Which is your favourite shopping centre and why?

Kelpie

Neutral Newbie

Vivo City is quite good. Got great restaurants, roof top is nice to view fireworks at Universal studios and if bored go watch a movie. Plaza Sing also good cos it got Carrefour. Mustafa is also good, but only advisable to go on weekdays. Weekends soo crowded that there is no breathing space.

I have to admit that my favourite pastime is hanging out in shopping centers. I am there almost every weekend.

Yup........... we know your intention ....... [sly]

errrr............ which kind of target you eyeing ..... Pinoy,, Indon or PRC ...... [lipsrsealed][:p][:p]

• Praise 1

Bro, care to share where is this restaurant "Ban Heng" located? Only rem last time got 1 restaurant named "Dragon Gate" but I think closed down liao. It was located on Deck 4 of the carpark area.

ah thats dragon gate but now changed to ban heng pavilion, they refurbished and change name. same lvl 4 carpark.

ah thats dragon gate but now changed to ban heng pavilion, they refurbished and change name. same lvl 4 carpark.

Thanks to all bro who unselfishly provided the info.

Will see if my friends want to pay a visit to the place for meet-up.

You guys like IMM quite a bit leh.

It's nice, the parking especially, but.....the eateries there not so good.

I like Vivo for the crazy number of restaurants there. From dirt cheap to the...pretty expensive. No ultra expensive ones, though.

But....near the city area. An absolute bitch for me to get to since I'm in the west. Bloody AYE and all the jams.

You guys like IMM quite a bit leh.

It's nice, the parking especially, but.....the eateries there not so good.

I like Vivo for the crazy number of restaurants there. From dirt cheap to the...pretty expensive. No ultra expensive ones, though.

But....near the city area. An absolute bitch for me to get to since I'm in the west. Bloody AYE and all the jams.

I also like IMM for my shopping of groceries at Giant as it's near some of my customers' place.

Not to mention the 1st 3-hr parking is free.....but weekend or peak hrs are quite packed.....

Turbocharged

Ex-Yaohan staff gathers ......

http://www.straitstimes.com/node/3900486

"We used to have morning assemblies daily," said retiree Jeffrey Law, 73, who was a human resource manager with Yaohan before retiring as an editorial consultant. To encourage camaraderie, employees sang the National Anthem, took the Singapore and Yaohan pledge - in which they vowed to better serve all people - and did morning exercises.

Staff were also regularly sent for Japanese etiquette and service training at Yaohan's international education centre in Hong Kong. "We were taught not to walk with our hands behind our backs because customers might perceive it to be rude," said Mr Law, who joined Yaohan in 1976 and left in 1997.

But if the staff were taught to be on their best behaviour, the crowds could at times get unruly. Former store manager Henry Quek, 63, remembers how the Katong store's glass doors broke on the morning of a sale, which included bargains such as a 5kg pack of rice for $1. "The crowds were pushing as they waited for the store to open," he said.

Ms Alice Leo, who organised Saturday's get-together of 120 former staff at Chengsan Community Club, also recalled how customers brought their babies along when buying Anchor beer. Each carton was specially priced but each customer was limited to one. "I asked if their baby also drank beer and they replied: 'My baby is also a person'," the 61-year-old former sales assistant laughed.

Many of those who met up on Saturday worked for Yaohan for more than two decades. Ms Leo began reaching out to her long-lost colleagues at the suggestion of a friend as a way to mark SG50. "Word that we were holding the event spread very quickly and we soon had to turn some away after we hit 120 responses." Such a reception was not unexpected, though. Said Mr Law: "We spent so much of our working lives in Yaohan." -

• Praise 2

Ex-Yaohan staff gathers ......

http://www.straitstimes.com/node/3900486

"We used to have morning assemblies daily," said retiree Jeffrey Law, 73, who was a human resource manager with Yaohan before retiring as an editorial consultant.

I know this is severely off topic, but no wonder he always write to Forum and Today la. Not a week goes by without a letter from Jeffrey Law Lee Beng.

I used to like Suntec City but with every facelift it has gotten less and less upmarket. Really don't know what happened to it.

(edited)

Weekend coming

Which mall u think best to go? Kind of first world problem lol

I find sg got alot malls but none attracted me to the extent drive there to visit

Only a few i bother to go like imm, vivocity, westgate+jem and maybe jurong point

Other good malls like ion and mbs but parking super ex. Sian half

Any other good mall suggestion? Prefer spacious type, nice decor, ample parking and wide range of food lol. Sometimes i see our malls concept lose out to bkk badly. Here too boring ald

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

I think capitaland kills the enjoyment of shopping mall. With FarEast, theirs are mixture of different outlets although their malls aren't big. If I blindfold you then lead you into one of the shops in one of their malls, you cannot tell which mall :a-bang:  It is a cut and paste concept. 

The worst is, more than 50% of the so called shopping malls are F&B outlets. Then the balance are repetitive branded shops. So after visiting one, no need to go further lah.

The way I see our sub urban malls are designed to repeat what was successful in other estate catering to the HDB catchment. If this is the concept, there is no need to travel beyond your neigbourhood.

• Praise 5

(edited)

Take a ferry to Batam Island...

The most expensive item probably is the ferry ticket. LOL...

Hair cut $2

Movie approx $3-4

Meals at coffee shops and restaurants = cheap cheap, except "hawker centres"/food courts where food prices seem to be on the high side. A bit of a shock to me.

Hotel stay approx $35/night

Massage (foot) $10 per hour

[:)]

BCS vs Nagoya Hill, I choose BCS though Nagoya more shops.

Language, most shopkeepers can speak England, Chingland and Teochew.

Last but not least, you're a millionair just by changing out SGD100+ :XD:

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

I think capitaland kills the enjoyment of shopping mall. With FarEast, theirs are mixture of different outlets although their malls aren't big. If I blindfold you then lead you into one of the shops in one of their malls, you cannot tell which mall :a-bang:  It is a cut and paste concept. 

The worst is, more than 50% of the so called shopping malls are F&B outlets. Then the balance are repetitive branded shops. So after visiting one, no need to go further lah.

The way I see our sub urban malls are designed to repeat what was successful in other estate catering to the HDB catchment. If this is the concept, there is no need to travel beyond your neigbourhood.

Yup. Most malls are mirror images of others.

Typically, will have:

- food court (kopitiam, food junction, food republic, koufu, food fare)

- cinemas

- supermarket (ntuc, cold storage, giant)

- fast food (Mac, BK, KFC)

- the eatery chains

- confectionery chains

- DIY shop

- medical/dental clinic

- IT/telcos

- Popular

- Courts/Best/Harvey Norman

- sports

- restaurants/eateries

- banks

- departmental stores

and some have MRT/bus interchange to top it up

Recently, i mostly go to capital land malls. Not becos i like them or think they are so fantastic, but cos got vouchers, slowly use...  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Weekend coming

Which mall u think best to go? Kind of first world problem lol

I find sg got alot malls but none attracted me to the extent drive there to visit

Only a few i bother to go like imm, vivocity, westgate+jem and maybe jurong point

Other good malls like ion and mbs but parking super ex. Sian half

Any other good mall suggestion? Prefer spacious type, nice decor, ample parking and wide range of food lol. Sometimes i see our malls concept lose out to bkk badly. Here too boring ald

For you.... should just go Lucky Plaza.

On Sunday.

[:p]

• Praise 1

For you.... should just go Lucky Plaza.

On Sunday.

[:p]

Jolibee? Haha

Take a ferry to Batam Island...

The most expensive item probably is the ferry ticket. LOL...

Hair cut $2

Movie approx $3-4

Meals at coffee shops and restaurants = cheap cheap, except "hawker centres"/food courts where food prices seem to be on the high side. A bit of a shock to me.

Hotel stay approx $35/night

Massage (foot) $10 per hour

[:)]

BCS vs Nagoya Hill, I choose BCS though Nagoya more shops.

Language, most shopkeepers can speak England, Chingland and Teochew.

Last but not least, you're a millionair just by changing out SGD100+ :XD:

This is really good. Often did that. Though their malls look average but very cheap. Love it haha.

Went to nagoya hill, megamall, kepri mall, bcs and u shud also try Top100, its an old mall but has its own charm

I think capitaland kills the enjoyment of shopping mall. With FarEast, theirs are mixture of different outlets although their malls aren't big. If I blindfold you then lead you into one of the shops in one of their malls, you cannot tell which mall :a-bang: It is a cut and paste concept.

Yeah too much for similarity especially for dining outlet.

I think only jurong point mall has a good range of differentiated dining outlet that other mall doesnt have.

Yup. Most malls are mirror images of others.

Typically, will have:

- food court (kopitiam, food junction, food republic, koufu, food fare)

- cinemas

- supermarket (ntuc, cold storage, giant)

- fast food (Mac, BK, KFC)

- the eatery chains

- confectionery chains

- DIY shop

- medical/dental clinic

- IT/telcos

- Popular

- Courts/Best/Harvey Norman

- sports

- restaurants/eateries

- banks

- departmental stores

and some have MRT/bus interchange to top it up

Recently, i mostly go to capital land malls. Not becos i like them or think they are so fantastic, but cos got vouchers, slowly use... [laugh]

We need a mall with concept of terminal 21 bkk or berjaya times square of kl with indoor roller coaster inside or maybe edmonton mall with indoor waterpark
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2