Singapore bureaucrat's cooking trip sparks outcry

Chisiang

ha...another one who is into fine dining like mr tan who will defend earth, heaven n hell to justify 45k....

I have no intention to defend for the insensitive Perm Sec. Having neutral on the issue, I suggest you google Tan Yong Soon, read for yourself his role and function for MOEW. Reading from your posting, you are simply whinning.

$45k is a lot of money to most if us. Fine dinning is just another way to appreciate little things in life. If you think burger & fries is an international cuisine, by all means. However, dun put a price tag on something which you dun understand.

I still don't understand what all this grunt is all about... To those who grunt, you buay song is your own problem... Just because you're financially tight, others has to follow? At most I can say is that the article is insensitive. KNN, I saw the CNA, a lady mentioned, "Spending 45K for a vacation, such money can be put to a better use". So, do I have a say how you can spend your money? So, if you have a rich neighbour who can buy a 7 series BMW, you're gonna scratch the car? Wimps...

Legally not wrong, but does rub the wrong way when the governemnt tells the people we're in recession, spending has to cut, and this extravagant of a public servant happens. It's like telling the world that the people are suffering from economic melt down, but the governement official are not affected. It not a good sign for a country to have a huge divide between the people and gahment servant. Almost like 3rd world country where the people are going hungry and gahment official can still hold parties and tossing food into the waste basket, but the Mr tan went on further to tell the media.

150+ ranked media...we also have 150+ ranked readers/ audience to match.

someone put out the article knowing the kind of backlash it is bound to attract. nobody got his side of the story yet...

for all u know the interview was abt something else and the trip was a small insert.

so many pairs of eyes at 150+ ranked media and yet the article still got to see the light of day. why the spotlight on him only? u think all the other superscale earning scholars earn so much $$ stuff into pillowcase?

this is like jie tau sa ren, borrow your knife to do him in. and the as predicted the masses are now clamoring and baying for his blood.

150+ ranked media...why? partly got 150+ audience that can be turned and twisted like puppets.

Haha, you sound like one of those conspiracy theorists who thinks that Mas Selamat was killed in custody and the government made up the whole show to cover it up, (and made themself look like right idiots in the process), and spent probably millions of dollars in the manhunt and wasted 1000hours of manhours. These conspiracy theorists all did not think it through.

If the gov wants to "jie tau sa ren" like you said, they can easily do him in in many other ways without resorting to this measure, and put the civil sector in bad light. Do you really think they are so dumb as to risk their reputation just to "do in" a civil servant??? If the gov wants, they can eradicate an MP easily, let alone a high level civil servant.

It's time you get off the couch and stop watching too much CSI dude.

I have no intention to defend for the insensitive Perm Sec. Having neutral on the issue, I suggest you google Tan Yong Soon, read for yourself his role and function for MOEW. Reading from your posting, you are simply whinning.

$45k is a lot of money to most if us. Fine dinning is just another way to appreciate little things in life. If you think burger & fries is an international cuisine, by all means. However, dun put a price tag on something which you dun understand.

45k meant alot ot us but not you...so pls go n find elsewhere to appreciate your little fine dining things in your life while i enjoy 2 veg+1meat economic rice in market/coffee shop

role n function for a perm sec has always stated clearly in the govt sector, but whether the person in question able to carry out or not is another concern...as i said again 45k to learn cut vegetables, wash potatoes etc. Perhaps this 45k also teach the students how to sayang and talk to chicken, fish, vegetable before cutting n marinating...LOL...duno how to cut and cook, learn from parents lah...unless someone who is brought up by a maid and not parents thus dun even know how to cook and wash

This is his money and he should be able to spend it anyway he wants.

If you want to take offense, you should be taking offense at the amount he is being paid and not how he is spending it. His peers could be spending their money buying flashy cars and huge houses so why should he be the one targeted for spending money?

We should also not forget that increased consumer spending also boosts the economy (multiplier effect etc) and provides jobs. If everyone saves their money then how will the factories pay their workers?

Haha, you sound like one of those conspiracy theorists who thinks that Mas Selamat was killed in custody and the government made up the whole show to cover it up, (and made themself look like right idiots in the process), and spent probably millions of dollars in the manhunt and wasted 1000hours of manhours. These conspiracy theorists all did not think it through.

If the gov wants to "jie tau sa ren" like you said, they can easily do him in in many other ways without resorting to this measure, and put the civil sector in bad light. Do you really think they are so dumb as to risk their reputation just to "do in" a civil servant??? If the gov wants, they can eradicate an MP easily, let alone a high level civil servant.

It's time you get off the couch and stop watching too much CSI dude.

Agree, paranoid usually ponder.

Neutral Newbie

That he spent $45k learning to prepare and cooking fine dishes is his perogative. He could've just as well bought a Boxter for his son (maybe they already have one besides the Merc S350) and help the economy here (would we be whining then? Would this even see the light of the day in a newspaper article?). Being a top civil servant, he definitely earns enough to be able to afford annual skiing holidays, shopping trip with wife in Paris, but he'd to tell the whole world this year he spent it on a an esoteric holiday bonding with his family, was just simply insensitive and lousy timing. He also asserted that he's the top dog but has a very good team on auto mode so he can take 5 weeks off for rubbing shoulders with 3-star Michelin chefs. On the other hand, he's not measured by top- or bottom-line and his team not subject to layoffs so he can jolly well have his cake and eat it too in peace too. I think this is why the big hoohah; people are envious of him and his station in life [laugh][laugh][laugh][drivingcar]

Edited by Topgun

Neutral Newbie

opps... i just got down graded from a peasant to a lesser mortal .....

Huat ah..actually i dunno now we become "lesser mortals" is promotion or demotion leh.. [speechless][confused]

That he spent $45k learning to prepare and cooking fine dishes is his perogative. He could've just as well bought a Boxter for his son (maybe they already have one besides the Merc S350) and help the economy here (would we be whining then? Would this even see the light of the day in a newspaper article?). Being a top civil servant, he definitely earns enough to be able to afford annual skiing holidays, shopping trip with wife in Paris, but he'd to tell the whole world this year he spent it on a an esoteric holiday bonding with his family, was just simply insensitive and lousy timing. He also asserted that he's the top dog but has a very good team on auto mode so he can take 5 weeks off for rubbing shoulders with 3-star Michelin chefs. On the other hand, he's not measured by top- or bottom-line and his team not subject to layoffs so he can jolly well have his cake and eat it too in peace too. I think this is why the big hoohah; people are envious of him and his station in life [laugh][laugh][laugh][drivingcar]

I agree totally with Topgun. Here we have someone spending his own money on his own business. Its not as if the trip is paid out of public coffer. And don't make it sound that we are all so piss poor that we are starving peasants. If you want to see poor, there are many other places in the world to see what is really poor. Just another bunch of whining wankers.

Huat ah..actually i dunno now we become "lesser mortals" is promotion or demotion leh.. [speechless][confused]

hahaha..... i don't really care cos those people up there has really lost touch with the ground. [shakehead]

I agree totally with Topgun. Here we have someone spending his own money on his own business. Its not as if the trip is paid out of public coffer. And don't make it sound that we are all so piss poor that we are starving peasants. If you want to see poor, there are many other places in the world to see what is really poor. Just another bunch of whining wankers.

You still don't get the point do you? I think the majority of people are more upset about him seemingly gloating about his ability to spend $50k on holiday, and then talking about his leadership ability. Not because he is spending the money.

And at a time when many people are jobless, on the verge of losing jobs, suffering a pay cut or even having problems putting food on the table. Really, is there a need for him to talk about blowing $50k?

I think it's ok if he is works in the private sector. But as a public servant, he is supposed to be a person who works for the people, is in touch with the people. And obviously, by openly talking about the ability to throw $50k away in difficult times it shows how detached he is from the people.

I am ok with him doing whatever he wants with his money. But he just hit on a raw nerve with his open disclosure. Shows how insensitive and detached from the people he really is.

And just to let you know, even the ministers and the head of the public service are jumping on him. You can read more about it in the papers. People are not concerned with him spending $50k, it's more about his public raving about it that grates.

Hope you understand now.

yup... it's all about sensitivity.... no doubt it's his money and he has the right to spend it as and how he wants, but being part of the gahmen, in this case, a perm sec, he has to be careful of how public perceives his actions/behaviour. Like it or not, he is a public figure so it's LL for him.

You still don't get the point do you? I think the majority of people are more upset about him seemingly gloating about his ability to spend $50k on holiday, and then talking about his leadership ability. Not because he is spending the money.

And at a time when many people are jobless, on the verge of losing jobs, suffering a pay cut or even having problems putting food on the table. Really, is there a need for him to talk about blowing $50k?

I think it's ok if he is works in the private sector. But as a public servant, he is supposed to be a person who works for the people, is in touch with the people. And obviously, by openly talking about the ability to throw $50k away in difficult times it shows how detached he is from the people.

I am ok with him doing whatever he wants with his money. But he just hit on a raw nerve with his open disclosure. Shows how insensitive and detached from the people he really is.

And just to let you know, even the ministers and the head of the public service are jumping on him. You can read more about it in the papers. People are not concerned with him spending $50k, it's more about his public raving about it that grates.

Hope you understand now.

Please read the original article...

http://singaporeenquirer.sg/?p=985

Neutral Newbie

Those people who are upset over the article are just overly sensitive. It is not like if that perm sec wrote point-blank "shame on you peasants for being poor and can't afford a 5 week Paris holiday like me during a recession, ha ha ha!!". It reflects on their own insecurity, perhaps because they can't see themselves ever reaching such a high career position, earning a perm sec's level of pay and taking 5 weeks of leave for holiday. Why can't people just read the cooking holiday article and treat it as some sort of passing entertaining news? Reading that article is akin to watching that TV programme Lifestyles of The Rich & Famous and marvel at how rich and ostentatious some people can be, recession or not. I also cannot find in his article him gloating over how much he spent for his trip. It puzzles me how overly sensitive people can deduce self-hurtful thoughts from unwritten things.

Edited by Rjmsfire

yup... it's all about sensitivity.... no doubt it's his money and he has the right to spend it as and how he wants, but being part of the gahmen, in this case, a perm sec, he has to be careful of how public perceives his actions/behaviour. Like it or not, he is a public figure so it's LL for him.

Precisely my point! I don't understand why some people keep insisting on seeing it that people are sore that he is spending 50k. Geez don't they have a brain.

Everyone knows that our ministers are paid millions, but there is a reason why they don't go around in flashy watches, jewelleries, and super cars even though they can easily afford to.

Those people who are upset over the article are just overly sensitive. It is not like if that perm sec wrote point-blank "shame on you peasants for being poor and can't afford a 5 week Paris holiday like me during a recession, ha ha ha!!". It reflects on their own insecurity, perhaps because they can't see themselves ever reaching such a high career position, earning a perm sec's level of pay and taking 5 weeks of leave for holiday. Why can't people just read the cooking holiday article and treat it as some sort of passing entertaining news? Reading that article is akin to watching that TV programme Lifestyles of The Rich & Famous and marvel at how rich and ostentatious some people can be, recession or not.

Well i dunno man, perhaps a lot of people are suffering and going through a bad patch, and to hear a public servant living it up just grates on them. It's very unlike that of watching that show... two very different things I feel.

↡ Advertisement