How do you know if your car is hit by lightning ?

Vextan

How do you know, if your car is struck by lightning during a heavy downpour ? will car just stall or will you fell anything, like being electrocuted ? Is it dangerous ?

By the time got struke by lightning oredi become chao tar liao,u wont know,others will know

↡ Advertisement

Don't you forget that during field training, if there is Cat 1 weather with lighting. everyone will hide in the 3 tonner to sleep. So it should be safe in a vehicle..

IF the lightning so very zhun hit the glass it may shatter. That's a major if. (saw it when I was kid. Just metres away.. was indoors)

It should be conducted away to the rest of the car body because it's just the roof panel that's glass.

Neutral Newbie

If I'm not wrong, there was a published case of lightning striking a car in a Woodlands open carpark about a year ago.

Needless to say, the effect and aftermath is quite bad; the car's windscreen was shattered, but the driver although near the car was unscathed when the bolt reached for his car's antena. I would believe the car's battery and electricals will have been totally fried. However, I think it is even more fortunate that the tremendous amount of electricity didn't route itself through anything that has petrol or is in contact with petrol in the car. It might have been very 'Hollywood-ish' if it did ... [shocked]

But in anycase, travelling in a downpour with heavy thunder and lightning shouldn't pose a big risk of being struck, but I would rather pay attention to other road users who are panicky, and trees along the sides of the expressway or roads that might get felled by lightnings.

In general, I theorize that a car has little or no preference by lightnings because it is resting on rubbers (the tyres) hence no complete or ready circuit for it to route itself into earth. For lightning to strike, it requires both negative and positive to equate in a moment of flux in the ions in the air and grounding conditions. However, a car can become an object the lightning or its after-charge to arch from your car to something nearby, that is grounded. Ultimately we're all quite safe because of all the tall lamp posts along expressways and minor roads, they take most of the shocks as they are designed to be lightning conductors as well. What we should really be mindful of are falling trees, weaken old tree branches, and panicky drivers.

Edited by Cjgoh

Turbocharged

Maybe that metal pole he was holding saved him. The lightning could have been conducted through the metal pole and into the ground.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/foreign-worker-survives-after-being-struck-lightning-cho

SINGAPORE - A Bangladeshi construction worker survived being struck by lightning during a storm on Tuesday. Mr Mohd Nasu, 34, was hit outside Limbang Shopping Centre in Choa Chu Kang at around 4.30pm, The New Paper reported.

He was holding a metal pole and could still walk, but his right arm looked burnt. A staff member at the clinic told The New Paper that the injury looked severe and that Mr Nasu was in pain.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Maybe that metal pole he was holding saved him. The lightning could have been conducted through the metal pole and into the ground.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/foreign-worker-survives-after-being-struck-lightning-cho

SINGAPORE - A Bangladeshi construction worker survived being struck by lightning during a storm on Tuesday. Mr Mohd Nasu, 34, was hit outside Limbang Shopping Centre in Choa Chu Kang at around 4.30pm, The New Paper reported.

He was holding a metal pole and could still walk, but his right arm looked burnt. A staff member at the clinic told The New Paper that the injury looked severe and that Mr Nasu was in pain.

It's more likely that the metal pole is the thing that caused him to get hit by the lightning.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

It's more likely that the metal pole is the thing that caused him to get hit by the lightning.

correct.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

That's what I thought too.

Sg is one of the densest place to have lighting count in the world ... esp the west side

i remember reading from somewhere its in the north side yishun where lighting is most frequent.

unless you talk about other kind of lighting that strikes the whole singapore.... [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

i remember reading from somewhere its in the north side yishun where lighting is most frequent.

unless you talk about other kind of lighting that strikes the whole singapore.... [lipsrsealed]

waaa whole SG ....... I only know of 1 that powerful ...... and it got a name and controlled by 1 person.

hahahah

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

He is lucky to be alive :))

Always stay indoors when storm comes...

And if no choice, carry an umbrella and walk near to tall buildings... Refrain from walking on open grounds ....

• Praise 1

Scientifically speaking, you don't get hit by lightening. What happens is that you or your car between the closing conduit between the positive charges in the earth and negative charges in the air. The reason why it is fatal to a person is because the current that flows through 10K ampere (equivalent to 20,000 incandescent light blubs shining at the same time).

If you are in the car, it depends on whether you become part of the closing circuit. But which ever way, the electronics in your car will get fried.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Sway, hope he can recover and back to normal.

↡ Advertisement