• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
598 replies to this topic | 791 praises

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

Gs300999s
  • Gs300999s
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Just got back from their showroom, asking 148k . . . i think if negotiate till the cow comes home, can get below 145k !!!
==============================
*** Get a MAC, you won't look back ***

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

Adrianlim13
  • Premium member
    Adrianlim13
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

wha.. u 9am go showroom har... so early. sweatdrop.gif

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

Thypig33
  • Thypig33
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

which model? the previous gen?

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

That would be the 4-cyl engine.

IMO, only go for the IL-6, cos that is superior esp for the heavy chassis of the 5

Edited by RadX, 17 November 2008 - 09:31 AM.

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

Kelpie
  • Kelpie
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

IMO, only go for the IL-6, cos that is superior esp for the heavy chassis of the 5

Yap, BMW is better known for its L6. The L4s are just their cheaper/entry offerings.

Regards,
Disclaimer:
The above comments are solely my perspectives. You may disagree with it for I shall not be liable for whatever I may have input. You may feel displeased which in this case, my sincere apologies and do kindly seek moderator's advice if need be. Any obscene & threatening comments on me is a reflection of your personality. My motto is we agree to disagree. No profanity or obscenities of any kind. No personal attacks on other users. Thank you.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

I believe it was meant for that purpose...for the masses....the IL-6 523 is about 15k more.....not much diff...

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

Whiteice78
  • Premium member
    Whiteice78
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

The 520i should come with a 2.2 IL6. Only the 320i comes with the 2.0 IL4 valvetronic. Unless recently they planted the 2L in the 5 series.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

yes they did...the 4-cyl plant was intro=ed into the 520 range

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

http://www.onemotori...0/bmw_520i.html

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

Whiteice78
  • Premium member
    Whiteice78
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

That's sad man, they did it wih the current 3. now they do to the 5. haiz

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

tell me about it....damn sad thatt they brought the std down...the de facto std is still the IL-6

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

Chrispie
  • Premium member
    Chrispie
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Heard frm many taht the 520 boh lutt (underpowered)... maybe shld test drive 1st.
Baal praised this

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

needless to say....a 2.0l engine lugging that 1.5t body

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:50 AM

Whiteice78
  • Premium member
    Whiteice78
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Years ago, I borrow my mum's prev model (e39) 525 for a drive up to KL. The building up of speed from 100 to 190 was simply amazing, coupled with the sweet engine note. And interestingly, the car felt like it was getting slower at high speeds. I love BMW 6 potters inlove.gif
Baal praised this

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

The e39 still remains the best car i ever owned....solid, refined and bullet-proof...esp the 2002 onwards ones where all the bugs had been rectified...the perfect car

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Gs300999s
  • Gs300999s
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

320i basic entry model is 126k . . . very high premium as usual for a basic car, don't even have electric sliding seat or xenon lights for that price!
Baal praised this
*** Get a MAC, you won't look back ***

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I would rather get a secondhand 523i upwards anytime.

doesnt mean the 520i 4cyc is lousy

anyway the current 320i and 520i are basically targetting mostly inexperienced buyers who probably care more for other things such as brand, build, etc.
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

Niteblu
  • Niteblu
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Yap, BMW is better known for its L6. The L4s are just their cheaper/entry offerings.
Regards,

True. IL-6's are silky smooth.
Often well regarded.

but what you said about their IL-4's.
Isn't quite true.
It's not just a step-down version.
the tech in the IL-4
is possible more complex than the IL-6.

In fact the double vanos/valvetronic N42 block
found in the current E90 320i's and E46 318i's.
Actually won "Engine of the Year" on it's Debut

Don't take my word for it - go Google it.

BMW makes some of the best engines around.
Best IL-6's.
Best IL-4's...

:)
Baal praised this

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:39 AM

Paddie
  • Paddie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Heard frm many taht the 520 boh lutt (underpowered)... maybe shld test drive 1st.

I was one of those who thought the 520i would be underpowered but I was very pleasantly surprised when I test drove it. Of course it's not super fast but it's very acceptable considering the specs, and the 6-speed auto is a LOT better than the Merc E200's 5-speeder. Makes the car feel responsive and crisp, unlike the Merc which has 184bhp but is jerky and unrefined.
Baal praised this

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

Falc
  • Premium member
    Falc
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I think the second hand 523 are only going for $8.5k per annum dep at your online website. How much is a new $145K 520's dep?
Baal praised this
Power isn't only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: 520I, Damn, Cheap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users