Any jobless/job seekers ard?

Peqasus

I was unemployed for 3 months. Those 3 months are a test of your mental strength and of course, the number of zeros in your bank account.

During those 3 months, I learnt to appreciate things that I took for granted and started to look at professions that many dreaded or would steer clear. I realised all professions are equal. Only the clowns in the professions made the difference between respected and black sheep.

I sent out close to 250 resumes and have close to 15 interviews. The thing I hated about interviews is letting interviewers vet and question you, feel so naked in front of them. Another thing is each unsuccessful interview is a waste of money spent on transport and food. However each call and interview gave me hopes and something to look for.

There were 3 offers. I rejected 1 while I had no offers in sight. Then another came and another had a higher pay. I took the lower pay offer and it’s been 4 months into the new job. Thankfully.

If u are a singaporean and unemployed, try to visit the Workforce Singapore for career guidance. It might help. Cheers and good luck to fellow Singaporeans on the hunt.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

me too... managing people is a headache sometimes [dizzy]

Those production supervisors in big manufacturing industry lar gi worst. They have to manage a bunch of lowly educated aunties production workers. When there is conflict between the aunties, production supervisor need to become their meditator. Example, some aunties just want to earn a living to pass time so they chao keng. Hard working worker sore eye will complaint to their supervisor. If u are high EQ supervisor, how are u going to manage their conflict?

I was unemployed for 3 months. Those 3 months are a test of your mental strength and of course, the number of zeros in your bank account.

During those 3 months, I learnt to appreciate things that I took for granted and started to look at professions that many dreaded or would steer clear. I realised all professions are equal. Only the clowns in the professions made the difference between respected and black sheep.

I sent out close to 250 resumes and have close to 15 interviews. The thing I hated about interviews is letting interviewers vet and question you, feel so naked in front of them. Another thing is each unsuccessful interview is a waste of money spent on transport and food. However each call and interview gave me hopes and something to look for.

There were 3 offers. I rejected 1 while I had no offers in sight. Then another came and another had a higher pay. I took the lower pay offer and itâs been 4 months into the new job. Thankfully.

If u are a singaporean and unemployed, try to visit the Workforce Singapore for career guidance. It might help. Cheers and good luck to fellow Singaporeans on the hunt.

Congrats sir and hope you are happy in your new role. Did you get any package when you were asked to leave? Reckon that would help you tide over some uncertainty and would have also given you some buffer to choose a job of your liking too.

Just one point of confusion.... You said you would waste money on food if you went for an unsuccessful interview. Did you not have to eat if you stayed home?

Edited by Kusje

Those production supervisors in big manufacturing industry lar gi worst. They have to manage a bunch of lowly educated aunties production workers. When there is conflict between the aunties, production supervisor need to become their meditator. Example, some aunties just want to earn a living to pass time so they chao keng. Hard working worker sore eye will complaint to their supervisor. If u are high EQ supervisor, how are u going to manage their conflict?

I used to work as an engineer in a semiconductor plant. We had operators from Malaysia, locals, PRC and Pinoys. During CNY, there are often many disputes because plant is operating 24/7 but every Chinese want to take leave on cny. Yes cny is not a holiday for them. Some of them get so upset and cry.

So who goes in leave during cny?

Singaporeans go on leave during 1st 2 days of cny because we stay in the country so essentially we will return on the 3rd day. Malaysians living in Johor can go on leave on 1st 2 days because it is a shorter journey. Those staying in other states will take leave after 3rd day. PRC have to stay because it doesn’t make sense for them to fly back touch the wall and return. It caused much happiness for them. Not easy to deal with Operators especially females. Some will cry foul and literally go down and beg to go back. We take cny for granted but for some, it’s very important to be home but work is work. If I recalled correctly, it’s triple pay for those who worked during cny but they prefer to be home.

Congrats sir and hope you are happy in your new role. Did you get any package when you were asked to leave? Reckon that would help you time over done uncertainty and would have also given you some buffer to choose a job of your liking too.

Just one point of confusion.... You said you would waste money on food if you went for an unsuccessful interview. Did you not have to eat if you stayed home?

if I am home, I eat simple food eg bread or cook my own noodles etc.its just me alone for lunch so sometimes lazy to go out so just eat simply. Sometimes when outside for interviews, tempted to go at something nice so that’s spending money.

Sometimes when I am lucky, I get back to back interviews with lunch in between so that’s when I grab some food outside.

The worst interview I had was a 5min interview with a mining company with office in Singapore. A consulting firm, not MBB, wanted me to attnend the interview. I told the manager I don’t have the skills on the jd. The manager said it’s ok, the jd was obsolete so asked me to meet his client. He told me client is looking for people like me. Client told me in 5 Min that’s i don’t have the skills. Felt like xxxx the idiotic consulting firm manager... wasted my time and money on transport. He was just trying his luck at my expense, showing to the client he’s trying to get a headcount for he project. Damn that idiot.

Edited by Fishy

Like people always say, if you cant beat them join them. Since you cannot escape from office politics no mater which company you go lo.  [laugh]

Nah, office politics is literally wasting my breath and energy. Since I don't engage in office politics, I have more time to analyze my work, less stress and the best part is I usually go off on time.

The worst interview I had was a 5min interview with a mining company with office in Singapore. A consulting firm, not MBB, wanted me to attnend the interview. I told the manager I don’t have the skills on the jd. The manager said it’s ok, the jd was obsolete so asked me to meet his client. He told me client is looking for people like me. Client told me in 5 Min that’s i don’t have the skills. Felt like xxxx the idiotic consulting firm manager... wasted my time and money on transport. He was just trying his luck at my expense, showing to the client he’s trying to get a headcount for he project. Damn that idiot.

Most recruiters are like that. It's easier for them to ask you than to upset the hiring manager but they don't realize both ends are their customers.

Nah, office politics is literally wasting my breath and energy. Since I don't engage in office politics, I have more time to analyze my work, less stress and the best part is I usually go off on time.

Sometimes even you dont engage in office politics, but office politics come and look for you lo.

Sometimes even you dont engage in office politics, but office politics come and look for you lo.

Do your job, get your work done on time and on satisfactory levels, take your pay and go home.

The rest don't go kay poh. 

But not everyone know their job.

So we have to play politics to survive.

I am not a very good chiropractor I just

touch touch here and touch touch there only.

Mine not so much play politics as I am self employed

more like just play play only.

:D

• Praise 2

You're right but there's no way to please everybody, however there's a way to please the majority; the trick is not to get involved at all in the first place.

Once you're in a clique, I find that there will come a time where decisions will be bias and that's not professional.

I rather be hated by people for doing my job professionally.

You're right but there's no way to please everybody, however there's a way to please the majority; the trick is not to get involved at all in the first place.

Once you're in a clique, I find that there will come a time where decisions will be bias and that's not professional.

I rather be hated by people for doing my job professionally.

You still have to find a clique in the office whether you like it or not. Avoidance is not a good way to get away from politics. 

You still have to find a clique in the office whether you like it or not. Avoidance is not a good way to get away from politics. 

Do your job, get your work done on time and on satisfactory levels, take your pay and go home.

Your boss won't care whether you have a clique to gossip to or not. He is more aware whether you have done your work or not in time and on satisfactory levels in which you should use your time in. 

Your boss won't care whether you have a clique to gossip to or not. He is more aware whether you have done your work or not in time and on satisfactory levels in which you should use your time in. 

Some boss might still see if you can get along with colleagues in the office or not de. If you are over lone ranger, some boss might not like it also. Even you have done your work properly.

Edited by 13177
↡ Advertisement