Are Jap cars Milo tin cans?

Kelfinity

Was browsing thru Stomp and saw the following article. Makes me wonder if Jap cars really have the qualities of tin cans (as in easily dented). Do Contis have such qualities too or only slightly better? Would the impact be different if the youths have fell on a Conti like say Mini Cooper or Renault Clio?

Stomp

STOMPer Kamper said a group of unruly youths were dashing across a traffic junction at Wheelock Place, when two of them fell onto his car, causing a huge dent on the bonnet.

He said:

"Everyone's heard of pedestrian being the subject of a hit and run, how about the other way around?

"My car was stationary beside wheelock place waiting for the main junction to turn green so I can proceed straight towards centerpoint, the time was about 2200 on 17th April.

"I was the third car from the front and the second row from the right of the road when all of a sudden, around six male youths below the age of 20 whom looked like they just enlisted in national service not too long ago, given their shaven hair, were dashing into the road, running between the gaps of the cars as though they were playing some dangerous game.

"Unfortunately, one of the boys collided with another who were at the other side of the car in front of me and they both fell onto my bonnet.

"Imagine the shock I had from the unexpected impact from youngsters running in the middle of the road under such heavy traffic! By the time I regain my senses they have already ran past my car.

"I was alone in my car and did not considered leaving my car in front of rows of traffic so I can give chase as it is highly unlikely I can catch them anyway given their ample headstart.

"Nonetheless, the impact dented my car's bonnet, which is barely six months old.

"I tried to made a police report only to have it be told that there is nothing that can be done, which is pretty much to my expectations anyway.

"I thought that LTA could be of some assistance since they may have a junction camera installed that might have captured that incident, but the hotline wasn't useful as well.

"So at the end of the day I am forced to bare the cost of repairs for a collision that was completely not my fault.

"There were many witnesses to this incident as the area outside wheelock place was rather crowded and there are many cars around me, I can only pray for the minute hope that a fellow stomper bore witness to this incident and have some knowledge to their identity.

"Such delinquents should be taught a lesson as they pose a danger to themselves and the people around them."

Edited by Kelfinity
↡ Advertisement

A start of a flame...

Depending on angle of impact and now newer cars are increasely tested with NCAP rating for accident against pedestrian.

Regards,

Maybe the boy weighs 200pounds, factor in the speed of gravity when he's falling( x 9.81m/s) and times the angle/direction of impact, the force hitting the bonnet is enough to cause a big dent. [:p][laugh]

Edited by Watwheels

When the Jap cars first came into the market in late 60's, they were being labeled as cars made of overtine can. But I think not the Jap cars of today

Old school thinking used to be that the harder and more rigid, the safer. Modern science and technology thinks otherwise.

From the pictures, the boys landed on the crush zone of the car. That area is supposed to crumple upon impact during a collision to absorb energy so as the protect the occupants. Also using thinner material (sheet steel or aluminium) on the car body, lightens the car weight substantially. A lighter car's impact is lesser during a collision compared to a heavier one, which increase the chance of survivor of the occupants.

Actually milo tins are hardier than most cars. Judging from the ease at which door dents are collected, I think it's more like Coke cans.

Old school thinking used to be that the harder and more rigid, the safer. Modern science and technology thinks otherwise.

From the pictures, the boys landed on the crush zone of the car. That area is supposed to crumple upon impact during a collision to absorb energy so as the protect the occupants. Also using thinner material (sheet steel or aluminium) on the car body, lightens the car weight substantially. A lighter car's impact is lesser during a collision compared to a heavier one, which increase the chance of survivor of the occupants.

Actually milo tins are hardier than most cars. Judging from the ease at which door dents are collected, I think it's more like Coke cans.

Coke cans? I guess Volvo cars are made of Jia Jia Liang Teh cans then. Volvos are supposedly build like tanks in the old days. Duno about now though. [scholar]

Depending on which particular make and where the impact landed.

My bro's Legacy (MIJ) got twice accident where some other car rear end his. Both cases the front of the other car was quite badly damaged (probably due to crumple zone) while the Legacy rear only got scratches. [thumbsup]

boy is lucky to have landed on crush zone of poor car [sweatdrop]

if boy fall unto bed of lowlee, boy will [bigcry]

nissan cabstar lowlee man: huh??? got meh??? [confused]

nissan cabstar lowlee man: [sly] who says Jap cars are Milo tin cans [pirate]

Edited by Mustank

Short answer : yes. But hey, at least they recycled!

Shut the doors of BMW and Merc, can hear the difference. Even with Lexus GS model, the door sounds very light too. But then, Jap car usually has better FC.

Edited by Billcoke

Supersonic

Depending on which particular make and where the impact landed.

My bro's Legacy (MIJ) got twice accident where some other car rear end his. Both cases the front of the other car was quite badly damaged (probably due to crumple zone) while the Legacy rear only got scratches. [thumbsup]

I think Subaru are tougher cars. I had a Justy once. It was much tougher than my friend's Swift.

But you seldom hear it being a FC winner.

bang onto someone n e 1st thing he worry is e dent on his stupid bonnet....wat kind of human is tis [shakehead]

he did not bang into someone la

he was stationary when some goon fell on his bonnet... [smash]

U r one of those who knows the truth about "hard" cars [thumbsup]

To many pple, the harder the car, the safer it is.

To them, they will never ever accept any facts about car safety and continue to swear by the Volvo of the 80s [sly]