or crisis, there are opportunites elsewhere, not necesssary in the CS sector. it's matter of networking and luck!

Neutral Newbie

u mentioned 'permanent contract'.. does that means if retrenched no payout? so no different from other contract, rite? any chance of converting to PERM non-contract?

Agree.

I have friends working for the gov....aiyoh...see already also pity them. Some of them are scholars...their workload & their pay...just don't balance. But what they have is relative stability and a super pro-family working environment.

Err... if their workload is high (not matching pay), how can there be a pro-family working environment??

Environment in civil service very much depends on who's the boss and which ministry is concerned. I know of some places where the staff have to overtime as bad as any private sector, on-call job - and yes, it's not worth the pay. Promotion goes at a glacial pace. Only the senior management with their super-scale pay can truly say the experience is worth it. You may even get a young scholar boss who try to teach you to do your work, and evaluates your performance.

But having said that, going 100% into gov service is way, way better than stat board [thumbsdown] At least in the civil service, they have to quickly implement whatever good, pro-family policies set by the govt. Stat boards get to cherry pick and modify these policies to minimise the benefits to employees... the childcare leave policy being one good example.

Edited by Sosaria

based on my 'encounters' with gov bodies.. it's place where ppl will go and wait for retirement.. they simply report to work on time, do their given work(will not do extra), then go home on the dot.. that's why if u call a gov service hotline at 5.31 pm(one min late), u will get an automated reply ask u to call back the next working day.. very on the DOT one...

true enough in these turmoil times, CS jobs are more stable.. but i believe that even in recession or crisis, there are opportunites elsewhere, not necesssary in the CS sector. it's matter of networking and luck!

Wat you say is perhaps true of the older generation (pardon me!) in the service. This was how things functioned in the days before e-mail. And you can't blame them, because their supervisors don't rate them well or appreciate them and most already reach the ceiling of their pay and CEP - Current estimated potential, as they call it.

But as for the younger staff in the graduate scheme, it can be as punishing as any private sector job, in terms of the hours.

Join chiber serbit for wat? The solid gold/silver/iron ricebowl only given to S grade. Might as well use such slow period to setup own network and build own wealth.

↡ Advertisement