Why people leave their companies

Darth_mel

Interesting to see this article cos I'm in the midst of trying to find another job.

Although I am in one of the bigger IT firms, I don't see the prospects. My bosses are clueless themselves.

A colleague that came in 1 week later was promoted cos he was directly under my boss and doing development.

My team was under this manager that was never around. My senior spoke to her (our manager then),

she said too bad you guys are doing maintenance so pushing for promotion is harder.

That was 1.5 years ago. This past while I kept hearing from my senior that our bosses appreciate our efforts and wants

to do something for us. Till this day all I hear is floating bubbles. Recently they brought in a super naggy manager who

wastes our time trying to find out things and scolding us when she gets confused.

its like that when you are a salaried worker, your immediate superior is alos a salaried worker, and everyone else in the company is a salaried worker.

when you apply the following equation:

monthly paycheck = workload x 170hrs

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the limit one can do and earn in such a role.

therefore, why the committment in the first place?

if you think you are better than your boss, come out and do on your own.

you can make it if you think you can make it.

its like that when you are a salaried worker, your immediate superior is alos a salaried worker, and everyone else in the company is a salaried worker.

when you apply the following equation:

monthly paycheck = workload x 170hrs

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the limit one can do and earn in such a role.

therefore, why the committment in the first place?

if you think you are better than your boss, come out and do on your own.

you can make it if you think you can make it.

eh very long never see u online.

i remember ur avatar [sly]

When I sent my boss this, she flipped nad wondered why I sent her and that she was saying that she treasured me blah blha....

I had to explain to her that 'I am staying and not leaving and that me staying has to do with appreciating bosses for what they are'...haha....sometimes bosses need encouragement too nia....

most importantly, it's a she.. no wonder u stayed

Supercharged

I didn't read through all the 5 pages, but in local context I dare say it is not often due to the manager, but the company. In ang moh context, it's probably the manager which this article is pointing to.

Why?

Because in local context, it is often the case of keep piling the job to the employee without proper renumeration and reward. Some guy leave, and the next thing you know, your scope is double but your salary is not (your boss can still be nice though).

Asians have a problem with giving renumeration although personality wise they are still consider humble to employees. Ang Moh don't have a problem with renumeration, infact they give more than they should (just like the banks bonuses), but their attitude to employee sucks.

Neutral Newbie

Topz.. [thumbsup] great post. I always believe in treating your people well..they are after all the ones doing the ground works..if they leave, rehire, retrain, that is a hell lot of process to go thru

Supercharged

Topz.. [thumbsup] great post. I always believe in treating your people well..they are after all the ones doing the ground works..if they leave, rehire, retrain, that is a hell lot of process to go thru

My experience is that in Singapore local firms (bosses are locas or Asians), most bosses are quite ok but the renumeration they give totally sucks. People leave because of bad salary.

In Singapore foreign MNCs (most bosses are ang mohs), the salary they give is good, but the bosses has a certain attitude towards staff. Maybe because it's a foreign company, local staff to them is just another "pawn". Fire and hire is common in a foreign MNC.

eh very long never see u online.

i remember ur avatar [sly]

haha, still thinking about that lady ah

now she married already lo.

been looking around the forum all the time, most of the time just don't know what to type, so seems like very silent [sleeping]

Neutral Newbie

My experience is that in Singapore local firms (bosses are locas or Asians), most bosses are quite ok but the renumeration they give totally sucks. People leave because of bad salary.

In Singapore foreign MNCs (most bosses are ang mohs), the salary they give is good, but the bosses has a certain attitude towards staff. Maybe because it's a foreign company, local staff to them is just another "pawn". Fire and hire is common in a foreign MNC.

I agree with you on local bosses....they can be very nice to you day in day out....but when come to promotion or increment...TKK (aka wait long long)...

Neutral Newbie

True enough, the article is rather good. I working for a local firm with a FT as a GM. Total CMI. He get the highest pay, working for the bosses and make sarcastic remark when subordinates make mistake. The only thing he do is, talk to bosses and protect his babies, the accts dept. He will scold loudly at other dept for making minor mistakes.

To some, it is the way the company is managed that scared people away. For most, it is the interaction between managers and subordinates that scare the staff away. My bro recent went into an ah moh aerospace company and he likes it. Although the pay is low. The welfare is good and it suits him. Btw, if interaction is the key to all things, how come service crews at everywhere got the most lowest pay ?.. Can someone enlighten on this ?..

True enough, the article is rather good. I working for a local firm with a FT as a GM. Total CMI. He get the highest pay, working for the bosses and make sarcastic remark when subordinates make mistake. The only thing he do is, talk to bosses and protect his babies, the accts dept. He will scold loudly at other dept for making minor mistakes.

To some, it is the way the company is managed that scared people away. For most, it is the interaction between managers and subordinates that scare the staff away. My bro recent went into an ah moh aerospace company and he likes it. Although the pay is low. The welfare is good and it suits him. Btw, if interaction is the key to all things, how come service crews at everywhere got the most lowest pay ?.. Can someone enlighten on this ?..

Service can be easily replaced...

the people who BRINGS in the money gets the most pay

for service crews, u are dealing with customers, which in real life, are the real bosses of your company, thus interaction is crucial....

for internal staff, example accounts staff vs sales vs purchase vs mgt vs whatever, I must say interaction is also crucial but not as critical, the bosses can tell u to chose another job, but u cannot chose customers (your real bosses)...

service crew get low pay becos of their job nature, to serve or maybe manual/call center jobs, u cannot expect them to get the same pay as a accountant/engineer or senior manager...

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Ohh, I actually came from a retail background to middle management position (Different company). All the while, I can't figure that logic.. Worst, the management policy make it so hard for retailers to actually satisfied the customers. Of course, don't include those people who purposely make a big hoo haa over small little things. Being in a retail line, there are 2 options when meeting customers complain.

1) Favor the customer and make the customer happy. But, get prepared to get whack from company management people or pay back the loss.

2) Favor the company. Get prepared to get whack from customer by sending in complain letters.

I have been whack by both sides. That is why I left my ex-company. Lucky is only a year.. Secondly is low pay, as what most brothers will agree.

Edited by Supra