Creative Technology becomes Destructive liao

Darth_mel

yes. actually i follow IT stuff in general but I've never heard of roar until today.

Phew. Thought I was the only one. :D

↡ Advertisement

Just bought a pair of Creative speakers for my children's PC. Pretty good.

Creative Technology is definitely what they used to be in their hay days. Nevertheless, their products are still good and I will continue to buy them.

I have a pair of Cambridge Soundworks which I bought 18-20 years ago and they are still working. Sounds good but have been replaced by a set of Bose Companion 3. Eyeing the Bose Companion 2 for my office PC. Yup the building does look run down. Last time they used to have sales there but mostly refurbished sets.

Creative didn't know how to market their MP3 thou they are the first to introduce it.

I'm not impressed when they say "hey my mp3 players comes in 12 colours"

So what?

very very unlikely that roar will let creative make a comeback...it probably buy it some time though...

truth is that roar is selling like hot cakes but u got to rem it's a very competitive market segment....

In fact u take a close look at roar, u will realise why creative is failing...it is the best example u can find -

instead of focusing on the key features and functionalities, they try to cramp every single thing into 1 device...regardless if its useful or just downright ridiculous...example, do u know your creative roar can emit loud siren to scare off burglars?

will anyone actually use such a function at all?? Flip over to the rear of the unit and you can see how complicated it is....

Why no can opener?

• Praise 1

Miles, on 11 Aug 2014 - 2:28 PM, said:

• - - -

Even Samsung who spent 3 times more than Apple on marketing couldnt really compete with Apple on US soil because of their biasness.

• - - -

aided by some power hand . . . .

QUOTE (2013):

In June, the U.S. International Trade Commission banned the import of older iPhones and iPads, ruling that the devices infringed on one of Samsung’s most basic patents, regarding the way cell phones connect to a network. On Friday, however, the Obama Administration came to Apple’s rescue and vetoed the ban, a step no President has taken since 1987. (Samsung was the disappointed party then, too.) Obama did not simply bail out America’s homegrown high-tech champion; he showed how he plans to use the Oval Office to reform the U.S. patent system, one of the promised centerpieces of his technology policy.

Another crappy results from Creative -

THURSDAY, AUGUST 7, 2014
Creative Technology
Creative Technology: Creative posted a 4QFY14 net off of US$3.4m, versus a net loss of US$6.5m the previous year, taking FY14 net loss to US$21.7m versus a net profit of US$16.7m. The net profit from the previous year was largely due to other income gains of $28.2m, fuelled by a one-time licensing income and gain on divestment of a subsidiary company, barring which FY13 would have also been in the red. Revenue for the quarter was down 23.7% due to the uncertain and difficult market conditions which continued to affect the sales of the Group’s products and impacted sales across the group’s three geographical regions of Asia-Pacific, America and Europe. On its prospects, the group highlighted that it had introduced a number of new and exciting products during the year, particularly the Sound Blaster Roar, a high performance wireless portable speaker, which has seen positive reception. The successful launch of the Sound Blaster Roar is expected to provide good potential revenue growth opportunities in FY15, and with the Sound Blaster Roar beginning to contribute to revenue in the current quarter, Creative expects an improvement in revenue from the current levels and to report a lower operating loss. At the current price, Creative trades at ~0.93x P/B. The group has proposed a dividend of $0.05, taking its full year pay-out to $0.15, which represents a yield of 6.7
  • Praise 1

Creative should move into the financial sector, offering accounting services.

Anyone will love Creative Accounting, sure will make any company's P&L statement look good ! [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Phew. Thought I was the only one. :D

neither have I, but that goes w/o saying for a tech laggard like me. I just turned to the side to ask my colleague whos more into these stuff.....neither has he heard.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 7, 2014
Creative Technology
Creative Technology: Creative posted a 4QFY14 net off of US$3.4m, versus a net loss of US$6.5m the previous year, taking FY14 net loss to US$21.7m versus a net profit of US$16.7m. The net profit from the previous year was largely due to other income gains of $28.2m, fuelled by a one-time licensing income and gain on divestment of a subsidiary company, barring which FY13 would have also been in the red. Revenue for the quarter was down 23.7% due to the uncertain and difficult market conditions which continued to affect the sales of the Group’s products and impacted sales across the group’s three geographical regions of Asia-Pacific, America and Europe. On its prospects, the group highlighted that it had introduced a number of new and exciting products during the year, particularly the Sound Blaster Roar, a high performance wireless portable speaker, which has seen positive reception. The successful launch of the Sound Blaster Roar is expected to provide good potential revenue growth opportunities in FY15, and with the Sound Blaster Roar beginning to contribute to revenue in the current quarter, Creative expects an improvement in revenue from the current levels and to report a lower operating loss. At the current price, Creative trades at ~0.93x P/B. The group has proposed a dividend of $0.05, taking its full year pay-out to $0.15, which represents a yield of 6.7

Now I'm in a quandary.

Should I buy their SB roar now before they stop production?

Or should I hold out for a "going out of business" sale at 70% off? [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

Why no can opener?

There is no can opener BUT there is a life saver function available!

no kidding...it is really called a life saver mode.... AND THE F DOES IT DO???

It will play music in random at full volume to keep you awake!

What kind of dumbass engineer put in such a function into a device?? And honestly who in the right mind uses that??

Well it's SIm's company. He can run it into the ground if he wants.

Creative is really living on past glory. Can't keep up with the times.

I used to have a audigy 2 zs (GOLD connectors somemore haha). Used it for several years. Finally stopped using it when it died. Almost wanted to buy a new one but then i realised that AC97 audio codecs are fairly decent in terms of music reproduction.

The only good thing left about audigy was the sound effects in gaming.

Once you decide to list the company and sell to shareholders, it is not just your company anymore.

• Praise 1

good! need more ppl like u support them! Down with Apple!

[grouphug]

me is because I dont like the way they keep sueing. Find their stuff pricey. The way they sue & apply patents, they are like aspiring to be a monopoly......so familaiar... Hence I rather throw my support to LG & SamS, esp the former as they dont have as much endorsements/advertising campaigns.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

THURSDAY, AUGUST 7, 2014
Creative Technology

I don't know how a company can survive for so many years in the red. Every year -ve [sweatdrop]

What kind of dumbass engineer put in such a function into a device?? And honestly who in the right mind uses that??

Excellent for long drives.

Then you can tell the judge (may be a Malaysian or Thai judge) that your Lifesaver startled you and made you crash. [laugh]

Some one half deaf trying to stay awake?

creative roar is a classic example of everything that is wrong with the company.... excellent product, beautiful sound production, pretty ok design.... but an freaking array of mind-boggling functions that guarantee to confuse any normal user.

To activate the siren - you need to press a button or something for 3 secs, then flick another switch....Who in the right mind will rem that esp if you are in danger and really need the siren to call for help???

They even throw in a SD card reader function into the device!?!?

Meaning u can use the device as a SD card reader if it is connected to your computer.....

creative roar is a classic example of everything that is wrong with the company.... excellent product, beautiful sound production, pretty ok design.... but an freaking array of mind-boggling functions that guarantee to confuse any normal user.

To activate the siren - you need to press a button or something for 3 secs, then flick another switch....Who in the right mind will rem that esp if you are in danger and really need the siren to call for help???

Meaning u can use the device as a SD card reader if it is connected to your computer.....

although i hold creative shares

i personally prefer sonic gear products

especially their ammegadon series

The SD card reader allows you to play music on SD cards directly as well as record audio using the 360 degree built-in MIC. Going by the reviews, these functions work very well.

Have to be fair, lah bro. But I agree that Creative products are marketed more to the engineer-geek types than typical sheeple (who would rather go for Apple-crap. I, for one, *like* having a zillion functions and spending time discovering them - even the hidden "features" that are undocumented.

I think of Sim Wong Hoo as more of a Wozniak than a Jobs. That may be his failing in the current undiscerning market.

although i hold creative shares

i personally prefer sonic gear products

especially their ammegadon series

sold off my creative shares long ago.. thank goodness.

I think they are probably the only company that placed their CEO's used Lexus LS460 (old model) probably 3 year old car as first prize in lucky draw. ... good thing is, COE probably included.

↡ Advertisement