China: Beijing Holiday

Lufu

Looks not bad. 

Is the 全聚德北京鸭 still as famous and good?

And I'm wondering whether i should bring the kids to Beijing in the future. 

I had only been there once, >20 yr ago, not long after i started working. Wife had been there a few times too, but kids have never been there before.

My father in particular kept telling the kids that he'll bring them to the great wall one day...

oh, we brought the kids to watch the movie Great Wall too. 

My kids went to Beijing before I did.  They loved the Great Wall and the Toboggan.   

Very historical.  The major sites like Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven and more, are all UNESCO World Heritage sites. 

↡ Advertisement

Sheer bad luck loh.

Without wind, It will be luck what you described because of coal power plant in Hebei. I had escaped the super duper high AQI like 500 the entire winter.

It was really bad luck.

Beijing was snowing a few days before we arrived. So the great wall and mountain are still cover with snow which is very beautiful. Too back the hazy day spoil everything.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

I went Beijing after my PSLE.

Probably Tian gong was my favourite. 

Are there good F&E tours there nowadays?

Will want to bring my kids when they are older.

Edited by Lala81

You went Beijing pai tee kong (tian gong) ?

haha sorry. Tian Tan.

Panchan a bit lah, i last went there in 1993  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

Looks not bad.

Is the 全聚德北京鸭 still as famous and good?

And I'm wondering whether i should bring the kids to Beijing in the future.

I had only been there once, >20 yr ago, not long after i started working. Wife had been there a few times too, but kids have never been there before.

My father in particular kept telling the kids that he'll bring them to the great wall one day...

oh, we brought the kids to watch the movie Great Wall too.

Too touristy, can skip

If u want a nice ambience with a nice duck, da dong is good

• Praise 9

Supercharged

UlaanBaater is the world's most air polluted city. Mongolia take over liao.

Many of the northern china cities are champions [laugh]

Not easy lah. China so big. Regulate also will take many decades. And also heavy industries is the mainstay of the economy of northern china. And they are already struggling in the new world economy.

Still many poor areas in hebei amd shanxi area... not every house have a heater. In winter is damn cold. They burn coal to keep warm.

Plus tress r leafless so theres gonna be more carbon monoxide.

All the damn steel mills. Plants. Coal mines all in hebei and these north china areas. Thus winter time the most polluted

Supercharged

Plus u see many of these factories have poor control over pollutants... u think all fancy factories like micron. Seagate ah.... all old fashioned steel makers. Hot dipping etc.... working conditions alone can kill liao..

haha sorry. Tian Tan.

Panchan a bit lah, i last went there in 1993  [laugh]

Haha, I also went there in 1993, with my family! Ya visited Tian Tan too.

• Praise 1

No need sorry lah.

In the early 80's, when China just opened up .. I remember got one article in our Zaobao newspaper reported got one of the first few Singaporean tourists go to Beijing Summer Palace (頤和園) and made a big fuss there complaining that they copycat, stole our idea from Singapore Chinese Garden.  [laugh] [laugh]

talking of 頤和園, did you know how did it come about?

i was amazed to learn of it from an ex-colleague who was from China.

• Praise 1

It was badly damaged by British and French bandits. You mean the part about rebuilding it with 北洋軍餉 Or how it was originally built?

Another palace which would have been the world's greatest art museum if still intact is the Old Summer Palace (圓明園). Today you can visit the remnants of the destruction by French and British bandits in Beijing. It is near Beijing University. To see the looted art collection today one has to visit a few different places like National Gallery in London, Metropolitan Museum of NY, etc.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30810596

This 1860 event when the "civilized Europeans" looted, burnt, raped Beijing " the barbarians" reminds me of how Jinyong's righteous sects (正派) murdered the evil sects (魔教). It taught me there's no absolute right or evil, see one's action not one's words and make your own judgement. But power decides how the result will be.

I meant how it was originally built.

That ex-colleague of mine said that it was a flat land originally, and then the emperor ordered the palace built, and the people went to dig/excavate the ground, and then piled the debris up by the side, resulting in the huge lake, and the hill being formed besides it...

Not sure how true...

Any idea?

So far nobody picked up on my post mentioning 北海公园。

When i went there i think in 94/95, i saw at the ticket booth, a big sign board that says:

Admission Fees 40 Yuan

入门票五角

<some jap words>

I was with my cousin and both of us were really amazed. I just went to the booth, took out a RMB1 bill, and said 两张。

Not sure whether it's still the same...

• Praise 2

So far nobody picked up on my post mentioning 北海公园。

When i went there i think in 94/95, i saw at the ticket booth, a big sign board that says:

I was with my cousin and both of us were really amazed. I just went to the booth, took out a RMB1 bill, and said 两张。

Not sure whether it's still the same...

That's differentiating btw Chinese & non-Chinese reader lor.

At least nvr says Lao Wai mah

• Praise 1

Locals always pay less, if you are a local resident it should be free. Servicemen also pay nothing in most places, including taking train. Actually, it is not unique to China. In the U.S. you see similar treatment of locals and servicemen. We are just very special.

yup, i know. But still buay song leh... Not helped as was kotok by one hotel staff too... 

For the Great Hall of the People, there were 3 categories/rates:

- highest for 外宾 foreigners

- lesser for 华侨 overseas Chinese

- i think FOC for 内宾 locals 

That's differentiating btw Chinese & non-Chinese reader lor.

At least nvr says Lao Wai mah

I really wonder if got any non-chinese looking people going up to do/say the same (give RMB1 and say 两张), what will they do...  [laugh]

In many places they outright said 外宾 with a higher rate.

When i went to China, wherever possible I (and whoever I went with) would try to pay the local fares/rates. The only places where we didn't dare were Great Hall of the People, cos that one needed to see IDs, and 长江三峡, as we were worried if got caught, they will throw us into the river  [smash]

• Praise 1

Aren't our museums free for citizens? I never went so...

Anyway same in India, Taj Mahal different fee for local vs foreigners. But locals take a slightly longer route to enter. When we went to the checkpoint we were stopped, until we showed our higher priced foreigner tickets...

Too touristy, can skip

If u want a nice ambience with a nice duck, da dong is good

Yes Da Dong, nice ambience and food. NPNT.

post-81158-0-97000700-1490278401_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-72389700-1490278413_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-33035400-1490278423_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-90773600-1490278459_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-85506200-1490278477_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-71745000-1490278494_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-56992700-1490278509_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-44536600-1490278522_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-88145500-1490278539_thumb.jpg

post-81158-0-50066000-1490278556_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 23