How to determine slip auto gearbox ?

Sukoo

Neutral Newbie

hi all

wish to know how to determine a auto gearbox haf gone kaput?

meaning slip gearbox?

as currently driving 04 wish and my previous car are all manual one

how to check and determine?

is there any way that i can repair the original one?

thank

↡ Advertisement

while braking engage from P to D and feel for the slight jerk that the car wants to move forwards. it shld be instant.

Accelerate smoothly and feel for any unusual jerks during gear changes

Edited by Bornno1

While driving, suddenly depress your accelerator. You should feel a surge of power, if your rpm jump up high without the acceleration then it's auto box slip.

Neutral Newbie

hai

sad to sad the problem of mine is intermitten

but i realise the car behave abit different when compared wif the timethe momment i got the car i jus got it 2nd

the momment i got the car i do oil change for engine n gb

the gb oil is darn dirty

now i change oil for gb every 20k km n engine oil 7.5k km

tink tat my point of view

An old tread. I might have just experienced my first gearbox slippage but it has not recurred since. Anyone can advise if they have similar experience that had not resulted in a gearbox overhaul or replacement? Thought if it is going to happen anyway, I might as well get it done anyway.

I got the car checked at AD and mechanic could not detect any anormalies during the drive as gear change is smooth, the diagnostic test also came back negative. They suggested pressure test but it will take like half a day.

Btw, is it better to do an overhaul or to replace unit with recon unit? The new unit costs like 8k, I was told while overhaul costs like 3-4k.

TIA for any advice.

An old tread. I might have just experienced my first gearbox slippage but it has not recurred since. Anyone can advise if they have similar experience that had not resulted in a gearbox overhaul or replacement? Thought if it is going to happen anyway, I might as well get it done anyway.

I got the car checked at AD and mechanic could not detect any anormalies during the drive as gear change is smooth, the diagnostic test also came back negative. They suggested pressure test but it will take like half a day.

Btw, is it better to do an overhaul or to replace unit with recon unit? The new unit costs like 8k, I was told while overhaul costs like 3-4k.

TIA for any advice.

What car you driving.?

Usually for Japanese gearbox 110k km is not alot,maybe you can change the fluid,do a pressure test & see the outcome,i got a friend driving a 2.4L Accord,his mileage is over 200k km,also not yet give him problem.

i new driver..dun bully me..hahaha...i think u can do all suggested..but reset ecu also important....later ECU ur driving habits sometimes wanna push the engine mah..so maybe..ecu dunno what u want ..so gear change anyhow....haha..i dunno..just i think my auto gearbox..need atf....change...50k i think..as manual..or 50 miles..?

Usually for Japanese gearbox 110k km is not alot,maybe you can change the fluid,do a pressure test & see the outcome,i got a friend driving a 2.4L Accord,his mileage is over 200k km,also not yet give him problem.

ya..just noticed...japanese gearbox seems super..compared to continental..no human touch..all continental seem complain on gear box esp dsg...many many... :D

Thanks.

I changed my ATF every 20-30kkm, very kiasu when it comes to the gearbox. Yeap, I have not heard of major issues with the CM5 gearbox although an overhaul at around 180kkm is not uncommon.

I am just wondering if could this be a one-off thingy as the drive and pick up is still the same after the incident. Will probably do a pressure test just to be sure but hoping to save that trip if such occurance can occur with a prefectly working gearbox once in a blue moon. :D

i new driver..dun bully me..hahaha...i think u can do all suggested..but reset ecu also important....later ECU ur driving habits sometimes wanna push the engine mah..so maybe..ecu dunno what u want ..so gear change anyhow....haha..i dunno..just i think my auto gearbox..need atf....change...50k i think..as manual..or 50 miles..?

Thanks. ATF change usually around 40k for Jap makes. Not sure if it could be an ECU issue but I did a stop and restart exercise after the slippage.

It turned out that the transmission fluid was slightly on the low side and the problem could possibly be caused by cracked engine mounts, which have been replaced. The gearbox passed the pressure test with flying colours, it is a relief to know the transmission is not facing premature death. :D

It is interesting to know engine mounts can cause gearbox slippage.

It turned out that the transmission fluid was slightly on the low side and the problem could possibly be caused by cracked engine mounts, which have been replaced. The gearbox passed the pressure test with flying colours, it is a relief to know the transmission is not facing premature death. :D

It is interesting to know engine mounts can cause gearbox slippage.

Engine mounting & transmission are completely different items,bad mounting cannot cause transmission to slip,yes,low transmission fluid can cause slippage,don't let the mechanic fool you....maybe he wants to earn more $$,just tell you change the mounting,topping up fluid cannot charge you much.

↡ Advertisement