Food in Johor Bahru

Genie47

OK just back from JB again for food hunting.

The dim sum place that posted from HWZ is Gui Yuan. To get there, do as you would to Jusco TC but don't turn into TC. Just a little further is the slip left to the overpass into Tmn Johor Jaya. After the overpass, turn right at the first traffic light. You will first pass ... oh what the....

Use http://maps.google.com to get to the locale with its directions thingy.

The full street name is

Jalan Dedap 8

Taman Johor Jaya, 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

This is my best guesstimate using Google Earth for the coordinates:

Lat: 1

Eh? Kelpie? Its me lah!

Safe? That is relative. Johor Jaya looks alright. Traffic is high and busy from noon onwards. I can't say for the night 'cus I've not been there at night.

My bad, my bad. [blush][blush][blush]

I don't visit certain places in JB where we are eyeballed the minutes we stepped out of our car. Hence my question. To me, Jusco TC, Pelangi Plaza are ok. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I love good food but am discouraged from visiting unfamiliar places in JB due to security concerns. I actually feel safer in KL, the food there are also generally better than those in Singapore.

Edited by Voodooman

Came back from JB. Had lunch at Restoran Hwa Mui. Ate the Hainanese Chicken Chop. The Hwa Mui Kway Teow is not bad. Like hor fun with the same smokey charred hor fun flavor.

the kway teow is power. got alot of 'wok hey'. A must try.

• Praise 1

The dim sum place that posted from HWZ is Gui Yuan. To get there, do as you would to Jusco TC but don't turn into TC. Just a little further is the slip left to the overpass into Tmn Johor Jaya. After the overpass, turn right at the first traffic light. You will first pass ... oh what the....

The full street name is

Jalan Dedap 8

• Praise 1

Hi Genie47,

Is Gui Yuan open 7 days a week? any off day?

As for the parking coupons, can the same coupons be used at Taman Tebrau and Taman Sentosa? Actually, which area need to use parking coupon in JB?

Regards

Regarding the parking coupon for Tmn Johor Jaya, it is Zon B. See if your coupon is Zon B.

My bad, my bad. [blush][blush][blush]

I don't visit certain places in JB where we are eyeballed the minutes we stepped out of our car. Hence my question. To me, Jusco TC, Pelangi Plaza are ok. Anyway, thanks for sharing. I love good food but am discouraged from visiting unfamiliar places in JB due to security concerns. I actually feel safer in KL, the food there are also generally better than those in Singapore.

KL is not necessarily safer but I do think that SS2 of PJ has even better food than the whole of Malaysia combined is much safer than KL.

You just have to take the precautions when it comes to crime. I got a Perak native friend who got robbed at the same bus stop twice. It was quite a non-event. Robber didn't attempt any snatch or anything. He as asked nicely for his wallet which he prompty gave up! [speechless] It was 5yrs apart for the incident.

I was there yesterday morning too..... was there about 9.20am and left about 10:20am..... hmmmm.... where were you seated?

I was seated on the road just infront of the Chee Cheong Fun maker (maybe about his 2 o'clock. I was lucky and managed to park just 2 car park lots away from where we were seated. (next to the white CRV & infront of the health centre).

Didn't see anymore Sg cars nearby.

Has more or less the same things you mentioned. But we spent RM$53 for the lot my family ate. [:p] (13 baskets, 3 plates of Chee Cheong Fun, 2 can drinks + 1 teh)

The full street name is

Jalan Dedap 8

• Praise 1

Seated at the round table next to the pao steamer. I'm facing outside. Pao steamer is 9 o'clock, fridge is 3 o'clock. Cheong fun steamer is roughly 1-2 o'clock.

You have started your thread Wolvie, maintain it. It has nothing to do with JB food here.

FYI, no one has reported your posts. I have even tolerated your post on JBer's pee-ing everywhere as it smacks of bigotry. Keep within the boundaries if you want to have fun. There are Malaysians in this forum.

Regarding the parking coupon for Tmn Johor Jaya, it is Zon B. See if your coupon is Zon B.

Just went to Gui Yuan this morning around 8.30am. Parked right infront of Gui Yuan. Half way thru the meal, park attendant came and checked parking coupon. Gui Yuan 's staff blew whistle to alarm the customers. Everyone come out to put the coupon. hahaha, I do not have the coupon, buy 40sen coupon from the staff on the spot.

Btw, Gui Yuan closes every monday night till tuesday morning. So effective opening hour is Tuesday 9 pm to monday 12 noon.

• Praise 1