Singapore bureaucrat's cooking trip sparks outcry

Chisiang

No, yours and mine is fine. But when your salary comes from the public, the public

has the right to question.

To clarify, everyone's job provides a service either 1 way or another, so if you can afford to drive, to buy a 5rm flat, to go on holiday, it means you are being paid too much? And that your salary should be reduced and this savings should be passed on to the people you provide service to, so that it can be further passed on to the public?

Is what i think you are saying right? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Oh no not to me, to us or to those who is interested.

As for how much I pay for income tax, I don't need to

disclose cause my salary doesn't comes from the public.

Also before you guys reply to my post, pls read carefully

whom I was referring to.

Unless your are not a singaporean. You also pays GST which indirectly goes to the government.

Guys guys, Remember the old feudal system ? If u think it is wiped out then u r wrong. It still exists.

We the peasants of Sg have pleged ourselves to be one united nation.......

You are only a peasant if you think you are 1.

He is just a bloody overpaid axxxxxe.

Aren't there enough talent in Asia, esp from the most populous nation, to replace him at 1/10 the salary? Why is our Civil Service so negligent that they need to pay someone so exorbitant to do a manager's job?

if you are more capable and talented than him, I would think you should there doing his job and not here kpkb.

Guys guys, Remember the old feudal system ? If u think it is wiped out then u r wrong. It still exists.

We the peasants of Sg have pleged ourselves to be one united nation.......

please exclude me from your We.

In time of recession, gahment tells the people to expect the worst, expect lay off, buy house brand, eat three meals at hawker food and not restuarant and then one of our high grade superscale PUBLIC servant spent extravagently and tells it in the media, this doesn't gell well with the gahment message to the public. How do you expect the people to feel?

If your CEO tells the company no pay increase, no bonus, maybe even pay cut, and some of your colleague may have to be lay off. Then he goes on to buy a new ferrari. It his money, his business, but this ain't gonna improve the morale and motivation of his company, especially so when he tells his employee about his latest spending on the company newsletter.

Edited by Ender

please exclude me from your We.

So you are elite is it? By the way you speak, you don't sounds like one.

Haha a peasant pretending to be elite, how embarrassing. Go away!

Supercharged

Oh, so now all policeman, teachers, civil servants must answer to you how their money is spent?

Can tell us how much tax you pay ? We all very interested

As long as, when IRAS or gov't ask about the money he spend, this bureaucrat can justify on how/where he gets this money to spend on this trip, it's ok.

He may kena first 4D? TOTO? horserace? Or he had saved for 20 years? if its legal money, who cares how he spends the money.....

The problem comes when he got this money thru back doors.... then he will be in trouble

Remember that curry puff hawker who kena from IRAS when the newspaper reported his popular curry puffs that he can sell xxx number of curry puffs in a day?

then IRAS checks his annual declared income tax, then they realised that there is a discrepancy.....

So u r happier seeing a foreigner going for a trip to paris rather than local?

of all comments, i think yours take the cake.

No silly. Read my comments again. Or maybe I need to give you comprehension lessons?

I said the PSC could have done better by getting same talent with a lot lesser pay.

In time of recession, gahment tells the people to expect the worst, expect lay off, buy house brand, eat three meals at hawker food and not restuarant and then one of our high grade superscale PUBLIC servant spent extravagently and tells it in the media, this doesn't gell well with the gahment message to the public. How do you expect the people to feel?

If your CEO tells the company no pay increase, no bonus, maybe even pay cut, and some of your colleague may have to be lay off. Then he goes on to buy a new ferrari. It his money, his business, but this ain't gonna improve the morale and motivation of his company, especially so when he tells his employee about his latest spending on the company newsletter.

That is the issue. That is what I am pointing at.

Instead people choose to see how (much) he spent his vacation.

ST (SPH) is the bloody problem here. Maybe this is a deliberate sabo with the likes of NKF. Who knows!

That is the issue. That is what I am pointing at.

Instead people choose to see how (much) he spent his vacation.

ST (SPH) is the bloody problem here. Maybe this is a deliberate sabo with the likes of NKF. Who knows!

Whether media sabo him or not, this bureacrat is doing the opposite of what the gahment is saying, when they asked us to swallow the bitter pill. In light of this, the impression of the general public is bitter pill we swallow, while PUBLIC servant are still able to enjoy their candies.

If he buy Ferrari with his own money, that is his own money. Money he earned. Who knows he saved really hard. But that is the main idea, it is his own money. People kaopeh only confirms they set standards that are too high.

My opinion is that this guy is just being insensitive. Sure he can spend his own money any way he likes. But to boast about it in a national newspaper? If this is not something that's staged to deflect attention from other important issues, then this fellow is just plain insensitive.

As for spending his own money, at times of recession like this, why does he need to throw away $ in France, of all places? Isn't the cash better spent in Singapore to boost the local economy?? At least all those people modding cars are paying local workshops to do it and generating some local profits - even if the parts are from overseas...

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/090113/3/3upw4.html

Tuesday January 13, 3:43 PM

Singapore bureaucrat's cooking trip sparks outcry

SINGAPORE, Jan 13 (Reuters) - A Singaporean bureaucrat who wrote about taking his family on an expensive cooking course in France has sparked ire from locals, with some accusing him of extravagance given the city-state is in recession. Tan Yong Soon, a senior official at Singapore's Environment Ministry, learnt to truss chicken and cut vegetables at Le Cordon Bleu cookery school in Paris with his wife and son, and wrote about it in the Straits Times newspaper earlier this month. "Taking five weeks leave from work is not as difficult as one thinks. Most times when you are at the top, you think you are indispensable. But if you are a good leader who has built up a good team, it is possible," Tan wrote in the newspaper. His article raised eyebrows given the five-week course for three at the prestigious French cooking school cost more than S$46,000 ($30,930). Singapore is one of Asia's wealthiest nations but it was the first country in Asia to fall into recession last year. More job cuts are looming. "Anyone who has any sense of empathy for the average working person struggling to survive would not be splashing his story of luxurious holidays in full spread in a national newspaper," said Andrew Loh on a Singaporean discussion website (http://theonlinecitizen.com). Tan could not be reached for comment and he has not said anything publicly about the response to his article. "How long does each of us take to earn even half that amount that Mr. Tan spent on his lessons? And how many of us can afford to be away for five weeks on paid vacation without getting sacked from our jobs?" said Eugene Yeo, senior writer at the political website, The Wayang Party Club of Singapore. (http://wayangparty.com) Some online forum users said Tan could decide what to do with his money, but still felt he was being boastful. "Agreed that what he does with his money and time is his business but to brag about it really makes me boil," said an online post from someone nicknamed Ricksw8437. ($1=1.487 Singapore Dollar) (Reporting by Melanie Lee; Editing by Neil Chatterjee and Dean Yates)

[shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

Him, wife and son learn cooking at Cordon Bleu - but at home, I guarantee you that the maid is still doing the cooking... :D

Edited by Sosaria

Whether media sabo him or not, this bureacrat is doing the opposite of what the gahment is saying, when they asked us to swallow the bitter pill. In light of this, the impression of the general public is bitter pill we swallow, while PUBLIC servant are still able to enjoy their candies.

maybe that fella had already sallowed his bitter bill by doing what he did....otherwise he would have gone on a more luxury holiday. [:)]

As said earlier, he might have saved up to do this. You may never know but the issue is that this got out in the national paper from a controlled media. The time it was published is ill-timed.

My opinion is that this guy is just being insensitive. Sure he can spend his own money any way he likes. But to boast about it in a national newspaper? If this is not something that's staged to deflect attention from other important issues, then this fellow is just plain insensitive.

As for spending his own money, at times of recession like this, why does he need to throw away $ in France, of all places? Isn't the cash better spent in Singapore to boost the local economy?? At least all those people modding cars are paying local workshops to do it and generating some local profits - even if the parts are from overseas...

It could be the press that is insensitive. Anyway, look at the furor it has generated, sure served the purpose but I doubt Mr Tan is pleased.

It is still his own money. Its Zhang Ziyi but in a local context. No topless photos but this same b1tching is happening. Its Ziyi's own body and it is Mr Tan's own money be it saved or from his single month's paycheck.

And no, I'm buying digicams from Amazon because it is cheaper than HN, Courts or Best-Denki. Not because I like the Americans more.

The main issue I see is the ill-timing of this release. Now I don't think any gahment official is going to make any statements or show how chio his wife is. :D

Tan Yong Soon is a former SAF scholar and retired as a BG. His career path already lay sui sui liao ... take 1 month or even 3 months leave, his diamond rice bowl is still as strong and hard ...

Singapore is all about meritocracy ... top civil servants screwed up big time also drawing million dollar pay without fail.

Neutral Newbie

Wow... if this top servant gets 5 weeks paid leave and spends 5-figure for a cooking course in France, imagine how much he spends on a proper relaxing holiday??? 8 weeks round-the-world tour??? Better still, travel to a space station with his family??? LOL!!!

Anyway, it's his money, but the timing is truly wrong. I would love to read in the news about the jobless successfully finding work! Or receiving financial help during this crisis!

Talent and ability yes! True! BUT sometimes it's not what you know but who you know... ahhhh...

Btw, I heard that some of the children of the elites have decided or deciding to leave SG for greener pastures in Australia and UK.... how true I don't know... some already rooted overseas, this I know for sure...

I wanna enjoy living life, not enjoy slogging through it! SG not really the best place for what I want! heh...

↡ Advertisement