Opel Astra 2010

Orablue

I was going to say 'WAH SWEE" even before I clicked on your thread.

Now all I can say is that it is sleek (like any new conti car nowadays), but definitely not special at all.

That backside is like an improved version of the Mazda3 HB.

In fact, its got too much Mazda all over its design from the sideprofile ( CX7 ), front (2010 Mazda3)

This reminded me something.

At that time when I was shopping for car though now hold back the plan, the Opel SE was already telling me about the new Astra. I was looking for Vectra and was told it has been discountined and tentatively no news for the arrival of the replacement model then.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Good looking car, same design philosophy as the Insignia. [thumbsup]

But i noticed no matter how good Opels look or how well they handle, don't seem to see much on the road.

The Vectra for example, handsome looks, but maybe see once a quarter and always the same one in green. never noticed the license plate. :mellow:

Good looking car, same design philosophy as the Insignia. [thumbsup]

But i noticed no matter how good Opels look or how well they handle, don't seem to see much on the road.

The Vectra for example, handsome looks, but maybe see once a quarter and always the same one in green. never noticed the license plate. :mellow:

I've been seeing a sliver one instead [laugh].

Regards,

Vectra could be a little hard to spot.. though there are quite a few can be found in Eastern ( Bedok/Tampines/Pasir Ris ) area. All Vectra have been sold and will be replaced by the Insignia. No confirm date as yet.

The Astra is more of bread and butter and can be found all over the place... but in most cases when looking from the back of the car, it's always mistaken for Nissan Latio. That's why you may not see them as often..

Somehow, I will always see another Astra on the road everyday ( driving from Eastern to North part of singapore ).

The new Astra will get a brand new 1.4L turbo engine, churning out 140 bhp. Gearbox wise I am not so sure.

According to The Straits Times today, the 1.4L Turbo will be mated to a six speed auto gearbox.

The car will be in during the first quarter of next year. How's the reliability of Opel ?

The new Astra will get a brand new 1.4L turbo engine, churning out 140 bhp. Gearbox wise I am not so sure.

Neutral Newbie

Looks very much like the Fiat Bravo.

Even the 1.4T Engine and 6 speed MTA is similar.

Neutral Newbie

i drove a Stream previously b4 switiching to a Zafira. since changing into an Opel, i have no regrets as its gearbox is far more responsive and powerful than my previous Stream which is more for a comfort ride. Fuel efficiency wise is similar once u pick up the Opel's gearbox well.

Most impt, Opel cars are Conti-specs, i.e. more safer as they r almost all 5-star crash rating, and have more safety features than most Jap cars.

According to The Straits Times today, the 1.4L Turbo will be mated to a six speed auto gearbox.

The car will be in during the first quarter of next year. How's the reliability of Opel ?

This reminded me something.

At that time when I was shopping for car though now hold back the plan, the Opel SE was already telling me about the new Astra. I was looking for Vectra and was told it has been discountined and tentatively no news for the arrival of the replacement model then.

Regards,

The Vectra have been replaced by the Insignia ! The SE is not well informed ! Don't know why the dealer is not bringing in the new Insignia when it have been on sale in Europe since December 2008 !

(edited)

The Vectra have been replaced by the Insignia ! The SE is not well informed ! Don't know why the dealer is not bringing in the new Insignia when it have been on sale in Europe since December 2008 !

The new Opel Insignia looks very cool man! [thumbsup]

But the engine spec is nothing to shout about. [shakehead]

The SG Opel AD is always slow as before....if I remember correctly I read somewhere it said it would probably come only in 2010... [grouphug]

Edited by 7007

Neutral Newbie

Bought the Astra sedan (1.6 litre manual, 16 valves DOHC) in June of 1995, scrapped in November 2000. It was a solid car, had nice looks. The rear was cramped. Being a manual, pick up was great but noisy. I had free three year servicing and warranty. Unfortunately, the engine management light kept coming on once every two or three months, the previous distributor did not know how to fix it and I had to send the car to the workshop everytime the light came on.

I lost my patience near the third year and made a complaint to the General Manager, they tried to fix the problem and even had their German Engineers looked at it. Finally they discovered the engine was choked with carbon. From then on, I had to send the car for periodic cleaning. When the "brain" gave way on year 5, I got it replaced and a month later had the car scrapped. That was not the first time the brain stopped working, previously it was replaced under warranty.

I enjoyed the drive and excitement of the Astra, that was my first car in Singapore (and still the longest period I have owned a vehicle). It is a shame I have to frequent the workshop often. Hope the newer generation's engines are more reliable, when I see an Astra on the road, I still think my previous car. :D

The Astra F do have some niggles.. mine was the air condition that will not kick in unless on high speed cruising.. well nothing that cannot be fix... The G somehow rather have more robust to the design.. and still driving it today.. Super Solid feel to it..

I guess I'm an Astra convert - have both the G and the H.

Had to change the G's radiator two weeks ago (but it's 8 years old). Otherwise, everything's OK! Solid car and very spirited drive. I like the fact that it is not so popular in Singapore - that way, you really get very good value money for the kind of car that can give the other more popular (and also expensive) ones a run for their money!

Neutral Newbie

My "Love Affair" with Opel Zafira

05 April 2002 Bought Zafira 1.8A S$112,988

16 April 2002 Unable to start engine in the morning. Towed back to service centre. Told due to electronic fault.

28 March 2005 Car suddenly lost power while travelling along expressway, luckily family not in car, also not tailgated by big truck.

Crawled to service centre. Told due to tunning problem. Paid S$71.40.

30 March 2005 Same problem again. Went back to service centre. Told need to replace "FUEL INJ CTRL UNIT". Not covered under warranty, it's due to 'wear & tear'. Paid S$1796.68.

12 April 2005 Same problem recurred. This time told need to replace "CONTROL UNIT, ABS HYD". Asked whether I had thrown away the old 'Fuel Inj Ctr Unit", I said still in my boot. They took back the one that was installed two weeks ago.

22 April 2005 Kenna same problem again. 4th time I returned with the same problems. This time said "THROTTLE VALVE BODY" choked, and blamed it on the shell petrol that I was using, and they said they wrote to SHELL and highlighted this problem to them. They said out of goodwill they waived the labor cost of clearing up the choke.

I changed to ESSO MOBILE petrol.

15 Jan 2006 Same problem recurred. Now I know the problem is not with the petrol. Sent back to have the "THROTTLE VALVE BODY" cleared up again. Paid S$61.13.

05 August 2006 Could not stand the "LEMON" anymore. Trade-in for a Brand New HONDA ODYSSEY S$92 000 .

Travelled 52000 km on the Odyssey, No problem, superb handling superb reliability.

(edited)

Wow...you really had a lemon. :D :D Good that you have moved on.

Luckily for me, had clocked over 110,000km in 4yrs on my meriva...which has since passed over to mum and and still running well so far. [;)]

Edited by Silver_blade
↡ Advertisement