Australia: Adelaide to Melbourne via Great Ocean Road

Boyboy

Go via coastal road and back via highway. 5 days should be just right. Forget abt philip island. Its too far off mel.

I've done Mel>GOR>Grampian>Ballarat>Mel in 10 days. Abt 2500km milage. Even have maps of victoria and melbourne. I can lend to you if you want.

Btw, thier summer time doesnt really mean sunny warm day. It can still get damn cold at nite. So bring warm clothings plsssssss.

And when in melb stop by Tope st...

↡ Advertisement

Go via coastal road and back via highway. 5 days should be just right. Forget abt philip island. Its too far off mel.

I've done Mel>GOR>Grampian>Ballarat>Mel in 10 days. Abt 2500km milage. Even have maps of victoria and melbourne. I can lend to you if you want.

Btw, thier summer time doesnt really mean sunny warm day. It can still get damn cold at nite. So bring warm clothings plsssssss.

will PM you. i'm considering this alternative to adelaide> Melbourne. But philip island see how first. may sacrifice Ballarat to spend more time on the rest. the missus loves penguins and i love driving so phlip will be a treat. we actually have 5.5 days so see how it goes. 10 days and 2500km.. maybe i have to skip grampian national park as well. is it a "must go"? [:p]

i'm thinking of only booking one night's stay at a time from the motel before. rather than setting a detailed itinerary and committing to all my bookings. just the two of us and totally F&E.. [inlove]

The car i have in mind is the ford falcon XR6 (AUD516 for 5 days including premium protection. excess will then be limited to 385). is the figure kinda steep? cos it's supposed to be $40 per day, plus plus plus. if i save AUD25 per day on insurance, the excess is astounding [sweatdrop] . i wanted to get a quote for the mini convertible [sunny] , but too bad i'm too young to book that vehicle [bigcry]

(edited)

One thing. Please check the weather report while planning your GOR trip. It seems to rain there 90% of the time and makes it really hard to take good pics.

i'll take what i can get. cloudy and rainy still can get good (and very bleak/emo/moody) pics. it's up to me to get good shots or screw up. but that should not be the main agenda la.

if it does rain, i'll be more concerned over safety. and walking in the cold rain. which means i need to find suitable warm clothing which is also rain resistant.. hmmm

btw, anyone recommend a good money changer for SGD>> AUD? I normally change my ringgit at Jurong West ard boon lay Place there..

Edited by Boyboy

will PM you. i'm considering this alternative to adelaide> Melbourne. But philip island see how first. may sacrifice Ballarat to spend more time on the rest. the missus loves penguins and i love driving so phlip will be a treat. we actually have 5.5 days so see how it goes. 10 days and 2500km.. maybe i have to skip grampian national park as well. is it a "must go"? [:p]

i'm thinking of only booking one night's stay at a time from the motel before. rather than setting a detailed itinerary and committing to all my bookings. just the two of us and totally F&E.. [inlove]

The car i have in mind is the ford falcon XR6 (AUD516 for 5 days including premium protection. excess will then be limited to 385). is the figure kinda steep? cos it's supposed to be $40 per day, plus plus plus. if i save AUD25 per day on insurance, the excess is astounding [sweatdrop] . i wanted to get a quote for the mini convertible [sunny] , but too bad i'm too young to book that vehicle [bigcry]

Halo Halo....oredi PM u liao.

Adelaide to GOR, is basically inland roads, not much to see. IMHO u should skip that. For philip island, its like driving to KL for shopping and back to spore on the same day. It will be very rush. I think those penguins coming from sea to shore vice visa something like in the early morning or late evening. So u will have to stay 1 nite there. 5.5 days to include GOR + Grampian is extremely tight, but can still be done. If u like trekking and camping, Grampians is THE place. But i warn u, its god damn freezing at nite(even in the middle of summer). The good side is, there is abundance of wildlife there, u will see deers, koalas, kangroos as often as u see the ga-lengs(bird) in spore. haha.

What i suggest is u either do a GOR + Grampian or Philip island + GOR. Its not possble to do all 3 within 5.5 days.

For GOR+Grampains, u can do 1 nite in Apollo bay, 1 nite in port cambell, 2 nites in Grampian, then last nite in melbourne.

For Philip Island + GOR, 2 nites there, 1 nite at apollo bay, 1 nite at port cambell, then 1 nite in mel.

[bounce2]

planning to do GOR, Grampians and Philip Island. got a total of 10 days (9 full days) to play with.

1 nite apollo bay, 2 nites Port Campbell, 2 nites grampians, then either 2 nites philip island, one night melbourne, or the other way around. i think maybe one nite on philip island cos we shd have enuff of wildlife by then

wondering whether the horse riding at grampians or apollo bay is worth trying or not. another thing i'm interested in is Hot Air Balloon ride at the Grampians. Dun mind spending a bit more for the unique experience like some other bro who sit hot air balloon in turkey n posted pix [sunny]

the rest of the trip, mainly sightseeing, some hiking and photography.

i also got garmin GPS maps for australia, but also bought paper maps to serve as a backup. I'm damn kayu with directions at times.

Only advise is NEVER to drive at night becoz of roos,emu or ostrich.....especially the roos, they will jump out from the side bushes

and you won't have time to react.....I have hit it 3 times.. journey fr NSW to Q'sland. If sleepy pls have a rest.......I normally stop at Rest area to doze off for half hrs or so.....and continue [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

planning to do GOR, Grampians and Philip Island. got a total of 10 days (9 full days) to play with.

1 nite apollo bay, 2 nites Port Campbell, 2 nites grampians, then either 2 nites philip island, one night melbourne, or the other way around. i think maybe one nite on philip island cos we shd have enuff of wildlife by then

wondering whether the horse riding at grampians or apollo bay is worth trying or not. another thing i'm interested in is Hot Air Balloon ride at the Grampians. Dun mind spending a bit more for the unique experience like some other bro who sit hot air balloon in turkey n posted pix [sunny]

the rest of the trip, mainly sightseeing, some hiking and photography.

i also got garmin GPS maps for australia, but also bought paper maps to serve as a backup. I'm damn kayu with directions at times.

Spending more than a night in each of the 'outback' can be a tad boring after a while cos really got nothing to do. IMHO, u might as well stay in melbourne... best to be in Mlebourne on Sunday to visit the 'sunday market' by the river... FYI, Adelaide also can be quite boring after a while..

bro.. the 2nd last row.. the pix that look like they are taken from plane/mountain.. were u on a plane, or was tt from the grampians?

i think we are more countryside/outback type than urban folks. enuff city in SG. but if we are really bored then can flexible a bit.

now, i actually think that the timing is quite ok. not tt rush (except for the two long drives bro hiphiphooray pointed out). probably cruise within speed limit and stop whenever we see something nice/interesting [pirate]

Only advise is NEVER to drive at night becoz of roos,emu or ostrich.....especially the roos, they will jump out from the side bushes

and you won't have time to react.....I have hit it 3 times.. journey fr NSW to Q'sland. If sleepy pls have a rest.......I normally stop at Rest area to doze off for half hrs or so.....and continue [thumbsup]

will comply [sweatdrop]

i wonder what these bush meat tastes like, though [sly]. hopefully got places to sample, whichever isn't endangered. ostrich try before liao at local tze char liao, so probably kangaroo steak next [lipsrsealed]

Its taken from the top of a mountain in the grampian. can drive all the way up. I think its call boroka outlook. hehe. U can see the entire region. The small little town u see is Halls Gap. The earlier towns u see are port campbell, apollo bay.

The distance from port campbell to halls gaps is beriiiiiiiii far. I just look at the map again.......it will be hell of a long drive. I went in feb too. The grampian is god damn cold at nite.....camping overnite outside genting highland in the open is abt 10%-20% of grampian coldness nia!!!!! I stood outside the apartment for a smoke at nite for once......i cannot even last 5 mins standing just outside the door, with 3 layers of clothes on. And ppl tell me its summer time. [sweatdrop] But i do see ppl camping outside...... so u can try it....i think.

Edited by Hiphiphoray

some of my great ocean road pics.

aust004.jpg

aust005.jpg

Actually if u have time, I think dropping by Tasmania is great. I think the scenary there is fantastic and the driving distance small.

The great ocean road is pretty easy to navigate in daylight I think. Quite wide and safe.

Edited by Wind30

now aussie fire fire everywhere..still wanna go meh/?

quite bad, but not in the region we are going. at least when i last checked. [sweatdrop]

anyway, i'll take tt little bit of risk since we;ve booked the trip

I lived in Adelaide for 6 years and regularly drove to Melbourne and Sydney. Even the first time I took Great Ocean Road, I regretted. Too long and too windy and too slow. But if you like that sort of thing...

Between states, GPS is not really necessary. Within the city is when you need to use it. Philip Island is great fun. I used to go there just to drift my crap car on the dirt. Supreme fun (school days time the balls size is bigger). After a while, it's all the same type of scenery. The grass not very green and dry dry type, big huge spaces of nothing, road with one lane and nothing on the side...etc. But the first time is really nice.

Enjoy...

↡ Advertisement