Amsoil or Redline On FD4

Titank

try try lor...think v bad choice....

now oil change liao...hopefully, will recover back FC if not, got to engine flush liao, i think....

↡ Advertisement

I use RedLine 5W30 for my 20K km and 30K km servicing of my FD2, it cost me $17.50 per qtr. For my 40K km servicing I changed to AMSOIL 100% 5W - 30 which is cheaper @ $15 per qtr. I can't tell the different in performance, but the different here is I paid less for AMSOIL 100%. To me both oils are equally good, and they are much better than the Shell Helix Extra used by KM service centre when I did not go with my own oil during my 10K km servicing.

Ya I also think of getting Amsoil where it is cheaper compare to Redline.In terms of performance can't really tell.

Is it recommended to get in bulk like 1 box to stock up?

Amsoil XL series is $13/bottle

Amsoil 100% synthetic is $15/bottle

Redline $17.50/bottle

But...

Amsoil Dominator Racing oil is $18/bottle,

Amsoil Signature Series oil is also $18/bottle

and I use the later.

Honda has now extended its service interval to every 10K already, so pay more to get a better oil that last your engine in better shape seems more worthwhile now.

Regards,

I chose to use Redline is because this oil also contain Ester base, much similar to MOTUL 300V.

"Red Line lubricants are unique because they contain PE Polyol Ester base stocks, the only lubricants which can withstand the tremendous heat of modern

jet engines."

Edited by Powerhouse

Turbocharged

friend, i dunno how 'longlife' is your oil, at least to me

i changed it out after about 4k when engine note got rougher by the day.

put in amsoil and immediately the car felt 'lighter' and smoother.

i usually change out my oils every 5k.

this amsoil is supposed to last 25k km. well, let's not stretch so far.. just 10k km will do.

so comparing the prices:

5 liter cl = $40

5 quart amsoil = $75.

1x labor for servicing = $20

for every 10k km,

if i were to use cl, (as it can't seem to last beyond 5k for my car), so my total cost will be $40+20 = $60x2 = $120

as for amsoil, my total cost will be $75+20 = $90.

cl seems cheap, but its not at all so in fact.. and imo, its not as good as others..

Edited by Solar

But...

Amsoil Dominator Racing oil is $18/bottle,

Amsoil Signature Series oil is also $18/bottle

and I use the later.

Honda has now extended its service interval to every 10K already, so pay more to get a better oil that last your engine in better shape seems more worthwhile now.

Regards,

Me on the 2nd round of SSO, that time was deciding whether to stick to SSO or try Dominator. Had the same thought as you have mentioned. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] Guess both are just as good.

Me on the 2nd round of SSO, that time was deciding whether to stick to SSO or try Dominator. Had the same thought as you have mentioned. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] Guess both are just as good.

Redline is just as good but comparing them in term of fuel economy, SSO somehow gives me better mileage consistently. Again, this might be butt feel and there is no scientific explanation for this. Currently, I'm sticking to these 2 brands. Having said that I'm quite interested to use the gold cap Mobil One, have you tried it before?

Regards,

What about Royal Purple?

Cheaper and also good, somehow engine tone/note sounded rougher. Used only once and stopped since then. Just personal opinion and butt feel. An ex-colleague is a fan of RP. Having said that I only use 30 wt oil.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

Royal Purple seem like a semi synthetic oil.When hit 7,000 already like kopi-o.

Seem now there is having promotion on Redline & Amsoil (100% Synthetic). Perhaps buy 1 box to stock up as my 20K servicing is almost due.

i second that..

i've used the CL 5w40.. it seems like my impreza 1.6i becomes noisy after a certain period of use.. and it's probably bout 5k km..

though it's cheap to run.. but i prefer a quieter ride since my tires are pretty noisy liao..

Let me do a tiny review:

5w30

Mobil 1: not bad, average performer with pretty good FC..

Xrev : not bad, but a tad noisy.almost like CL but last slightly longer than CL, for a w30, FC was nothing to shout about.. if i were to pay the market price for this oil. i won't use it..

5w40

OWS: Good quiet performer that can last easily till 10kkm

Redline: Currently using, first 200km only.. but can feel it's lighter and more willing to rev..

Hope to use AMSOIL dominator or ELF after i clear my next batch of redline..

hope this help anyone interested to know more of the other oil

Neutral Newbie

I'm using Amsoil 5-30W for my Camry so far engine sound better compare with mineral oil.

any one feel the different on FC?