Where to buy used piano?

Eddie47

ah....you also play pop songs actually....I realised my sight reading is damn good now coz you only need to learn 1 hand's! hahaa....thats like cheating.....and you get to enjoy playing music and sounds like professional so quickly....

↡ Advertisement

if can buy directly from those selling, then its definitely very cheap. But the thing is.....how to find these group of ppl wanting to sell? They seldom advertise on papers. They look in classifieds for those who offer to buy their pianos and they sell it for 10% of their original price.

1 problem with buying direct is that, you'll have to pay quite a fair bit to transport the piano. Normal movers arent' so experienced with pianos. The experienced ones charges alot and they are also selling them [sly]

Can I know how much they charge for tuning?

I used to have a good contact where he charges $50? for tuning and he's damn experienced. ie, not the types who just come and chop chop tune and go. He sometimes uses some pins to poke the hammers to tune the individual tune as sometimes my piano has the "metallic sound" and to make it more "mellow".

But I lost this contact and now I could only find tuners who do the standard tuning. Appreciate any contacts...

can't remember.. thats more than a year ago. [laugh]

at that time it was going for about 4k-ish.

comparing it to cars... actually.. it's more of a hyundai avante (make/design/assemble in korea) vs. toyota vios (design in japan, make elsewhere with other wood) sort of thing.

maybe the more experts can comment. For me, I wanted a piano is because I was thinking of picking it up while learning guitar... then after that I realise I was attempting to do wave surfing and fly at the same time. [laugh]

Bringing this thread up.

I bought a Pearl River. I know, I know it is MIC. but it is a mid-range MIC. Furthermore Cristofori is offering 1.5k buy back if I return within 2yrs.

The Yamaha is damn ex especially a U1. 9k for it and the Pearl River is 3X cheaper.

If my wife and girl gets good at it, I'll get Cristofori to buy it back and I will then get a Hailun (another MIC but higher quality) or a Wendl and Lung which is basically a rebadged Hailun.

The best thing to do when you are shopping for a piano is to go and hear as many pianos as possible. Then you will know what you like.. Best if you can get someone who can play to go with you if you are a beginner.

Bringing this thread up.

I bought a Pearl River. I know, I know it is MIC. but it is a mid-range MIC. Furthermore Cristofori is offering 1.5k buy back if I return within 2yrs.

The Yamaha is damn ex especially a U1. 9k for it and the Pearl River is 3X cheaper.

If my wife and girl gets good at it, I'll get Cristofori to buy it back and I will then get a Hailun (another MIC but higher quality) or a Wendl and Lung which is basically a rebadged Hailun.

i bought a used Pearl River from a piano teacher when my girl pick up piano 6 years ago (when she was in k2) only cost us $800 [thumbsup] thinking of upgrading the piano now <_<

Actually a lot advice from the Piano World forum. There is this thread on buying a piano in SG and that thread 66 pages long!

So far the tuners, teachers, experts there agree that the MIC pianos have wide ranging quality Pearl River is good for cheapness since it is mass produced and they OE for Yamaha also. The best of all the MIC is Hailun. It is a bargain if you can get it. The sound is good but those used to Yamaha might not like it because the keys are heavy. Typical European stuff and they make for Wendl & Lung.

Went to the Cristfofori warehouse for used piano, everytime go there, the Yamahas are sold. Gone! Seems like the Toyota of pianos.

Nobody is touching the Kawais there. Lots of Kawais. Dunno why. Most of these are 20-30yrs old and cost 3k. Might as well get a brand new Pearl River then if get good at it or lost interest, sell down the river. :D

I've got enough education to move away from using the piano as a piece of furniture.

My sis got it easy. My dad paid for the piano and when she married, it became her "ka zhong". :D

My style now is that the piano is bought with my own money so it effectively belongs to my wife also. The girls, if they get married, they can't bring it with them. Got to buy their own piano. [lipsrsealed]

Anyway, to upgrade, those guys and piano world seem to give the Hailun or Wendl and Lung the thumsup.

Got a Kawai full exam set to let go for 3k. Bought it about 10 years ago. Very seldom used, but regularly tuned.

Got my Pearl River already.

See if Cristofori wants it. Dunno why, their used piano warehouse lots of unsold Kawais. Most of them 20-30yrs old. Sounds OK but what do I know?

As far as I know Yamaha pianos do not go out of tune easily and can hold the pitch quite constantly even if you dun tune it regularly.

If many used piano in the warehouse, can only mean those who learn and buy from there gave up learning prematurely. It's common, you will tend to see a lot of ppl give up after some time.

Edited by Watwheels

there's a yamaha piano fair coming at suntec convention

date: 4th - 5th april 2009

Room: 202 (performance)

Room: 208, 209 (piano display)

tine: 10am - 5pm

u can make a trip down to do some homework and survey.

most impt ask urself how much are u willing to invest in the instrument and the skills.

if u're willing and planning to go far, it would be best to get a exam model. the quality of the keys and sounds will help ur techniques in playing.

like any other sports or skills, the higher u go, the better instruments or tools u'd need to fit the learning.

i teach piano and i realized the piano plays a big part to how the student plays and their techniques in fingering and tonality. a good piano will oso help motivate practices. (juz my 2 cents opinion)

i gt my U series silent piano at the fair a few years back. comparing it to buying it off the showroom, the fair is much more worth as they will provide u free goodies like free tunings or other accessories.

and juz like getting a 2nd hand car, u need to know if the condition is ok.

=)

have fun!

[flowerface]

Actually every acoustic piano goes out of tune. If it doesn't it means you have not been playing it enough. My sis when she was learning, the Yamaha U1 needed to be tuned every quarter. This also mean she is really hitting it.

There is no such thing as go out of tune often by just sitting there or from normal play.

We'll see first. If things look good, will upgrade to a Hailun or W&L.