• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
69 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hishercar
  • Hishercar
    Banned

Does this forumer makes sense or is DBS just plain NUTS?

http://forums.asiaon...ead.php?t=15911

I don't understand................got one DBS Managing Director who was retrenched today and newspapers say he got like 20 months salary as retrenchment package is it?

Assuming his Managing Director pay is S$12,000, then 20 months would be S$240,000! And S$12,00 is just a modest estimation on my part.

If that's the case, won't DBS suffer a loss? I mean, the purpose of retrenchment is to save costs, but by paying this guy S$240,000 in advance, what are they thinking?!

DBS lose one-shot S$240,000 (20-months worth of salary) by sacking a staff and he don't even need to work at DBS anymore, and he gets free pay. If they keep him, they will only need to pay him S$12,000 a month and stil get his work contributions and results.

If that's the case, why people can still cry when get retrenched? If it's me, I would be praying to the Heavens and hope my company retrench me ASAP, immediately if possible.

That Managing Director must be laughing all the way to the bank.

He don't even need to work for the rest of his life, assuming he sells his bungalow and buying 4-room flat and car(s), with his savings all these while and that S$240,000 goodie he received from generous DBS.
And there'll be more than enough $$$ leftover for his son's education and daily food and groceries.

What's the rationale of these big fat-*** retrenchment pay? Has these companies gone bonkers after suffering big losses recently?

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

Silver_blade
  • Premium member
    Silver_blade
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

It is a common practice. They are cutting loses, instead of keeping someone they don't need. For that MD who got retrenched....he will still suffer some loses too...eg. bonuses (can be many months of his salary), health and other benefits, etc...which is a saving for the bank.

Assuming we turn the table around. DBS keep that MD but has nothing for him to do...cos they have less transactions and biz. Will the writer then accuse the bank for paying someone for doing nothing? wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Edited by Silver_blade, 15 November 2008 - 04:52 PM.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

Rollagt
  • Premium member
    Rollagt
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Haiz..cut also cannot dun cut also cannot.
Really stuck in between left right centre.

My work place also got a clerical whom had joined since 1974.
His pay oredi hit the cap for his level.

Thou times are bad, his werk attitute still sucks..left on the dot and workload are still undone.Dun think he bother abt retrenchment, he is above 55 and kids are all grown up and he work to kill time.

Axe him he happy coz got fat payout, no axed he still can have a job to kill time.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

Chimp
  • Chimp
    5th Gear
    Author Image

You really don't know how listed companies work...

All retrenchment costs will be lumped into this last quarter's result. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that it is going to be Sh IT for Q4 2008. From Q1 2009 onward, they will have a much smaller non-discretionary expenses due to the reduction of headcounts. Hopefully, by end of Q1 2009, they will be able to report a much better result. And that is going to affect their share price...

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Silver_blade
  • Premium member
    Silver_blade
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

True...for those who have been working for the co. for donkey years and are old....stay or retrench doesn't make a diff. wink.gif wink.gif

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Managing Director should not be $12k only.
otherwise very sad.....

Edited by Throttle2, 15 November 2008 - 06:13 PM.

Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Cymagnus
  • Cymagnus
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

If DBS kept the MD for another few years and decide much later to retrench him/her, wont it cost even more?
Alternate tactics to make that person self resign takes time & effort and may not be ethical.

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

Nolicense
  • Premium member
    Nolicense
    Supercharged
    Author Image

ethical? hahaha.. you sure you live in sg?

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:09 PM

Longg8
  • Premium member
    Longg8
    4th Gear
    Author Image

no way...S$12k per mth is not MD level pay....for local banks...no way.....haha...

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

Cheekg98
  • Cheekg98
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i think shd be easily $600K .... it's a silver parachute
** Enjoying my ride on Little Red Riding Zoom

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

That is exactly my point.
Give away my CPF

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:33 PM

Ozkaki
  • Premium member
    Ozkaki
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

MD's pay easily 30k-50k

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

Earthforge
  • Earthforge
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Agreed. This is the general pay for an MD. The 12k is the pay of a VP or senior AVP.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Managing Director should not be $12k only.
otherwise very sad.....

It is a local bank, you thought what? Especially when you have hundreds of MDs in there?

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:53 AM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Agreed. This is the general pay for an MD. The 12k is the pay of a VP or senior AVP.

You guys think too highly of local bank's pay package.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

Ltcy
  • Premium member
    Ltcy
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I work in a local bank... VP level is getting approximately $10-$15k. SVP abt $13k-$20k... Thus MD will be around the region of $20K+.

If it a foreign bank, VP level is already $15K and above...
I am not driving fast - I am just flying low...

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

Law_ong
  • Law_ong
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

laugh.gif laugh.gif titles can be easily created...in my workplace; a VP at HQ can be a MD at our subsidary, a EVP as a ceo in our JV.. laugh.gif but pay is according to their status in HQ with additional package for the extra portfolio thou laugh.gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ai Hwa Chia Dio Ai Hwa Song Song if Ai Hwa Chia yet gonna shrimp & save might as well go and buy Kar Chia

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

yes, this sounds right.....
Give away my CPF

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Local bank also cannot be so lao kui mah.

MD of local bank = AVP of foreign bank.....aiyoh, very lao kui....
Give away my CPF

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

Cheekg98
  • Cheekg98
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

so u must be one of the ranks listed there ...
** Enjoying my ride on Little Red Riding Zoom

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: says, SMART

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users