NSmen Liability & Completion

Joey

Neutral Newbie

Bros,

Does anyone know what ICT National Service Award mean?

I was checking my NS record and realised they gave me a NS award this year under the award section.

I have served 7 high and 2 low key for my ICT so far.

Question is : Does this NS award equal to posting to Mindef reserve (MR) list soon?

I got this from NS website on completion of NS liability :

---------------------------------

Completion of NS Training Cycle

Upon completion of your NS training cycle, you will be posted to the MINDEF Reserve (MR) List and be presented with a Certificate of Appreciation. Those who satisfy the criteria for the SAF NS medal will also receive a personalised watch in recognition of their service to the SAF and the nation. While in MR, you may still be called up for national service, as you remain liable for national service up to the age of 50 for Officers and 40 for WOSEs. You are to disregard your previous unit's mobilisation codewords as you are not required to report for mobilisation activation for your previous units. Should there be a need to mobilise you while you are in MR, you will be informed of your codewords accordingly. You are however, still required to abide by the existing exit controls up to your statutory age limit.

----------------------------------

Cos i had friends who served 7 high and 2 low who got their letter & i understand normally if serve 7 then consider finish liao.

The NS clerk in my unit is of no use when i called up to ask. Cause me more confusion instead.

Can't wait to finish my liability as the RT thingy is really irriating and affecting my work and family life.

tks for any advise

↡ Advertisement

im nw in my 5th high key and 9th NS cycle year.... (9 years after ORD)..

now im 1st SGT... will my ns liability be extended for few years for 1st SGT or if i kena promote to Staff Serg???

No to both of ur questions

And i think they won't bother abt ur NS cycle year. It's either u reached 40yrs for WOSE first or u completed the min num of high key first

You are eligible to be posted to MR when u complete 7HK & 3LK ICTs AND served at least 10 years in NS (Reservist) counting from the date of your first ICT. i.e ORD Feb 1995, first ICT Sep 1998. 10 years service due on Sep 2008.

Posting to MR is not obligatory. It depends on if you/ your unit have a ready replacement on-hand but from what I know, Nsmen are normally posted to MR when the above 2 conditions are satisfied but my unit had to do one more ICT (high) becos the replacement unit was not ready.

You will receive a letter specifically telling you (rank, name + IC number) that you have been posted to MR and the actual date that you will be posted. There might be a slight difference between your last ICT and MR date but dun worry too much about it except make sure that you don't lapse on your annual IPPT. Alternatively, you can check with your unit (if u feel like vomiting blood) or NSmen hotline. Also, you will notice that your credits to buy stuffs will be taken away from you.

NSmen award is for 10 year service w/o disciplinary action if I am not wrong.

Therefore, in your case, you have completed 10 years of NS service but you are one HK ICT from being eligible for MR.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you. Btw, I was no bloody clerk.

I think 7HK is the min. Not so much abt LK. Yes even if u complete ur 7HK but not 10 yr NS, u cannot MR. Like for my case, next yr i shld have complete my HK requirement but not my 10 yr NS so my unit inform us, we will not be able to MR so no point going back ICT next yr. We can only MR if we meet both criteria. Damn it. 1 more yr.............

There is a medal for 5 year. Then a medal and watch for 10 year.

Anyway, I received my 5 yr award after my 10 year one. Right on my MR ceremony. Trust SAF to screw up my last event.

Bro,

I ord in 1997, had my first ICT in 2005, which means I'm only liable for MR in 2015. I am 35 yrs old next yr (2009) and by the time I turn 40 yrs old, it will be in 2014. I have served 2 HK so far during my ICT.

Is SAF going to discharge me when I turn 40 yrs old irregardless whether I have fulfilled the 7HK & 3 LK and 10 yrs cycle?

Anybody can provide more info if you are in similar situation.

Thanks

Edited by Huat138

Neutral Newbie

Tks for the comprehensive and detailed reply. Crystal clear.

Cos i started my 1st ICT in Jul 1999 so i guess the medal is for 10 years service instead of signaling the posting of MR List. [:/]

Edited by Joey

Bros,

Does anyone know what ICT National Service Award mean?

I was checking my NS record and realised they gave me a NS award this year under the award section.

I have served 7 high and 2 low key for my ICT so far.

Question is : Does this NS award equal to posting to Mindef reserve (MR) list soon?

I got this from NS website on completion of NS liability :

---------------------------------

Completion of NS Training Cycle

Upon completion of your NS training cycle, you will be posted to the MINDEF Reserve (MR) List and be presented with a Certificate of Appreciation. Those who satisfy the criteria for the SAF NS medal will also receive a personalised watch in recognition of their service to the SAF and the nation. While in MR, you may still be called up for national service, as you remain liable for national service up to the age of 50 for Officers and 40 for WOSEs. You are to disregard your previous unit's mobilisation codewords as you are not required to report for mobilisation activation for your previous units. Should there be a need to mobilise you while you are in MR, you will be informed of your codewords accordingly. You are however, still required to abide by the existing exit controls up to your statutory age limit.

----------------------------------

Cos i had friends who served 7 high and 2 low who got their letter & i understand normally if serve 7 then consider finish liao.

The NS clerk in my unit is of no use when i called up to ask. Cause me more confusion instead.

Can't wait to finish my liability as the RT thingy is really irriating and affecting my work and family life.

tks for any advise

It means crap...sorry you have wasted your effort and time. [sly][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yah, got to look like crap in the cyber world afterall, Pinky who draws more salary than any leaders of the G7 or G10 or G whatever nations keep dishing out crap to the peasants everyday! [sly]

If he can dish out craps...why can't I? [laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

I served two terms, 7 years each. So it's different. My NS term is only 7 high keys.

Norm would be 6 and 10 if I'm not wrong, now.

the medal is long service award? i got mine after serving 5 yr NS. 10 yr still got another?
↡ Advertisement