China: Beijing Holiday

Lufu

OMG!  That's the reason why I gave up the idea of going Beijing this year end after so much planning of itinerary and etc.  I read that the Beijing PSI  is very unhealthy and hazourous level.

When AQI < 50, nobody reports.

When AQI > 200, everybody reports.

The best time to come Beijing is March & April.

• Praise 1

Because of pollution and environmental changes, many of the 燕京八景 eight classic sceneries recorded in poetry cannot be appreciated anymore. From the 90's desert storms due to deforestation in the North to the industrial air pollution today. Suicidal modernization partly contributed by globalization.

Before 2008 (i think), there is no SMOG in Beijing.  Only desert storm.

After that, trees were planted as wind wall. 

Now, smog from Hebei is trapped in the city when northern wind stop blowing.

It is terrible during winter as coal is mainly source of power generator.

Before 2008 (i think), there is no SMOG in Beijing. Only desert storm.

After that, trees were planted as wind wall.

Now, smog from Hebei is trapped in the city when northern wind stop blowing.

It is terrible during winter as coal is mainly source of power generator.

Agree, winter time can be suffocating at times, CNY period is also very bad especially eve and Chu Yi

always avoid beijing at all times!!!

there are many other places to visit in china

but still must avoid festive seasons

else everywhere you go is people mountain people sea

Edited by Wt_know

Agree, winter time can be suffocating at times, CNY period is also very bad especially eve and Chu Yi

Despite the warning send, i went riding this morning at Yanxi Zhen.

Yesterday, AQI at 4pm reaches 244.

This morning, it drops to 17x with blue sky.

On our way back into the city, AQI increase back to 2xx at 1pm. Now i think more than 300.

post-16870-0-50378200-1481963645_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 2

Just how bad is the pollution? Do you wear mask?

post-16870-0-28008100-1483347332_thumb.png

Once above 200, better stay indoor.

After switching on for 6 days, net behind air purifier is dusty.

Did a short trip to Beijing with my wife a short while back.  Have started putting together some videos and some blog posts too.  Check it out if you're interested.  One of the highlights was certainly Mutianyu Great Wall.  We were blessed with good weather when we were there.  

Day 1 - http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2017/03/beijing-trip-sq-flight-to-beijing-and.html

This covers the flight to Beijing, and the first glimpse of the hotel - Renaissance Beijing Capital. 

Day 2- http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2017/03/beijing-trip-day-2-mutianyu-great-wall.html

Our first full day - visited Mutianyu Great Wall, and Ming Tombs. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Did a short trip to Beijing with my wife a short while back. Have started putting together some videos and some blog posts too. Check it out if you're interested. One of the highlights was certainly Mutianyu Great Wall. We were blessed with good weather when we were there.

Day 1 - http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2017/03/beijing-trip-sq-flight-to-beijing-and.html

This covers the flight to Beijing, and the first glimpse of the hotel - Renaissance Beijing Capital.

Day 2- http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2017/03/beijing-trip-day-2-mutianyu-great-wall.html

Our first full day - visited Mutianyu Great Wall, and Ming Tombs.

Give more updates. Still cold?

Ming tomb is on north west

Mutianyu is on north east

2 hrs drive btw these places le

If you read my blog post (Day 2), I put a screenshot of the route we took to get from Mutianyu to Ming Tomb.  The absolute distance was about 42km.  We took about an hour.  Traffic was light.  I supposed if there were jams, it would take longer.

Give more updates. Still cold?

Working on Day 3 and Day 4 of my trip.  Stayed tuned.

It wasn't that cold during the day.  On our day to Great Wall, the weather was gorgeous.  Around 15 deg.  If you watch the videos, you can get a good sense of how warm it was.  I was sweating after all the walking.  Took out my jacket.  Wearing only one layer.  

i walked great wall ... less than 20mins gave up liao [sweatdrop]

Which part of the Great Wall did you visit?  Seriously, the Mutianyu Great Wall is do-able.  What we did, from Tower 14 walk down to Tower 6 can be done by most people, as long as you can go up and down stairs.  It was in a general downhill direction.

In case readers haven't realised, my blog posts contains many more videos.  Didn't repost them here.  Still working on other videos.

This is an interesting one.  I called it 2017 modern Beijing - Girl is the Boss. 

Twincharged

i walked great wall ... less than 20mins gave up liao [sweatdrop]

i went on a tour group .... in Dec a few years ago ... it was snowing ... we only hung around the entrance and the first flight of steps ... not safe to climb the steep step during snowy weather.

I kept thinking to myself ... i was wearing safety boots and yet i could not walk the steps safely .... how did the ppl build it last time ?

I went there in late February with wife and son. Everybody was warning me about the pollution, traffic and the Chinese people in general. The weather too. Turned out we had 5 full days with clear skies. Well, ok 3rd day was overcast because it snowed...! But the rest of the days were sunny. We spent more than 3 hours walking the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall in fine weather. It was largely empty, being winter. All other trips around the city we took the subway, including day 1 trip to the Summer Palace where we got off at 1 station and returned via another. We found Beijing very clean and modern, the people generally civil. Toilets were all clean, food quality and choices pretty good. One of our best trips!

Oh, and we're Indian and don't speak a word of any Chinese language or dialect...

• Praise 4

I went there in late February with wife and son. Everybody was warning me about the pollution, traffic and the Chinese people in general. The weather too. Turned out we had 5 full days with clear skies. Well, ok 3rd day was overcast because it snowed...! But the rest of the days were sunny. We spent more than 3 hours walking the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall in fine weather. It was largely empty, being winter. All other trips around the city we took the subway, including day 1 trip to the Summer Palace where we got off at 1 station and returned via another. We found Beijing very clean and modern, the people generally civil. Toilets were all clean, food quality and choices pretty good. One of our best trips!

Oh, and we're Indian and don't speak a word of any Chinese language or dialect...

Cool! Glad you enjoyed the visit. Yes, we took the subway too, and it was easy to get around and cheap too.

Curious - how did you get to Mutianyu?

think the most common great wall section for tourist is badaling. its indeed a magnificent structure. in the right season you also see flowers in bloom in 4-5 colours.

the most touristy also meant there were many interests alr built in like bear park, downhill slides etc

BJ is always my fav china city. 

↡ Advertisement