Hyundai Genesis Coupe Coming!?

Zirco

WRONG. I also hope that the Sedan version will be available but those cars are certainly not the competitors of the sedan. This just shows that some Singaporeans (no offense) are not willing up to open up their minds into thinking that the Koreans are capable of creating a car that is as good as a Lexus or BMW. The competitors of the sedan version are the Audi A6, BMW 5-Series, Lexus GS and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, you will never see a editorial comparing the Genesis sedan to a car from a mainstream brand like Toyota and Honda.

Watch this:

and read this: Motor Trend - Hyundai Genesis First Test

I sat in the new genesis last year, but its interior is not comparable at all compared to the GS, or even the C class.

Something to do with the cheap plastic at the lower dash, and the way the buttons, plastic parts etc are shaped.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I sat in the new genesis last year, but its interior is not comparable at all compared to the GS, or even the C class.

Something to do with the cheap plastic at the lower dash, and the way the buttons, plastic parts etc are shaped.

But I think that u have to agree that the Genesis sedan has excellent value for money for something priced like a Lexus IS or BMW 3-Series. This is Hyundai's first attempt in making a real luxury car, we may have some minor gripes here and there but the Genesis certainly took North America by storm by being the first Korean car to take the title of the 2009 North American Car of the Year and the Canadian Car of the Year.

Edited by George1688

But I think that u have to agree that the Genesis sedan has excellent value for money for something priced like a Lexus IS or BMW 3-Series. This is Hyundai's first attempt in making a real luxury car, we may have some minor gripes here and there but the Genesis certainly took North America by storm by being the first Korean car to take the title of the 2009 North American Car of the Year and the Canadian Car of the Year.

Somehow, imo, I feel americans have a different way of rating their cars compared to europeans, and largely, singers who see conti cars as benchmark.

The chrysler 300c is a good example. 150k of grey plastic

I doubt the genesis will win any european awards, unless its value for money kind of stuff

Neutral Newbie

Somehow, imo, I feel americans have a different way of rating their cars compared to europeans, and largely, singers who see conti cars as benchmark.

The chrysler 300c is a good example. 150k of grey plastic

I doubt the genesis will win any european awards, unless its value for money kind of stuff

Europeans have their own luxury cars that are already cheap enough, no need for value for money Asian cars. Look at Lexus, the quality of their cars are superb, they are reliable etc. but people in Europe only buy Lexus for their hybrid cars. Chrysler 300C sucks, I agree, that's why Chrysler is going bankrupt... If u follow the American car market, by looking at the new models introduced by the big 3 since like June 2008, Chrysler is the one doing the least to refresh their model lineup.

Edited by George1688

..there are more and more choices for the lower end performance car market..

first there's this 2L genesis coupe, then the Kia Forte Coupe(the 2L Turbo)

these 2 will certainly give those 2-2.5L Evos/Rex/CTR/Golf Gti a run for their money..

in terms of performance, korean cars still no fight.

well a shootout review will have to be done to determine that. on the other hand, HKS is developing the Genesis 200 in Japan currently. So there is hope for it in the aftermarket mods world as well

well a shootout review will have to be done to determine that. on the other hand, HKS is developing the Genesis 200 in Japan currently. So there is hope for it in the aftermarket mods world as well

but the thought of competing with the honda engines...........not easy to outrun the type r.

Neutral Newbie

but the thought of competing with the honda engines...........not easy to outrun the type r.

sometimes its not about the ride but the driver.

sometimes its not about the ride but the driver.

all of us take the test from the TP. drivers more or less got the same skills. unless he/she go to the STATES to sign up for professional driving course.then its another different story.....

Neutral Newbie

oops seems that HKS is already done. limited arsenal, but still some poison from HKS

http://www.hks-power.co.kr/index.php?pgurl...AQ&ctno=345

Thanks, that's cool. I was reading that the 2.0T Genesis Coupe engine may not be as "strong" (as in able to mod up for more power) as the Evo X engine as it is "open deck" - anyone knows what that means?

It's good to see HKS has the basics - exhaust and intake. Spec R model should not need any suspension upgrades already, but a boost controller or ECU upgrade for more power would be nice. 200bhp from 2.0 turbo is a bit conservative. I remember even the S15 was 220bhp or something like that from the factory ya? My S14 many years back gained a good 20% with just inatke, exahust and small boost up (with electronic boost controller).

Neutral Newbie

anyone wad's the price tag for the genesis coupe?

I think only Komoco knows because Singapore has pretty weird pricing - e.g. in most countries, the WRX STI, Evo X and Golf R32 are all priced around the same, but in Singapore, Volkswagon & Mitsubishi expect a lot of margin for their cars.

I have read that in the States, the 3.8l V6 Track model is priced below the WRX STI. If Kodomo is agressive (and I am hoping they are), maybe they will price below 100K (current price of STI abt 105K). To me, if the 3.8l V6 is above 100K, I think the WRX STI is a betta buy. Even the Evo X can be had for 110-120K from PI nowadays, so I think pricing the 3.8l V6 track model above 100K would be a very silly move. It would probably give PIs room to compete.

The 2.0T Track and Spec R should be very competitively priced. I am hoping better than WRX 2.5 (which is about 85K?).

Let's hope Komoco takes the chance to price it right, capture the market and turn Hyundai branding around. If they get greedy and price high, no one buys it, and the brand benefits dissappear.

Im hoping the price is within $70-80k

Anything higher im sure many will opt for other makes regardless how good the genesis looks on the inside and outside.

Neutral Newbie

The Spec R is supposed to be 2.0 turbo with performance parts from Track model but without luxury items like bluetooth, etc... so maybe it will be sub SGD$80K. :-)

hmm. Hope that the Komoco provides 2 trim options - 1 fully loaded with features while the other remains sparse so that price can be lower.

Wonder if there is factory fitted blueteeth or not...

↡ Advertisement