Recommendation for Reading Lights

Spherex

Hi,

Any recommendations on good reading lights, or lights for use with a notebook on a table?

any experience with any of these lights? so far these are some lights i see selling in most shops..

eg.

Z-Bar LED Lights

3M reading lights

Panasonic Lights

Philip Lights

Thanks!!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

U can go n see 3M website. Their light does not flicker. Felt 3M is bright n gd for reading n writing. If u tilt the light accidentally, it will auto off. The base of 3M light is heavy enuff...so if my smaller boy accidentally push it, it will nt topple easily....till now nvr topple over.

But hor it's e most ex among all lights, IMO...tink worth le...I waited n waited for Popular Bookstore 20% storewide offer then buy....for my big boy...

how does reading light help you? just curious

i've been using torchlight, streetlight from hdb corridor, and normal florescent lamp all my life.

never have to touch a spec....

reading light must be helping us in other way right? if not it will not cost so much more

Z-bar light -- multiple LED lights. Cool factor is high. Stylish but may not be bright enough. Expensive at above $200.

3M - Flicker free. The polarizer helps to reduce glare. moderately expensive at below $200

Panasonic - a normal florescent tube with inverter - It does not flicker similar to the above 2. Also have a tilt sensor that cuts off power. Only difference is no polarizer screen. so might be a bit too glaring for close use. Cheap at about $60.

Philips - never use before but should be similar to panasonic.

Ikea has come out with some LED reading lamps that you might want to check them out first. Or you can buy your own LED bulbs online.

Edited by Chao5

Neutral Newbie

My 3M table light cost me abt $143 aft discount. Ex but tink worth for my son's eyes.

http://www.mumcentre.com/community/www.mum...ils&cid=262

I nvr believe in expensive light...however, I had high astigmatism n was passed on to my elder son tat I became cautious on stuff related to my son's eye...so as to maintain the degree. Till now 3yrs of wearing specs, his degree maintains.

I oso noticed tat my eyes felt comfy when using 3M light...my eyes get tired n head gets giddy if not enuff light...felt it's gd lor.

My son loves 3M light too...everytime he does his homework, he nvr fail to on the light...it's a gd habit..IMO.

Edited by Limhm

how does reading light help you? just curious

i've been using torchlight, streetlight from hdb corridor, and normal florescent lamp all my life.

never have to touch a spec....

reading light must be helping us in other way right? if not it will not cost so much more

I'm actually buying it for my 71 yrs old dad. :)

He is currently using a small philips warm temperature light, which I feel that it's not really good for his eyes. Thinking of getting something taller to have more light coverage, with a cooler light for better contrast for easy reading and hopefully additional features like flicker-free, polarizing etc.

Neutral Newbie

Z-bar light -- multiple LED lights. Cool factor is high. Stylish but may not be bright enough. Expensive at above $200.

3M - Flicker free. The polarizer helps to reduce glare. moderately expensive at below $200

Panasonic - a normal florescent tube with inverter - It does not flicker similar to the above 2. Also have a tilt sensor that cuts off power. Only difference is no polarizer screen. so might be a bit too glaring for close use. Cheap at about $60.

Philips - never use before but should be similar to panasonic.

Ikea has come out with some LED reading lamps that you might want to check them out first. Or you can buy your own LED bulbs online.

I replaced my 3M table lamp with the Koncept Z-Bar LED lights one year ago. It's twice brighter than my 3M that I had. I'm happy with it so far.

I bought 3M one few years back for my daughter. it's lousy. In my option, it's worse than my Panny...

Just my 2 cents. Hope help you to decide.

I bought 3M one few years back for my daughter. it's lousy. In my option, it's worse than my Panny...

Just my 2 cents. Hope help you to decide.

Hi,

May I know why is the 3M lousy? not bright enough?

Thanks!

it is the light source that matters.

compare based on CRI (color rendering index) --> indicates the QUALITY of the light.

halogen and sun = 100

PLC = 80 (90 needs special indent)

LED = 70(for cool white); 80 (for warm white)

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

May I know why is the 3M lousy? not bright enough?

Thanks!

I bought a 3M first for my son. Didn't really like it as there was still a distinct reflection off my son's books, so the vaunted glare reduction didn't really work for me.

I bought a Panasonic flicker free lamp to his study table, the slightly more expensive version with a dimmer, and set it to the lowest level of brightness for my 5-yr-old son. According to the manual, that's the best setting, as a brighter lamp is actually harmful for young children.

I was researching into which table lamp to buy. There wasnt much information on the net, so this is the result of my research. hopefull this will be useful for someone in future.

There are 3 main technology in table lamp:

1) Inverter

florosence lamps fires at 50-60 times per second. some people can see the frikle. some cant. inverter causes it to fire at 55,000 times per second. this one confirm you cant see the fickle. Panasonic ones have this one. I end up buying 1 with dimmer control from best denki at $158. parisil dont carry panasonis lamps.

2) Polariser

Light coming from the florenscee lamp goes out at all directions and angles. a polariser only allow light that is travelling at 90 degree to the the polariser plate to come out. all other light travelling at other degrees are filtered out. this reduces glare (the reflection on some shiny surface books). Only 3M have this.

3) LED

good thing about LED is less heat generated. Philips and 3M have.

FAQ: Can I have all 3 technology?

No. It appears that panasonic uses inverter but no polariser. 3M have polariser but no inverter. it also appears that philips got no inverter nor polariser

• Praise 1

Hi bros.. bumping this old thread up.

Looking into buying a flicker free light for my kids too.

Can check what is the better now in the market? Cos it seem technology have change quite a lot now.

TiA

• Praise 1

Why need reading light in the first place? The ceiling light should be sufficient. Too bright actually do more damage than too dim. 

Why our eyesight so bad?

Type of paper used is one the culprit. There're simply too much use of super white bleached paper and glossy paper in our daily lives.

Last time I study engineering, I love those Indian engineering/technical textbooks 'cos all printed on non-glossy yellowish papers. Cheap also.

• Praise 2