D2 Coilover Enquiry

Lucien

I am wondering whether TS is the one bitching or rather you were the one bitching all along? From the looks of it I'd guess its the latter? You can also save the hypocrisy about not endangering other road users to yourself, it's kind of obvious whether your concern is genuine or not. shakehead.gif

Since you strongly advocate people to spend more and get well established brands, where does your "experience" about D2 products come from? From the internet? or the usual "heard it from my friend"? Or did you really had first hand experience with D2s in the past and somehow got yourself becoming a road hazard which explains your detestation with this brand? A few random citation of how D2s fail in your list of cars ain't substantial enough. I can do the same with renown brands like Tein as well.

From your username, its inductively strong that you are a BMW320i owner or a fan perhaps? I would like to ask why settle for an entry level car like this then? You could be a road hazard in the eyes of a Ferrari driver ACCORDING TO YOUR argument. Why not save up and and buy a "proper" car at a later date then? No offense to BMW owners, I'm just trying to prove to him how silly his argument is.

Not me. I don't use cheap sh*t and come to forum and bitch about overhauling coilovers. rolleyes.gif
↡ Advertisement

Eh bro, I came here in peace leh... just sharing my own personal experience.

Well for BC, I have that on my wife's car now. so far very happy. Street comfort. bUt I must warn you that the knowledge of the distributor of BC on coilovers is very limited. They gave me a wrong spring rate for my rear then it resulted being bouncy. lucky had a friend who helped me and told them to give me higher spring rate.

Hope this helps bro...

same. i do not mean that hotbits is lousy at all. just saying tt u cannot conclude that it must be good just because they make compatible stuff for alfa [;)]

if the knowledge of the BC distributor is limited, then i am not very confident of them servicing my coils [sweatdrop]

but having said that, been using my BC for over 40k kms and so far so good [sunny]

i mean that u can't conclude either way.

likewise, i will not say that tein is lousy because they make coilovers for low end model like getz [;)]

hope u get my drift [;)]

ultimately if there are issues with certain brands, i'd like to know. better find out after purchase than never find out at all [dead]

Kinda saw some not very good feedback on D2 coilovers also, apparently one guy managed to bend the shaft when drifting [shocked]

What's your opinion on ISC?

They seem alittle cheaper but have a choice of springrates, 32 step damper n height/ adj and camber tops etc.. quite value for $$ [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie
Nope I don't think you're answering to the point either.

Nobody is bitchin about it. Everyone can see that. You're the one making nonsense.

Why don't you just dump your car and get a good one perhaps LP640. Its cheap. Like you said.

Don't mean to be cocky, but an LP640 can't even clock a timing anywhere close to GTR35 at the Nurburgring which is a highspeed track. On a shorter track, the GTR35 is still 1 second slower than I am in stock form.

A LP640 is still a LP640 at the end of the day. Its a chick magnet. I don't pull chicks to compensate the short fall in something else. At the end of the day, my track times don't lie. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie
I dont think he deserves such replies from you. You are seeing everything in relativity and probably imposing your experience/opinion on him.

You probably meant well but I think you can be more civilised over the forum. [shakehead]

You don't expect civilised response from people who reply with sarcasm. [;)]

Yup, mine is used for 15000km. So far so good. Anyway, when I learnt more about coilovers such as spring rate and damper setting, I'm ok with using taiwan made coilovers.

Neutral Newbie
I am wondering whether TS is the one bitching or rather you were the one bitching all along? From the looks of it I'd guess its the latter? You can also save the hypocrisy about not endangering other road users to yourself, it's kind of obvious whether your concern is genuine or not. shakehead.gif

Since you strongly advocate people to spend more and get well established brands, where does your "experience" about D2 products come from? From the internet? or the usual "heard it from my friend"? Or did you really had first hand experience with D2s in the past and somehow got yourself becoming a road hazard which explains your detestation with this brand? A few random citation of how D2s fail in your list of cars ain't substantial enough. I can do the same with renown brands like Tein as well.

From your username, its inductively strong that you are a BMW320i owner or a fan perhaps? I would like to ask why settle for an entry level car like this then? You could be a road hazard in the eyes of a Ferrari driver ACCORDING TO YOUR argument. Why not save up and and buy a "proper" car at a later date then? No offense to BMW owners, I'm just trying to prove to him how silly his argument is.

Not me. I don't use cheap sh*t and come to forum and bitch about overhauling coilovers. rolleyes.gif

Since you are a newbie, I will go easy on you. [;)]

Before I even go further,

Are you able to explain the dangers of a faulty shock whilst driving on the road ?

If you are unable to answer that question, than you would not have a clue to the nature of my concern to begin with. [;)]

The IS200 is a personal friend of mine. Needless to say, locking the rear wheels, screeching to a halt at a busy intersection with no brake light is enough of an experience for him. The Cars I mentioned above are the list stipulated by the distributor himself. In his office, I saw a bunch of faulty and leaking shocks that had been swapped by D2 owners of the cars above due to malfunction.

In reply to your Ferrari question, I shall not even attempt to answer that. Please exercise common sense. Re-read my post again and you shall find the answer. [laugh]

I know you may feel chagrin from your lack of knowledge in certain aspects of technical discussion, but your reply serves as an impediment to the nature of the problem.

Unless you have any geniune technical knowledge to offer pertaining to the rudimentary nature of D2 coilovers, I would suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

At Blk 14 #01-21b Sin Ming Road, 64535112, they are the agent, you can buy replacement parts for your D2 coilovers there...wink.gif

WOW, U MIA FOR SO FAR AND U come in JUST ANSWER A question [lipsrsealed]

And the question warrants a simple answer. And that is to Dump or avoid buying cheap parts and get a proper aftermarket part the first time.

If the aftermarket part you are after is not within your monetary budget the solution is simple. Save the money and buy proper one at a future date.

The improper way of doing thing is to settle for something cheap, come to the forum and bitch about how it can be serviced only to return back to the forum and ask for a similar advice.

You speak as if you know great deal about D2 products. Have you have any experience in D2s ? If not, please f*** off to your hole and find out.

IS200 - D2 8 Piston Calipers. Problem: Brakes cease to function at major intersection. Cause: Piston failure. Results: Brake Failure. Remedy: Use of handbrake to slow the car down.

D2 coilovers - Skylines GTST 32&33 , WRX, 180SX, S13, BMW 318. All of which have their shocks given up and in particular the 180SX with less than 2000km of usage has the rubber surrounds where the perch sits on top are completely torn to shreds.

Since you are such a f****** genius, you tell me if the original poster should continue to rely on band aid solutions by fixing his hopeless coilovers or should he just sell or dump it ?

I don't ask that people fork out $30,000 on Penske or Moton, the decent thing that people can do is buy a product that is safe for use and not something that will sh*t itself sooner than practical and post a hazard to other road users.

If you want to go cheap, what do you expect ?

So instead of acting smart and asking me to buy a brand new coilovers, the original poster should have done his homework before buying a product like that.

So you tell me genius, which part of my post, in getting someone to rectify what could potentially be a disastrous situation, constitute to an overinflation of my Ego ?

i read ur reply and just fainted [laugh]

Neutral Newbie
Kinda saw some not very good feedback on D2 coilovers also, apparently one guy managed to bend the shaft when drifting [shocked]

What's your opinion on ISC?

They seem alittle cheaper but have a choice of springrates, 32 step damper n height/ adj and camber tops etc.. quite value for $$ [rolleyes]

If you pay a cheap price, don't expect much. That is not to say that just because a product is cheap does not mean it is not safe or well built for its price. There are just products that consistently fail repeatedly on numerous occassions and these are the very products people should avoid using for their safety.

When it comes to coilovers, too many people are concerned about its functionality. Nobody actually bother to ask how it is built. Just because XYZ car Made in ABC country can have i-Drive, TC, DSG, SMG, VTEC, PASM does not mean the car is going to perform well with those functions. It may be the wrong metaphor to use but I hope you get the idea.

People are always concerned about how much it cost, how many ways adjustable, ride height, and spring rates.

Does anybody actually bother to look at the specifications of a coilover ?

Piston size, Bore size, seals, rings, cylinder bore size, what viscostiy oil is used, shell case, spring coatings etc.

Does anybody bother to factor in torsional load on such components and evaluate the compounds that are used are able to withstand daily operations ?

"To the people who in their wisdom reckon that my concern for safety is BS, here is why shock failure may be dangerous."

Having a shock failure due to leakage can result in Zero damping. AKA its as good as have one solid iron bar welded from suspension arm to chassis. In the dry if you can get traction under corners, you ought to drive for Mclaren F1. Under cornering, when load is placed upon the shocks, your shocks act to absorb the surface geometry to provide maximum surface contact if possible. This is dependant on damping rates for bound and rebound.

Road surface will never be perfectly even. Minor undulation on road surface destablise the car. When you have a faulty shock that is caused by leakage or fail for any reason, effectively speaking it is as good as having a solid iron welded to from arms to chassis. When the wheels hit a bump on the surface, there is absolutely no shock absorption. With shock absorption, the shock does not translate in a force upwards to the chassis greater than a healthy shock. This keeps traction load within limits of the tyres. When no shock is absorbed due to faulty shock, the shock translate the entire shock upwards to the chassis launch it in the air. Matters are worst and rebounds don't work as well, hence lost of traction = spin out or lost of control.

In a tropical country like Singapore where it rains regularly, with shock failure, I don't need to emphasise the potential dangers one will encounter. Better still would be when oil leakage manage to get on your tyres, it would be as good as driving on ice.

Have anybody seen a race car blow the engine, engine oil leaks, oil gets on tyres, car spins and crash on its own perils ? I have. Its embarrassing. Same situation with shocks.

Also does anybody bother to check if the specific brand of coilovers that they purchased have consistent low speed bound and rebound, highspeed bound and rebound rates ?

Answer is no.

Because most of these interesting characters who come into the forum and blast at people just because they don't like to hear the things they don't wish to hear.

These are the very people who actually think that, "Oh if I set 15 clicks on the shocks, my rebound rates will all be the same cause it feels good and I can take the devils bend at 500mph more than before".

Do these very people realise that if they were to have their shocks dynoed, all 4 individual shocks will register 4 different bound and rebound rates ?

The effect of which is a very unstable and inconsistent car in which these people claim that it feels good.

There are just some products that you should not buy. I am not here to endorse any products. Simply spending a few hundred extra to buy a set of coilovers that is of reasonable quality is the right thing to do.

The least anyone can do is to buy a product that has a history of multiple failures.

The products are cheap for a reason. Some reasons may pertain to companies purchasing the blue prints from another for an outgoing product. This cuts down on cost but what you are buying is essentially an older product that has been renamed.

Generally speaking most aftermarket products such as AP Racing, Brembos, Moton, Ohlins, etc are expensive for a reason. They research, design, build and test their products to death and benchmark its tolerance margin. If the tolerance margin does not meet their requirements, these products will be put back to the drawing board, modified and test to destruction again.

The above are just a few examples where these manufacturers work closely with famous motorsports such as F1, DTM, WTCC. DBA is one of the companies that sponsors V8 Supercars and after every single race, the rotors are tossed out and a fresh one is installed. If you think this is cheap, think again, after every race use, these products are thrown out by racing teams for manufacturers to evaluate for wear components. If products do not meet racing teams requirement, they have to redesign or risk their contracts.

The money does not fall from the sky. We as consumers have to pay that extra to compensate for R&D cost in order for them to continue their core objectives. There are products that are all looks no go. People just have to do their homework before buying.

Neutral Newbie

When one gets accused of having a false sense of safety concern for another, you can do none other than to approach the problem with fortitude.

Something wrong in my reply which made you faint ? [laugh]

Its been a while since we last spoke. [;)]

Edited by BMW320i

Nope I don't think you're answering to the point either.

Nobody is bitchin about it. Everyone can see that. You're the one making nonsense.

Why don't you just dump your car and get a good one perhaps LP640. Its cheap. Like you said.

Don't mean to be cocky, but an LP640 can't even clock a timing anywhere close to GTR35 at the Nurburgring which is a highspeed track. On a shorter track, the GTR35 is still 1 second slower than I am in stock form.

A LP640 is still a LP640 at the end of the day. Its a chick magnet. I don't pull chicks to compensate the short fall in something else. At the end of the day, my track times don't lie. [laugh]

thats isnt a fair apples to apples comparison dont u think? they always say that lambos are designed for rod stewart rather than jackie stewart [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

general rule of thumb: "what you pay is what you get".

my two cents:

i agree that the majority of companies that offers coilovers either concentrate on r&d or rely on odm's/oem's r&d, and not on reliability & performance testing (e.g. accelerated life testing), etc. reason is simple: they do not own testing labs & testing will cost a bomb. like a certain jap auto racing arm's brand that relies on mr h, mr k, & the s bank and choose from its catalog of performance products, and then slap its brand on the parts.

just to share: had a bad experience with an european brand coilovers. the front springs on the coilovers actually yielded from its z-axis performance. this means if you put the spring standing by itself on the ground, the spring's centerline is bent (curved vertically). only found this out after i tracked the car..., because the car's handling was "all over the place"..., and i was on the coilovers for only 2 months!

the best part was that the local authorized agent agreed to replace them at no cost! i told the agent why would I want to replace a wrongly designed system with the same wrongly designed system! like the bro said, the local agents know jack s.h.i.t about what they are selling. sad but true...

Edited by Zeee
↡ Advertisement