Free drinks at Ikea, think again

Vincentacy

This is why alot of fast food outlets in SG stopped having free flow of soft drinks, thanks to the Singaporean mentality.

However we don't see this happening overseas. Its just the mindset.

↡ Advertisement

if its free flow, then the restaurant sld not be afraid of customers drinking to their fullest....

however they can implement free flow by allowing staff to fill up for them ;p

sometimes really dun understand these people.. can pay 8+ for meatballs cannot spend 1.50 for soft drink..

dun understand why.

u have not check out what car they drives... maybe a 7-series.... [lipsrsealed]

At the end of the day how has that affected you in any way? Nothing?

Do you honestly think its free??? Ironically its these same cheapskates that will complain the most when food prices go up for everyone because of their selfish wants [thumbsdown]

sometimes really dun understand these people.. can pay 8+ for meatballs cannot spend 1.50 for soft drink..

dun understand why.

Same mentality for drivers. [shakehead][thumbsdown]

You can illegally park your car and get your family members to a table and start ordering food such as stall cooked food like hokkien mee or hor fun etc. Else, chicken rice or roti prata. Then while eating halfway or in the midst of enjoying the delicious food with your wife and children, suddenly [sweatdrop] and I mean really suddenly... [sweatdrop] ..auntie fatimah came and all start scrambling for their cars including you with your mouth full of food or drinks.. [sweatdrop] ..This is terribly disgusting.. [furious] ..Typical Singaporean drivers (Btw, I am a Singaporean for as long as I had lived in Singapore).What a disgrace! [thumbsdown][shakehead]

Why can't we afford a S$1 dollar coupon and park our car at the multi-storey car park nearby and walk a few more steps? [confused] The end result is having a nice dinner with your loved ones or family members with a peace of mind. [nod] Furthermore, walking a few steps won't kill you and in fact is a healthy exercise. However, the aforesaid typically signifies the unpleasant and unsightly attitude of our locals..... [thumbsdown]

To date, I have been using 50 cents or S$1.00 coupon to park my car for a nice meal. Life is too short for such misery.

[nod] agree.... just the other day, a wish park illegally beside a kopitiam during dinner time and kena a summon.. the dinner cost the mid-age couple is their meal cost + $100 to LTA..... [thumbsup]

btw, talk about what i saw, he is really no class IMO...not sure about how people feel but i always feel no way the driver should ask the passenger go pick up the summon especially a guy driver..... i saw them walk back to the car, they both board the car and engine started, headlights on..... i think then only the male driver saw the summon attached to wiper..... after around 1 mins, the lady passenger open door, and walk out to collect the summon and back to car... not a gentleman driver if u ask me... [thumbsdown]

if its free flow, then the restaurant sld not be afraid of customers drinking to their fullest....

however they can implement free flow by allowing staff to fill up for them ;p

Can still have loopholes one ...

1 person buy... 10 person drink. (argument: why can't I share my drink with my friends/family?)..

It all boils down to mindset.. [:/]

aiyah then charge higher per cup la...like i always share 1 carl jr meal w a fren and we keep refilling the lemon tea ;p

actually why sld we be so bothered to save for ikea and other restaurants? its not as if the company belongs to me.

Edited by Babyt

Please try to understand that some families are poor and had to resort to these. We must learn to eat our own food and mind our own meatballs. I meant business.

Some rich ppl enjoy doing this leh.....at least I know of ppl that are rich and still does this one way or ther other. Probably they got rich that way [laugh]

Neutral Newbie
Please try to understand that some families are poor and had to resort to these. We must learn to eat our own food and mind our own meatballs. I meant business.

I don't think the poor would go Ikea for meatballs and chicken wings. Don't think they're that particular demographic. Stealing's stealing.

There's a difference between being poor and hence deserving of pity cos they need to drink WATER to stave off dehydration. And then there's the greedy and miserly who want more but don't wanna pay for it and instead cheat or steal to get that extra bit.

We have to draw a line somewhere. Stealing from Ikea is no different from them stealing from a mom-and-pop grocery store. What's important is whether they're doing out of greed or desperation. Stealing Coke from Ikea (let's call a spade a spade) whilst dining to chicken wings and meatballs is not desperation.

Nah...I'm not worried about IKEA losing money over this... it's chicken feed to them. Also, the cost of operating a 'free flow' counter would have been factored in their portions/pricing of other items there already.

It's just that: The mother and son clearly knew that they should not be doing something like that but still CHOOSE to do it for the 'savings'... is their dignity/integrity worth $1.50?...

How much can you save by not paying for $1.50?

Is drinking free coke such a temptation that it's worth possibly embarassing yourself?

Edited by Scoots

You all know how crowded lunch time at IKEA is right?

I have noticed a few occassions that some customers are not very 'automatic' in the sense that they are chatting away for a long time even after consuming their meals. Some of them are so comfortable at the restuarant that they will remove their sandals and put both their legs on the chair to chit chat.

I am not against family bonding or friends doing some catch up but I think it would be a gracious thing to give up one's seat after the meal (of course, I am not asking anyone to rush through their meals) when the restaurant is pretty crowded.

Perhaps, it's the 'free' kopi or softdrink where Singaporeans must make sure that their $1.50 is 'well spent' before they are willing to give up their seats.

Just had lunch at Ikea (around 1:30pm)

There was this family (two middle age aunties and one of their son, age around 20). He was wearing a yellow SAF singlet with camp logo (cannot remember now).

They had the good old meat balls and some chicken wings with three glass plain water cups on their table.

Obviously did not order soft drinks as they do not have those paper cups. Yet the son's glass cup (for plain water) has got Coke in it. I believe this is typical of "some" people who goes to Ikea. Anyway, how often do you see the staff telling anyone off.

Very quickly we realized the son stood up as he had finished his drink. He was going for refill. This time, he asked his mum to join him. You can clearly see, for $1.50, he had to look around, make sure no one were watching before tapping on dispenser (err... there were so many people yet he think this act is invisible)

After the son, just as the first auntie was tapping on the dispenser. A Ikea staff came over and tell them off. It was not a nice sight.

Then on, they stopped talking to one another, face down, just trying to finish their food.