Australia: Adelaide to Melbourne via Great Ocean Road

Boyboy

Hi all.. my first new thread in the new interface MCF [flowerface]

I'm thinking of doing a self-drive from Adelaide to Melbourne some time in Feb, and would like to ask some questions.

The very rough plan is to drive from adelaide to melbourne over 5-6 days. Do sightseeing along GOR (sightseeing anywhere and everywhere lah) for about 2 days, then arrive at melbourne and maybe visit philip island. is that too ambitious? I'm thinking the total distance will be about 1000kms. I'm ok with long distance road trips, having done SG to penang, penang to SG a few times and stopping just for food/petrol/pee.

of course, aussie driving conditions are different. i expect (i may be mistaken though) stricter enforcement of speed limits, lower speed limits, less petrol kiosk in between, and curvier roads. also, i don't plan to do more than 300km in any one day. probably will drive and stop whenever we feel like it. However, only one driver, and that's me. my wife is an OK co-driver in the sense that she stays awake, talks to me and helps look out for stuff. But she's hopeless with maps [lipsrsealed]

is it possible to rent a car from adelaide and return it at melbourne? based on the air fares, it seems best to go from adelaide to melbourne and not the other way around.

alternatively, is it better to just start from melbourne and do GOR both ways? the air fare would be even cheaper cos return flight from SG to melbourne. but i prefer the idea of a journey from A-B rather than a loop.

i'm open to suggestions. been reading some articles online but nothing beats feedback from fellow forumers who have been there and done that.

Admin and immigration issues... besides applying for the australia ETA online, nothing else right? are non-biometric passports allowed for travel down under?

↡ Advertisement

and yes its possible to rent a car in adelaide and return in melbourne.

rent from those bigger rental companies like hertz, thrifty or budget. rental is cheap so dont scrimp. get those bigger cc cars. u will enjoy a smoother ride.

yupz non biometric is ok. the australian eta u can get from travel agencies. bout $10 1 plus year ago. so shouldnt increase that much. applying online i find it a bit difficult

watch the speed limit. 2 times in melbourne i tio summon. 1 for parking, 1 for dashing red lights by 0.8secs! so they are very very strict on traffic rules.

a very long route, heard of a friend tio accident cuz he fall asleep. heng he ok but his r34 total loss!

Edited by Robo

http://www.melbourne.visitorsbureau.com.au...b-adelaide.html

This is a great route to take, stretches over 5 days, just nice for you.

But be wary, this journey is tough! Over 1000 clicks, oneway! But the worst part is the relative boredom once you're past the GOR and the Grampians. And yes, watch out for the cops, and truckies, those b@stards radio ahead to their coppa mates if you infringe on them ever so slightly. I once got caught overtaking a truck on the left, about 45 mins later, I get pulled over by a cop with a charge that I overtook illegally. When I asked him, "how do you know?" He told me the truck I overtook radioed my rego to them and they just waited for me to pass by the town they were based in!

Also, watch out for the wildlife, ran over a kangaroo once, especially towards dusk when they hop back to their homes.

great ocean rd is a very dangerous.. please be very alert...

heard of many people gg down the cliff.

huh? Many people? I've never heard of anyone falling off the cliff! I have heard of people getting trapped climbing the London Bridge when it collapsed tho...

Hi all.. my first new thread in the new interface MCF [flowerface]

I'm thinking of doing a self-drive from Adelaide to Melbourne some time in Feb, and would like to ask some questions.

The very rough plan is to drive from adelaide to melbourne over 5-6 days. Do sightseeing along GOR (sightseeing anywhere and everywhere lah) for about 2 days, then arrive at melbourne and maybe visit philip island. is that too ambitious? I'm thinking the total distance will be about 1000kms. I'm ok with long distance road trips, having done SG to penang, penang to SG a few times and stopping just for food/petrol/pee.

of course, aussie driving conditions are different. i expect (i may be mistaken though) stricter enforcement of speed limits, lower speed limits, less petrol kiosk in between, and curvier roads. also, i don't plan to do more than 300km in any one day. probably will drive and stop whenever we feel like it. However, only one driver, and that's me. my wife is an OK co-driver in the sense that she stays awake, talks to me and helps look out for stuff. But she's hopeless with maps [lipsrsealed]

is it possible to rent a car from adelaide and return it at melbourne? based on the air fares, it seems best to go from adelaide to melbourne and not the other way around.

alternatively, is it better to just start from melbourne and do GOR both ways? the air fare would be even cheaper cos return flight from SG to melbourne. but i prefer the idea of a journey from A-B rather than a loop.

i'm open to suggestions. been reading some articles online but nothing beats feedback from fellow forumers who have been there and done that.

Admin and immigration issues... besides applying for the australia ETA online, nothing else right? are non-biometric passports allowed for travel down under?

Whatever you do in great ocean road , don't drive at night . Very dangerous .

huh? Many people? I've never heard of anyone falling off the cliff! I have heard of people getting trapped climbing the London Bridge when it collapsed tho...

hmm... den i had a gf studying in australia, i was advise by the locals and friends of hers to be careful while driving,

there are alot of hairpin bends and the cliff sometimes got no barricades, many take photos or reckless during corners and fell of the cliff. how long ago all these incidents i dont know.

but it always helps to be careful.

and yes that also.they dont have road lights in many of the freeways.

And also...the whole point about driving on the GOR is the beauty....which is wasted at night!!!

And also...the whole point about driving on the GOR is the beauty....which is wasted at night!!!

Well , what I am saying is... try to finish the journey b4 nightfall or stopover some motel/hotel.

There was a fatal accident involving some singaporean students who drove at night in GOR . Heard it went head-on with a truck..

Edited by Mica_blue

A beautiful drive, brought my wife there for honeymoon in 2003.

Dont be overly bothered by too many touristy spots which you plan to see along the way.

Enjoy the route and the freedom and fresh air , stop when you want to and drive when you want to.

I drove through the deserts at night to arrive at a little town in the wee hours of the next morning. It is quite dangerous as the only lights were those coming from your car and the roads can only be seen by reflection from the small reflectors on the side.

Have a good trip. AUD is cheap now so you get to save some money while at it. heh heh

Take the GOR from Melb to Adelaide..then take the inland road back to Melb

go Grampians ...

do stop by warnambool, port fairy...etc while going up to adelaide

Melb to Adelaide and back in 5-6 days? not too shiong meh? [sweatdrop]. i'd drive 4-500km a day but i intend to visit the beaches and do some landscape photog as well

great ocean rd is a very dangerous.. please be very alert...

heard of many people gg down the cliff.

thx bro. a friend of mine had two siblings involved in accident there, but thank God both are alive and recovering (quite jialat cos headon with a SUV)

and yes its possible to rent a car in adelaide and return in melbourne.

rent from those bigger rental companies like hertz, thrifty or budget. rental is cheap so dont scrimp. get those bigger cc cars. u will enjoy a smoother ride.

Roger on the non biometric. paiseh ah, book online or can go there book? adelaide to melbourne for Thrifty is sold out, but if other companies are available and competitive, i dun mind. alternatively, i might do the round trip from melbourne (but not go all the way to adelaide) instead

http://www.melbourne.visitorsbureau.com.au...b-adelaide.html

This is a great route to take, stretches over 5 days, just nice for you.

Good call. i'd reverse it though cos flying to adelaide. dun think shd be an issue. just that thrifty.com.au dun have vehicles which i can pickup at ADL and return at MEL

totally dark right? no intention of driving at night. intend to drive between 9-3pm and not for the whole 6 hours. might exceed tt time if wanna catch sunset, but i don't wanna do long dist at night for this trip.

i do that in MY though, drive on trunk roads, NSH at night. not sure how down under compares but not intending to try.

there are alot of hairpin bends and the cliff sometimes got no barricades, many take photos or reckless during corners and fell of the cliff.

I'll leave my usual FnF ways in SG/MY [scholar] . i want to enjoy the scenery and not get booked by cops. even RM50 i also not happy to pay (but still better than the full blown fine), what more $2-300 fine as someone else mentioned. no thanx. will try to avoid at all costs. not to mention i'll be driving a stock comfort car (i'd rent a sports car if it was affordable but dun think so).

Well , what I am saying is... try to finish the journey b4 nightfall or stopover some motel/hotel.

There was a fatal accident involving some singaporean students who drove at night in GOR . Heard it went head-on with a truck..

actually, headon must be negligence and/or headlights spoil. not that i intend to do night drive. thx for the advice!

A bit ambitious for the philip island part ... quite shack

i'll probably do it if i do MEL>GOR>MEL and dun fly to adelaide. wife says we may only have 5 days now, that's why.

5 days from adelaide to MEL still can, but dun think can do philip island as u said [shakehead]

Yeh, I know what you're trying to say, night driving is dangerous usually cos of the sleep which silently creeps over you. Also, you need to be fully alert as there is an active nocturnal wildlife in Oz.

And after a full day of driving/sightseeing, the last thing you will be is alert!

i'll probably do it if i do MEL>GOR>MEL and dun fly to adelaide. wife says we may only have 5 days now, that's why.

5 days from adelaide to MEL still can, but dun think can do philip island as u said [shakehead]

Go via coastal road and back via highway. 5 days should be just right. Forget abt philip island. Its too far off mel.

I've done Mel>GOR>Grampian>Ballarat>Mel in 10 days. Abt 2500km milage. Even have maps of victoria and melbourne. I can lend to you if you want.

Btw, thier summer time doesnt really mean sunny warm day. It can still get damn cold at nite. So bring warm clothings plsssssss.

hmmm... melb ctrl to philip island is around 200+km.. its still doable.

↡ Advertisement