Singaporean Gals will only marry if you make $4k - $5k

Sparespares

Saw this from another forum. Is it true? Is this the norm now? Whatever happen to going thru thick and thin in our generation?

No money? No marry

http://www.divaasia.com/article/2112

Local men, listen up. According to a survey conducted by the Shin Min Daily News, women in Singapore require that their prospective partners earn a minimum of $4,000 to $5,000, before they will consider marrying them.

Local TV artiste and compere Quan Yifeng discussed this issue on a talkshow programme recently. The topic was about "How much should a Singaporean man earn" and how much is enough?

The three female guests invited to speak on the talkshow agreed that a good amount would be between $4,000 to $5,000. A shocked Quan Yifeng quipped: "No wonder Singaporean men can't get wives."

A local netizen posted this topic in an online forum in May. Till today, the topic has raged on, with many forummers posting their comments and opinions. The thread has accumulated more than 200 responses so far.

Regarding the minimum that a man should earn, a reporter from the Chinese daily posed this question to 20 men and women. Most of them said that having a salary that is good enough to sustain your lifestyle would be sufficient. However, most agreed that $4,000 to $5,000 is a "reasonable amount" if one is thinking of setting up a family.

Without that minimum amount, they reason, it would be difficult for a man to support his wife, let alone think about having children and allowing them to grow up in a comfortable environment.

The men say: "I would say the same too"

>> Mr Su Jun Long, 27, an accountant, earns $2,400 per month. He says: "I am not worried about not finding a wife, especially not a materialistic one. Actually, it is not important how much I earn, but more of how much I spend. However, when I am thirty-plus, I would also hope I am able to earn a minimum of $3,000 and above."

>> Mr Zhang Yi Zheng, 26, an auditor, earns $2,100 per month. He says: "$4,000 to $5,000 is a reasonable amount to expect. But at my age, it is normal to earn only $2000 plus. My girlfriend earns about the same amount as I do."

>> Mr Huang, 30, an IT personnel who earns $2,500 per month, says: "Contentment is key. Money is a factor, but it should not be the main consideration. Having a low income would be a problem too, so a salary of $4,000 to $5,000 is not too much to ask."

The women say: "It is just enough to support a family"

>> Ms Shen Yu Tai, 27, a bank officer, says: "Actually, $2,000 is enough. But it is understandable that women would require their husbands to earn $4,000 to $5,000. After all, we all want to be able to live a comfortable life. That amount is required to start a family as well."

>> Ms Pan, 27, a writer, says: "It is not important how much he earns, but he must be good at saving. The salary ranges for industries differ, so there shouldn't be a specific requirement, as long as he earns above $2,500.

>> Ms Tan, 30, a customer service officer, says: "Realistically, an income of $4,000 to $5,000 should be expected. Generally, as long as you have a degree, and have worked for a few years, you should be able to draw that amount."

↡ Advertisement

Makes me wonder whether these women marry a person whom they truly love or a money printing machine.....

Well, is there real love in the first place?

don't understand these women.... do they earn 4-5k themselves? Otherwise, who are they to demand for this?

a good wife is one who sticks by you thru thin and thick..... sigh...

i am not surprised.......everything in singapore is quite expensive now.....with high cost of living comes high expectation of income.....

look at the united states.....engineer paid around 7-8k usd but yet the level of work they performed may not be more complex than a singapore engineer drawing sgd 3.5k.....and thus the greed we are observing in the merill lynch, lehman brothers and other players in the financial industry saga....

but having said that, women are emotional creatures....even if they say minimal must earn 4k sgd before they will marry you, if you are able to get into their hearts, even if they have to dole out money to support husband some may still do so..

Neutral Newbie

Local women, listen up!

If you are not pretty and do not have a C size figure, do not expect local men with 4K-5K salary to even look at you!

Whois with me in this.

die la.. first my goverment ask me to go batam or johore to retire.. then now must earn 5k got wife.. i think i can only get mail order brides liao..

die la.. first my goverment ask me to go batam or johore to retire.. then now must earn 5k got wife.. i think i can only get mail order brides liao..

can include the employer CFP portion? if yes, i think i can hit 4k [rolleyes]

While I understand the standard of living is pretty high now, but shouldn't marriage be about 2 person in love going through thick and thin together?

So, even if the guy is not making >$4K, we'll stay in a 3 room HDB, eat at hawker center (or cook), take public transport, scrimp and save to raise a family.

No longer true?

先上船,后补票.

keke

what 4 k, knn, pretty i dont mind earning 4 k more or 10 k to marry her.

sometime woman talk really that big, no pretty, u think u dare to ask for 4 to 5k meh, kao

disclaimer: not targeting woman, just a normal chit chatting.

not really..wife not sure..

my gf always ask me take bus as far as from north to changi or tampines...dun waste $ take cab, eat also v chim cai one...

recently wan pass her saving..support me to do things i intend to start..just say earn $ give her the share can liao.. [smallcry] of coz rejected by me..

↡ Advertisement