Headlamp flickering = Battery fail soon?

Kelpie

Hi all,

Lately, the headlamp starts to flicker when air-con kick-in and at stationery. Car is slightly over a year so is it a tell tale sign of battery failure?

Car battery warranty is usually a year and it is about time to change. Which brand do you guys usually go for?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

workshop can test for u. but go trusted one otherwise they sure ask u to change it.

mine 2.5 yrs still going strong. installed a nanopulser a few mths back but i can't say for sure it's helping to make the battery live longer

Turbocharged

i think there's no std guideline.... many latio drivers experience their battery flat at around 13mths but mine still working find at 27mths.. [:p]

Hypersonic

Just put a jumpstart kit in your car so you won't be left stranded. It also works as a 12V power supply.

Turbocharged

My lights did not flicker and one fine morning when I need to rush for work, the battery just died and refused to be revived. RIP, little stock battery, aged 18 months.

For me, the warning sign (but I didn't really took notice) was longer cranking time rather than flickering headlights.

Turbocharged

That's long. Mine lasted 18 months only. My new batt is coming to 1 year old this month. May need to buy another soon. Fingers crossed. [lipsrsealed]

The cause is voltage drop, it means there is possibility the head light harness connectors or relay may be suffering from contact problems due to presnet of moisture , corrosion or just loose contacts. Also check battery terminals connections - clean contact and tighten.

The cause is voltage drop, it means there is possibility the head light harness connectors or relay may be suffering from contact problems due to presnet of moisture , corrosion or just loose contacts. Also check battery terminals connections - clean contact and tighten.

Erm...the car is barely one year old leh...Could voltage drop due to insufficient power supply from the battery? Thinking of changing battery.

Regards,

My lights did not flicker and one fine morning when I need to rush for work, the battery just died and refused to be revived. RIP, little stock battery, aged 18 months.

For me, the warning sign (but I didn't really took notice) was longer cranking time rather than flickering headlights.

No cranking issue with the car leh.

Regards,

Just put a jumpstart kit in your car so you won't be left stranded. It also works as a 12V power supply.

Good but how heavy is a jumpstart kit? Don't like to introduce parasite weight to the car leh.

Regards,

workshop can test for u. but go trusted one otherwise they sure ask u to change it.

mine 2.5 yrs still going strong. installed a nanopulser a few mths back but i can't say for sure it's helping to make the battery live longer

Usually they have an indicator telling us whether the battery is working fine or not right? What is a nanopulser, please share with us here. Thanks.

Regards,

Usually they have an indicator telling us whether the battery is working fine or not right? What is a nanopulser, please share with us here. Thanks.

Regards,

tt's why i say go back to your regular mech. they can test for u.

u go to any other mech, if they are not honest, how will u know the result of the 'test'?

nanopulser is a battery desulphator. basically it prevents sulfation which is what kills the battery with time. it has been discussed on MCF some time back

Hypersonic

Good but how heavy is a jumpstart kit? Don't like to introduce parasite weight to the car leh.

Regards,

Less than 5kg only. Won't take up much space and weight.

It will save you a lot of hassle when your battery is flat.

Yes for the systematic diagnosis, the first check is the "heart" of the car then gradually proceed to harness and contact etc

what car are you driving?

my honda headlights (+ whatever light e.g hazard light switch light) dims whenever the aircon kick in when not moving since day 1, was told it was normal.

didn't know so crappy. previously my cheapo nissan also no such thing.

EDIT

U on a honda civic? then I think it's normal but you didn't notice?

Neutral Newbie

Less than 5kg only. Won't take up much space and weight.

It will save you a lot of hassle when your battery is flat.

erh, bro, can adv where to get this jumpstart thingy? if not conven, can pm?TQ

Hypersonic

erh, bro, can adv where to get this jumpstart thingy? if not conven, can pm?TQ

From Carrefour. I bought the red one quite long ago. Went there recently and saw a yellow one, with air compressor too.

↡ Advertisement