Do you belive MT has faster sprint than AT?

Quantum

same brand/model car  

95 members have voted

1. 1. talk about same brand/model car

• Of course
    • No really
    • Depends on Skill

As the AT technology becomes maturer and maturer, make's paper declares AT 0~100km sprint very close MT, [thumbsup]

drivers' skill plays a important role if MT wins over AT [lipsrsealed]

is MT going to extinct? [confused]

↡ Advertisement

MT has one dinstinct advantage - i.e. it's weight is significantly lighter. That is why a 1.8MT Civic can clock 9.2 sec for 0 - 100km, while it's AT counterpart is almost a whole second slower... something like 10.2 sec IIRC. It's the same engine, just the tramisssion is lighter and that makes a significant difference, at least on paper.

That said, it's also dependant on the driver. Mostly I try to drive smoothly and be as economical as possible, so I have been smoked by Hyundai Matrix, Subaru TS sadans, Kia Rios, and I don't even bother to count Vios and numerous MPVs that has smoked me over the past few months.

But if compare DSG vs MT , MT lose alot of time during shifting.

I'm not so sure unless you got same car to compare, one is DSG and the other is MT. If you compare a Golf GTI against a MT car of another made, it's not exactly comparing apple to apple right?

But if compare DSG vs MT , MT lose alot of time during shifting.

on paper, is stated that DSG is faster than the shifting of MT. so so dun really need to compare the same car.

but if wanna compare, we can compare EVO X.

MT has one dinstinct advantage - i.e. it's weight is significantly lighter. That is why a 1.8MT Civic can clock 9.2 sec for 0 - 100km, while it's AT counterpart is almost a whole second slower... something like 10.2 sec IIRC. It's the same engine, just the tramisssion is lighter and that makes a significant difference, at least on paper.

tats true if you're comparing MT to conventional torque converter autoboxes, same car of cos.

the newer clutchless manual have faster gearshifts. taking for eg DSG, doesn't really matter which car you compare no human hand can shift that fast! & they don't add to the weight unlike normal auto gearboxes.

but i guess yr topic is sprint rather than shifts. from what i heard, MT will have that initial edge, but loses out soon after. anyway, manufacturer specs always state DSG same sprint time with their MT cars for 0-100

Edited by Felipe

tats true if you're comparing MT to conventional torque converter autoboxes, same car of cos.

the newer clutchless manual have faster gearshifts. taking for eg DSG, doesn't really matter which car you compare no human hand can shift that fast! & they don't add to the weight unlike normal auto gearboxes.

but i guess yr topic is sprint rather than shifts. from what i heard, MT will have that initial edge, but loses out soon after. anyway, manufacturer specs always state DSG same sprint time with their MT cars for 0-100

Aren't DSG twin-clutch autos? And there's a weight penalty involved isn't it?

EVO X SST

better FC

1 more gear

faster shift time

faster 0-100

higher top speed

end of the day still 'auto', no half clutch to worry, no stalling.

the choice is clear

Doubt that, DSG has launch control.

Aren't DSG twin-clutch autos? And there's a weight penalty involved isn't it?

There will be less power lost in DSG, which is essentially manual gearbox....and I believe should still be lighter than the conventional auto trans.

Edited by Silver_blade

That said, it's also dependant on the driver. Mostly I try to drive smoothly and be as economical as possible, so I have been smoked by Hyundai Matrix, Subaru TS sadans, Kia Rios, and I don't even bother to count Vios and numerous MPVs that has smoked me over the past few months.

i believe the gear ratios and time taken to shift each gears play a vital part in this case rather than the weight of the gearbox.

Same car same engine... it's about the torque converter and the weight of the auto gearbox... MTA/DSG/Selespeed are manual gearbox with electronic transmission.. thus the word auto very vague.. what is refered to auto?

Shift stick vs clutchless is more accurate comparison..

Driven manual for the last 20 yrs... simply because cannot afford the auto gear car.... especially those CVT....really cannot afford to lose the fun!!! unless it's DSG gearbox.

Edited by Quirky_ster