• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
98 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:01 AM

Sukoo
  • Premium member
    Sukoo
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi all
wish to know how to determine a auto gearbox haf gone kaput?
meaning slip gearbox?
as currently driving 04 wish and my previous car are all manual one
how to check and determine?
is there any way that i can repair the original one?
thank

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

Bornno1
  • Bornno1
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

while braking engage from P to D and feel for the slight jerk that the car wants to move forwards. it shld be instant.
Accelerate smoothly and feel for any unusual jerks during gear changes

Edited by Bornno1, 26 November 2008 - 10:47 AM.

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

sounds more like a worn gearbox mounting 2 mi. tongue.gif
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

when u rev hard, e autotrans seems to be having difficulty in catching up wif the engine.
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

Trex101
  • Trex101
    6th Gear
    Author Image

While driving, suddenly depress your accelerator. You should feel a surge of power, if your rpm jump up high without the acceleration then it's auto box slip.
<b>My Orange Ford Territory Ghia - Philips Xtreme Vision 130+, NGK ZFR6FIX-11 Iridium, Redline 0w30, Redline Racing ATF, Redline Heavy Weight Shockproof </b>

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

Sukoo
  • Premium member
    Sukoo
    1st Gear
    Author Image

hai
sad to sad the problem of mine is intermitten
but i realise the car behave abit different when compared wif the timethe momment i got the car i jus got it 2nd
the momment i got the car i do oil change for engine n gb
the gb oil is darn dirty
now i change oil for gb every 20k km n engine oil 7.5k km
tink tat my point of view

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Sukoo
  • Premium member
    Sukoo
    1st Gear
    Author Image

worn mounting normally will haf a lot of vibration

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Sukoo
  • Premium member
    Sukoo
    1st Gear
    Author Image

hai
now i got a feelin it mind really be the worse case
hahahahahha

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

An old tread. I might have just experienced my first gearbox slippage but it has not recurred since. Anyone can advise if they have similar experience that had not resulted in a gearbox overhaul or replacement? Thought if it is going to happen anyway, I might as well get it done anyway.

I got the car checked at AD and mechanic could not detect any anormalies during the drive as gear change is smooth, the diagnostic test also came back negative. They suggested pressure test but it will take like half a day.

Btw, is it better to do an overhaul or to replace unit with recon unit? The new unit costs like 8k, I was told while overhaul costs like 3-4k.

TIA for any advice.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

An old tread. I might have just experienced my first gearbox slippage but it has not recurred since. Anyone can advise if they have similar experience that had not resulted in a gearbox overhaul or replacement? Thought if it is going to happen anyway, I might as well get it done anyway.

I got the car checked at AD and mechanic could not detect any anormalies during the drive as gear change is smooth, the diagnostic test also came back negative. They suggested pressure test but it will take like half a day.

Btw, is it better to do an overhaul or to replace unit with recon unit? The new unit costs like 8k, I was told while overhaul costs like 3-4k.

TIA for any advice.

What car you driving.?
Mazda 6..2.5.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

What car you driving.?

Accord, mileage 110k.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Usually for Japanese gearbox 110k km is not alot,maybe you can change the fluid,do a pressure test & see the outcome,i got a friend driving a 2.4L Accord,his mileage is over 200k km,also not yet give him problem.
Mazda 6..2.5.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hotfavourite
i new driver..dun bully me..hahaha...i think u can do all suggested..but reset ecu also important....later ECU ur driving habits sometimes wanna push the engine mah..so maybe..ecu dunno what u want ..so gear change anyhow....haha..i dunno..just i think my auto gearbox..need atf....change...50k i think..as manual..or 50 miles..?

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hotfavourite

Usually for Japanese gearbox 110k km is not alot,maybe you can change the fluid,do a pressure test & see the outcome,i got a friend driving a 2.4L Accord,his mileage is over 200k km,also not yet give him problem.

ya..just noticed...japanese gearbox seems super..compared to continental..no human touch..all continental seem complain on gear box esp dsg...many many... biggrin.gif

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Thanks.

I changed my ATF every 20-30kkm, very kiasu when it comes to the gearbox. Yeap, I have not heard of major issues with the CM5 gearbox although an overhaul at around 180kkm is not uncommon.

I am just wondering if could this be a one-off thingy as the drive and pick up is still the same after the incident. Will probably do a pressure test just to be sure but hoping to save that trip if such occurance can occur with a prefectly working gearbox once in a blue moon. biggrin.gif

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i new driver..dun bully me..hahaha...i think u can do all suggested..but reset ecu also important....later ECU ur driving habits sometimes wanna push the engine mah..so maybe..ecu dunno what u want ..so gear change anyhow....haha..i dunno..just i think my auto gearbox..need atf....change...50k i think..as manual..or 50 miles..?

Thanks. ATF change usually around 40k for Jap makes. Not sure if it could be an ECU issue but I did a stop and restart exercise after the slippage.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It turned out that the transmission fluid was slightly on the low side and the problem could possibly be caused by cracked engine mounts, which have been replaced. The gearbox passed the pressure test with flying colours, it is a relief to know the transmission is not facing premature death. biggrin.gif

It is interesting to know engine mounts can cause gearbox slippage.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It turned out that the transmission fluid was slightly on the low side and the problem could possibly be caused by cracked engine mounts, which have been replaced. The gearbox passed the pressure test with flying colours, it is a relief to know the transmission is not facing premature death. biggrin.gif

It is interesting to know engine mounts can cause gearbox slippage.

Engine mounting & transmission are completely different items,bad mounting cannot cause transmission to slip,yes,low transmission fluid can cause slippage,don't let the mechanic fool you....maybe he wants to earn more $$,just tell you change the mounting,topping up fluid cannot charge you much.
Mazda 6..2.5.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Camrysfa
  • Premium member
    Camrysfa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Is it true putting to NEUTRAL mode if stationary in traffic light will lessen the stress on the auto-gearbox?

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Engine mounting & transmission are completely different items,bad mounting cannot cause transmission to slip,yes,low transmission fluid can cause slippage,don't let the mechanic fool you....maybe he wants to earn more $$,just tell you change the mounting,topping up fluid cannot charge you much.

I went to AD and I was shown the cracks on the front and side engine mounts. Got it changed as problem will get worse if not fixed and I intend to drive the car for a few more years. Theoretically, the motor mounts are there to keep the engine aligned properly with the rest of the drivetrain, so won't be possible for the drivetrain to lose some power if they are not in a "straight" line?

Anyway, the transmission fluid is probably the main cause as they voluntarily waived all charges relating to the pressure test and the ATF top up in view that all my servicing are done there.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users