Kill - 1 day jail ...... tax evade $152,275 - 6 months jail

Hishercar

It just does not make sense

kill somebody while driving and talking on the phone slap with 1 day jail and $12000 or $2000 fine

tax evade $152,275 get jail for 6 months ( that is at least 180 days) and $15,000 fine and ordered to pay a penalty of $256,329.68

dont pay fine for litering get 1 or more days jail

the maths

does not add up

how come no inquiry into billions of dollars lost in reserved fund, could it be a true error of judgement or was someone gambling and taking a huge unprecedent risk

Just how do they determine who to punish and the degree of punishment

any lawyer in MCF to explain please

no wonder we attract so many negative comments

Business Times - 29 Apr 2009

Practising accountant slapped with 6 months jail for tax evasion

Chng Chor Tong under-reported about $150,000

By JOYCE HOOI

CHNG Chor Tong yesterday became the first practising certified public accountant here to be convicted of tax evasion.

Chng, 51, was convicted on three counts of wilfully making false entries in his income tax returns for years of assessment of 1995, 2001 and 2002, relating to income from his audit and tax advisory firm CT Chng & Co.

He under-reported a total of $152,275 of income for those years of assessment. Inquiries revealed he stated lower gross profit figures, which led to lower adjusted profit values.

He was jailed for six months and ordered to pay a penalty of $75,200.52 - three times the $25,066.84 of tax under-charged.

'Investigations revealed that Chng Chor Tong was fully aware of the amount of takings from his sole proprietorship and deliberately under-reported his income over several years,' the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) said in a statement yesterday.

'This case serves to remind taxpayers that IRAS can bring a person to court for a tax evasion offence regardless of the number of years that has passed.'

Chng was charged in August last year with 11 counts of tax evasion for making false entries in his income tax returns.

He was found to have under-reported income totalling $2,438,325 for years of assessment 1995 to 2005 from his professional practice.

He pleaded guilty to three of the 11 charges and was given a discharge not amounting to acquittal on three charges for years of assessment 2003 to 2005. The Comptroller of Income Tax withdrew the remaining five charges and compounded these offences for $944,681.73.

IRAS said yesterday it takes a serious view of such offences by errant tax agents.

'Tax agents, especially accountants, have extensive knowledge and understanding of the Singapore tax system and are expected to be compliant with their own tax reporting obligations,' it said.

'IRAS will take harsh action against those who deliberately facilitate clients in under-declaring their tax or exploiting grey areas in the existing legal and administrative tax system.'

IRAS also said the clients of errant tax agents will be under scrutiny.

IRAS investigators unearthed Chng's involvement in a separate tax evasion case involving a client.

'Arising from this, Chng Chor Tong has paid $200,000 for compounding his offence in abetting one of his clients in the commission of a tax offence,' IRAS said.

In a separate case, OT Corporate Services yesterday became the first company to be convicted under the Serious Fraudulent Tax Evasion Provision.

It was found guilty of omitting income of $172,490 from its tax return and maintaining a false record for sub-contractor expenses amounting to $240,000 for year of assessment 2006.

It was fined $15,000 and ordered to pay a penalty of $256,329.68.

↡ Advertisement

much as i disagree with the glaring disproportionate sentences metted out to the two crimes as above, i think that the factor of intention and non-intention makes a significant difference in the eye of the law.

Edited by Vextan

You are right. The tax evasion case was committed with INTENTION, whereas the death caused by traffic accident was a case of careless driving, she/he has no intention to cause the death. The punishment for criminal cheating case is very severe, and this case is worse because he cheats the govt.

Neutral Newbie

[sweatdrop] U really shouldn't be surprised..If I'm not wrong, the same kinds of punishment are meted out in Hong Kong and world wide....US too....

The worst kind is the one in today's ST. Drink driving...cause death and NO jail! Worse than the Editor....maybe cos he got a famous lawyer to rep him....

the editor case: no lost or gain to gahman

tax evader case: financial lost to gahman so must "kill one to warn the hundreds" [lipsrsealed]

sometimes must see impact of the case to gahman on the whole....

Neutral Newbie

kill somebody while driving and talking on the phone slap with 1 day jail and $12000 or $2000 fine

i read somewhere that the singapore high court judge made a mistake in the journalist's hit and run and kill a pillion rider while using her handphone......... and this is a one-off case cannot be used as a precedent for future cases.............

Turbocharged

well, someone please keep this result for reference ......... i'm waiting for one fine day, some blur driver KILL an angmoh or elite, then i will cross check with the judgement std.... i'm saving this page now..... :ph34r:

Neutral Newbie

as i always said....''老天没眼''

Agreed! 同人不同命,同名不同命。。。 unfair unfair unfair!!! [rifle]