SAAB Files for Bankruptcy

Vblaster_w211

Actually, Saab and to a lesser extend, Volvo...haven't been profitable for some time. Unlike Volvo, which is perceived as a co. that make very safe and ergonomic cars. Saab, on the other hand, is often perceived as a car driven by old, boring uni professors (in european context). GM has neglected it for too long, failing to position the brand well in the market.

Actually, the problem with the big 2, possibly 3...may end up like British Leyland if they don't manage the problem well.

...neither GM nor the Swedish government appears ready to provide enough money to keep it going as a freestanding entity.

Maybe China or India considering?

Edited by Mits_jc

Neutral Newbie

Saab must be protected at all costs..

If Nissan's Ghosn theory on a domino "one collapse, all will follow" this will or maybe will spell the end of the automobile industry, at least for 10-20 years until the recession ends.It will even spell maybe other industry downfall..

Haix..

Saab's market share is not big enough to start the domino effect on the car industry on a whole. Actually, many have warned GM years ago to scrape their big, lousy, badly built American cars...and instead pull their recourses and focus on building 'world' car, based on their European cars.

The more I look at this problem with the Big Three, the more it resemble the problem with the former British Leyland...worker's unions were too greedy, and continue to suck their company dry.

Edited by Silver_blade

there is only one BIG problem in this car industry!!!

if u cant digest, dun eat so much!!!

GM has over the years, "eat" so many smaller brands, to make itself the biggest manufacturer in the world, scare to lose, now see wat happened??? indigestion, parent company facing bankruptcy too. serve it right!!!

[drivingcar]

Saab's market share is not big enough to start the domino effect on the car industry on a whole. Actually, many have warned GM years ago to scrape their big, lousy, badly built American cars...and instead pull their recourses and focus on building 'world' car, based on their European cars.

The more I look at this problem with the Big Three, the more it resemble the problem with the former British Leyland...worker's unions were too greedy, and continue to suck their company dry.

we definitely can relate to the greediness and sucking us dry [furious]

we definitely can relate to the greediness and sucking us dry [furious]

Increasingly, I feel it may not be such a bad thing for GM and Ford to file for Chapter 11. At least by doing so, they can get rid of their lousy products and reposition the profitable/good makes...and start all over again.

Even Toyota is in trouble, Saab will not survive on a standalone basis without government support. Saab is technically "bankrupt" without GM support. If you cannot make monies in 2007 and 2008, you are not likely to make monies in the near future. I understand Volvo was profitable in some years but Saab has been in the red for years.

Neutral Newbie

Saab having some event like turbofest? www.turbofest.com.sg

They giving away free chip-up and extended test drive in their top models.

hmmmmmmm... and i only just got my car...

↡ Advertisement