BMW X3

Leech

Hi bros, I tried to search for the subject but has no returns. May I know if anyone has any comments on the X3? I have read pretty nasty reviews from abroad. All views welcomed. In particular, maintenance costs and FC? Would you consider a 4yr old X3? Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hi bros, I tried to search for the subject but has no returns. May I know if anyone has any comments on the X3? I have read pretty nasty reviews from abroad. All views welcomed. In particular, maintenance costs and FC? Would you consider a 4yr old X3? Thanks.

i heard its underpowered.. get X5 instead

Supercharged

if you want good fuel efficiency, then don't get Stupid Useless Vehicles.

SUV are built to be inefficient, with heaviness, their high aero-drag, higher tendency to roll over,

etc...

only good for ladies, short guys, who like to feel high and mighty.

only good for ladies, short guys, who like to feel high and mighty.

Wah bro, your statement not very appropriate leh ...... yes i do drive an SUV :P

Turbocharged

X3 is like the dark child of the BMW family. It rides bad, tacky interior and fussy exterior. In a nutshell, it shows the difference between having money and taste. There are better cars which are cheaper and cheaper cars with more taste. Even thinking about it would be a sin to any discerning motorist with any pride. If I have to, it'll just be the badge in front, behind and steering wheel....okay, 4 rims. Other than dat, I'll rather keep the moolah and walk.

Supercharged

Wah bro, your statement not very appropriate leh ...... yes i do drive an SUV :P

yes, bery politically incorrect but i feel is bery true.

oh, i drove them before, so i know how good it feels to tower over other motorists.

but that doesn't change the fact that they are a menace to the environment and other motorists.

Neutral Newbie

You may want to post your question in www.bmw-sg.com

May get some advices on the car.

a docile and fuel efficent and low slung Altis can also be a menace to other motorists. ah well to each his opnion !

X3 is like the dark child of the BMW family. It rides bad, tacky interior and fussy exterior. In a nutshell, it shows the difference between having money and taste. There are better cars which are cheaper and cheaper cars with more taste. Even thinking about it would be a sin to any discerning motorist with any pride. If I have to, it'll just be the badge in front, behind and steering wheel....okay, 4 rims. Other than dat, I'll rather keep the moolah and walk.

Bro, u have very strong opinion (negative) re this car. May I know why? What I have been offered is an Apr-05 model. OMV @ $52k and now selling at $73.5k. That's why damn itchy backside....

Supercharged

a docile and fuel efficent and low slung Altis can also be a menace to other motorists. ah well to each his opnion !

a penknife can oso kill you but a gun can kill you much easier.

all things being equal, eg. same driver, the SUV is deadlier, with more mass,

more energy, and height with which to hammer other motorists in case of accidents.

to argue otherwise would be trying to defer physics.

but of course, you'll be happy with your opinion since you are the one in the "safer" SUV.

(edited)

Pre-2007 X3 2.5L sold in SG uses the venerable M54 IL-6 engine, without Valvetronic. Now, that's an engine to die for.

That would be the best setup, compared to the current (2007 and later) N52 Valvetronic engine.

With nearly 200 BHP and 250 Nm torque, it is slung lower than the X5, with a slightly shorter wheelbase and thus handles better. In fact, the X3 is one of the best handling SUVs around, period.

The x-Drive AWD (with courtesy from Land Rover, which BMW had owned for a while, just for technology transfer) has to be experienced to be believed. It enables the X3 to hug bends at high speeds with minimal understeer.

It still retains the BMW drive feel, with hydraulic power steering. IMHO, there is much to be said about the thrash electric power steering that you get in many entry-level cars nowadays. Super light (SEGA game-like) steering with almost no feel at all.

Its one setback is FC. With a heavy right foot and high RPMs, 6-7 km/L is the norm.

Build quality is second to none. Solidity is the word .... much much more than any Japanese SUV.

I have seen accidents involving Jap sedans and the X3. The former normally crushed much more significantly, due to thinner-gauge metal sheet used. Just imagine an X3 ramming through your sedan from side impact. Enuf said.

Go test one and feel its poise and traction .... better still, do it on a wet road. No wheel spins, no fish tails / oversteer (AKA RWD), no dreaded torque / under steer (aka FWD). Safe, solid and fun.

Edited by Astrid

Overall OK lah. but the interior look and fittings very dated......

I think FC would easily by under 6km/liter if foot is heavy.

It's "cheap" and quite a "value for money" way to get the badge.

If backside itchy, go for a second hand ML350

Well i watch Top Gear and it review X3 as a horrible ride.. X5 is better in terms of SUV. [flowerface]

to be fair, TG reviews it on the basis as a "SUV". but to be honest, we do not buy it as an "SUV".

Well i watch Top Gear and it review X3 as a horrible ride.. X5 is better in terms of SUV. [flowerface]

Top Gear reviewed the X3 off road, on the mud tracks.

Wrong move, IMHO!

BMW never marketted the X3 to be an SUV.

It just ain't designed to do serious off roading.

Its meant to handle city roads, sweeping highways and 'B' roads superbly, like in SG.

At >100 km/h cruising on expressways, at top gear, I must say that it handles like a Grand Turismo (GT), in the real sense of the word. Pliant, comfortable and hush (no engine drone at high speeds). Definitely no ear/body fatigue after long-haul journeys.

And ..... 0-100 in 9+ seconds, for an SAV.

My colleague has an X3.

Very comfortable ride, compared with the recent BMW E90 and E60 sedans using 'run flat' tyres.

Interior is quite similar to the 3-series sedan .... very understated and sedate, nothing glary screaming at you.

↡ Advertisement