Pharmacy purchases in Malaysia

Genie47

For those who like to venture up north for shopping, don't forget to buy medicine.

I will start first.

Shop: Watson's

Medicine: Arcoxia (etoricoxib, an NSAID)

Manufacturer: MSD

Price: MYR3.80 per 90mg tablet, MYR38 for a strip of 10.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

buy medicine for

Anything.

The mentioned Arcoxia is an NSAID that is very fast acting. Only under prescription in SG but apparently I was surprised to find it from the pharmacy at Watson's.

Search for etoricoxib in Wiki. I used it once for 3 days due to a toothache. Pain subsided within 15min for the 1st dose. Once a day dose. Good stuff.

Over there, I found 400mg tablets of ibuprofen (Nurofen). We only have 200mg versions and have take 2 for each dose.

Among other stuff I found very affordable are Approvel (irbesartan) and Norvasc (amlodipin) which are both for hypertension control. However, generic amlodipin from my doctor is much cheaper than the original Norvasc. Unless you are a sucker for original medicine, generic medicines are indeed cheaper if you can find them either here or Malaysia.

Celebrex is also available though the star now is Arcoxia. However, if you have been prescribed these medicines before and know how to use them, Malaysia has cheaper medicine.

How about medicine that needs prescription here, but over there no need?

I always wanted to stock up Ora-corte, but need precription, so average a visit to the doc usually cost about $40 for a small tube. The other is pain killer ibuprofen. I know in Uk and USA can get it from the shelf. Can't find in singapore..

How about medicine that needs prescription here, but over there no need?

I always wanted to stock up Ora-corte, but need precription, so average a visit to the doc usually cost about $40 for a small tube. The other is pain killer ibuprofen. I know in Uk and USA can get it from the shelf. Can't find in singapore..

Ibuprofen (brufen) is available from MY as Nurofen. Same as here but in 400mg tablets instead of the usual 200mg. In SG you can find it from the pharmacy like Guardian or Watson's.

If it is long term pain relief and you are not going to develop heart disease or have heart disease, see if your doctor prescribes Arcoxia.

long term usage of nsaids (eg ponstan or ibuprofen) can result in the development of peptic ulcer disease, more less so with cox-2 inhibitors like arcoxia.

People with co-existing gastric problem should not take the above medications.

but ,true, arcoxia is good for pain control be it toothache ,earache or menstrual cramps. [thumbsup] . i use it post execise to reduce post exercise muscle pain..

• Praise 1

For those who like to venture up north for shopping, don't forget to buy medicine.

I will start first.

Haha...I used to get my supply of Audace PH Performance hair fall control tonic at about RM40 over (can't remember exactly how much) from that Watson then I realized that I could get it at around RM31 from Tesco TC pharmacy.

Regards,

• Praise 1

Buy from their gov hospital lagi cheaper....RM1 for consultation + medication....

Many poor SG folks on long term medical goes there to seek treatment....because of our brilliant Medisave scheme....

• Praise 1

long term usage of nsaids (eg ponstan or ibuprofen) can result in the development of peptic ulcer disease, more less so with cox-2 inhibitors like arcoxia.

People with co-existing gastric problem should not take the above medications.

but ,true, arcoxia is good for pain control be it toothache ,earache or menstrual cramps. [thumbsup] . i use it post execise to reduce post exercise muscle pain..

Problem with Arcoxia and other COX-2 inhibitors is that there is increased incidence of heart disease. Be careful with that. Use but not too high a dose. I think 90mg is what I got from Watson's. There should be a 60mg version around. Didn't see it but saw the 120mg version.

I will start first.

Yup, been getting my Zestril from JB for at least the past 2 years, cost is less than half of what my neighbourhood clinic charges and no prescription needed...Singapore really need to ease up on the need to get doctor's prescriptions for most drugs.

Neutral Newbie

i agree.... getting medicine in other countries is really cheaper... my zyrtec for sinus is only half price in thailand, and its not the OEM one, its the real deal from europe...

There is also a pharmacy just outside Carrefour. Free membership and once signed up, can get 10% discount on all medication purchased. (not applicable to shampoos like Audance, etc... just only medication)

Neutral Newbie

There is also a pharmacy just outside Carrefour. Free membership and once signed up, can get 10% discount on all medication purchased. (not applicable to shampoos like Audance, etc... just only medication)

Just outside? I dun remember. !st floor where the carpark is?

Anything.

The mentioned Arcoxia is an NSAID that is very fast acting. Only under prescription in SG but apparently I was surprised to find it from the pharmacy at Watson's.

Search for etoricoxib in Wiki. I used it once for 3 days due to a toothache. Pain subsided within 15min for the 1st dose. Once a day dose. Good stuff.

Over there, I found 400mg tablets of ibuprofen (Nurofen). We only have 200mg versions and have take 2 for each dose.

Among other stuff I found very affordable are Approvel (irbesartan) and Norvasc (amlodipin) which are both for hypertension control. However, generic amlodipin from my doctor is much cheaper than the original Norvasc. Unless you are a sucker for original medicine, generic medicines are indeed cheaper if you can find them either here or Malaysia.

Celebrex is also available though the star now is Arcoxia. However, if you have been prescribed these medicines before and know how to use them, Malaysia has cheaper medicine.

Hi there,

Though generic drugs are cheaper, they have have more side effects. Most of the generics do not conduct bio-equivalant test, so the quality and release profile.......question mark.

Just my 1 cent

No, its at the 2nd floor. Just facing their checkout registers. (More accurately facing their non-halal section)

Just outside? I dun remember. !st floor where the carpark is?

Medicine is cheaper in msia..remind me of the movie "SICKO" directed by Michael Moore. The same guy who directed fahrenheit 911 etc..

SICKO weblink

US citizens go cuba and canada buy medicines at dirt cheap prices..

My colleague buy propescia there at 20+ to 30+ cheaper than SG.

Edited by Tarzan666
↡ Advertisement