Traffic Police Reply to Overtaking Lane Query

Tas0577

Guys,

Since my previous thread has been removed and you all eager to know what is Traffic Police reply regarding the overtaking lane.

It is not wrong to give way to fast-moving vehicles if you are already travelling within the speed limit unless those emergency vehicles like Ambulance or Police cars.

You should give way to fast moving vehicles on the extreme right lane of the road or expressway if you are slower than the speed limit of the road or expressway.

Even if you are travelling above the speed limit of the road, you are advised to keep your speed within the speed limit of the road.

Do take note of those highlighted portion :

"Dear Mr XXX

I refer to your preceding email.

You may wish to know that it is also an offence to drive at unreasonably low speeds on the road, especially on the rightmost lane or along the centre of the road or expressway.

Motorists travelling slowly are advised to keep to the left side of the road or expressway-especially small capacity motorcycles, goods vehicles and lorries. In addition, motorists travelling in the extreme right lanes should give way to fast-moving vehicles intending to overtake. However, while motorists should not hinder the smooth flow of traffic, such fast-moving vehicles should also keep within the stipulated speed limit for that particular stretch of road, or of their vehicles, whichever is lower.

Regards

Max Ong | Service Quality Branch | Traffic Police Department

WARNING: "Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance thereon. Communication of any information in this email to any unauthorised person is an offence under the Official Secrets Act (Cap 213). Please notify the sender immediately if you receive this in error."

Below is the email I sent to Traffic Police :

"17 Oct, 2008 06:37 PM

To

SPF Feedback TP/SPF/SINGOV@SINGOV

cc

Subject

Rules for overtaking in Lane 1

Dear Officer-in-charge,

I like to bring to your attention regarding a bad experience I encountered this afternoon around 12pm when I was traveling at speed limit of 100km/h along PIE towards Jurong some where after Tampines Exit.

I was traveling at 100km/h on Lane 1 of the PIE as the speed limit for that stretch of road is 90km/h and there was no car in front and lane 2. Suddenly, there is a Subaru Legacy coming from a distance traveling above 100km/h and tailgating me for some time.

I did not give way to him and he overtake me from Lane 2 and stare at me when his car was beside my car, after he overtake my car, he suddenly slow down to around 60km/h causing me to step on my brake as it is below the speed limit of the road.

I ignore him and change lane to lane 2, letting other vehicles to play with him and I change back to lane 1 after I see no more oncoming vehicles from lane 1.

It was some distance some where before Eunos exit that I see this Subaru Legacy again in front of my car at lane 1, I stay away some distance from him knowing his intention but he suddenly change to lane 2 and exit out of Paya Lebar Exit. My passenger was telling me that the driver stare at me again but I just ignore him as safety is more important.

I was told by my friends and some forum members that even though I am travelling within the speed limit of the expressway on lane 1, I need to give way to vehicles which are traveling at higher speed and I am consider a road hogger when I don't give way to them?

I know that lane 1 is for overtaking vehicles and I will give way to authority vehicles if needed even though I am traveling at the speed limit of the road, I will also need to change back to lane 2 if I need to overtake some vehicles.

Please advise me the proper rules for lane 1 and overtaking and hope you can reply me soon, thanks.

Regards,

Mr XXX"

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Ok, so wat's the conclusion u r drawing from here?

Putting speed aside (since both of u are WRONG to speed), is it ok to stick to the right-most lane knowing there's another vehicle wanting to overtake u?

Neutral Newbie

if "keep within the stipulated speed limit for that particular stretch of road, or of their vehicles, whichever is lower." is true... then there is NO overtaking if u are travelling AT speed limit on lane 1....

so what is the issue?

I ignore him and change lane to lane 2, letting other vehicles to play with him and I change back to lane 1 after I see no more oncoming vehicles from lane 1.

If I am the office in charge [hur]

nbz want to play go play lah... play lose come here kpkbz.....

you are road-hogging even though you are travelling at 100km/hr.

you should give way to those that are travelling faster than you.

you really buay pai seh. still dare to post openly.

Edited by Mcf777

Neutral Newbie

The issue is: to start off with, TS is WRONG to drive at 100km/h -- i.e. NOT "keeping within the stipulated speed limit..." to quote TP's reply.

A faster car came and wanted to travel faster (>100km/h). Granted, he's WRONG to speed & tailgate. But TS' not giving way is WRONG too. So both parties are WRONG. Why pot calling the kettle black?!

It is ok to post all your comments and who is playing with me first?

If he is not playing then why he need to overtake me and jam brake to 60km/h when he is in front of my vehicle.

Just continue post your negative remarks here as you will have such encounter one day and wish you good luck.

Neutral Newbie

no cannot be leh... TP say cannot leh... u TP? Why dont we all go TP and u admit going 100KMPH and I was doing 90KM .. and u say i road hog... lets go TP ... lets go la... please... lets go... and see who kena charge.... lets go baby lets go baybee cmon carmon carmon on on hahahah

Neutral Newbie

Bottom line... everyone stick to speed limit...and travel on whichever lane u like.... if i need to chiong.. i wont beg ppl to give way to me.. i am a man ..i will find my way... only sissy ask ppl to give way hahaha

Is it ok to publish this email correspondence in a public forum? sweatdrop.gif What is Official Secrets Act (Cap 213)?? confused.gif

Regards

Max Ong | Service Quality Branch | Traffic Police Department

WARNING: "Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance thereon. Communication of any information in this email to any unauthorised person is an offence under the Official Secrets Act (Cap 213). Please notify the sender immediately if you receive this in error."

Neutral Newbie
The issue is: to start off with, TS is WRONG to drive at 100km/h -- i.e. NOT "keeping within the stipulated speed limit..." to quote TP's reply.

A faster car came and wanted to travel faster (>100km/h). Granted, he's WRONG to speed & tailgate. But TS' not giving way is WRONG too. So both parties are WRONG. Why pot calling the kettle black?!

wat? travelling 100kmph? walao TS is shi.t head

↡ Advertisement