Diabetes ravages emerging nations in Asia, Africa

Hondacub777

wanna find out which brand of test kit(blood sugar) to get.intend to get 1 for my mum.anyway,anyone here got experience with diabetes within family members?can they lead a normal life?what do they have to take care?any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

wanna find out which brand of test kit(blood sugar) to get.intend to get 1 for my mum.anyway,anyone here got experience with diabetes within family members?can they lead a normal life?what do they have to take care?any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated thumbsup.gif

Huge spike in number of adults with diabetes

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/huge-spike-in-number-of-adults-with-diabetes

Many people have it; My mum has it for over 50 years now; Problems become worser when they are after 70+++ and it becomes and behaves in its own way , leading to blindness, kidneys being affected, gangraine....... just too many

Reports list that one in 10 adults has it (I dont remember if it mentioned age group or region) so thats a whopping 10%

Any bros .... want to share ..... please do 

• Praise 2

Low carb diet to manage it...

So does low carb mean high fibre?? Problem is that at times,  some times the sugar level goes low too and initially the dietician said take more of veges and little or no rice and more wholemeal stuff; But now since she gets low sugar levels frequently she has been encouraged to take a little more rice. I guess after a certain age it "acts" up on its own free will. She even has reduced the medication too

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Those with suspected diabetes or diabetes better check your own blood glucose regularly so you can monitor it. If need be, get your own monitor. Don't need to buy the 100+ SGD one in Singapore as there are cheap and reliable brands (like GE - General Electric) for sale on amazon.

You will need:

1. Monitor

2. Test strips

3. needle thingie to prick yourself (this one can buy in SG as price difference isn't too much)

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

So does low carb mean high fibre?? Problem is that at times,  some times the sugar level goes low too and initially the dietician said take more of veges and little or no rice and more wholemeal stuff; But now since she gets low sugar levels frequently she has been encouraged to take a little more rice. I guess after a certain age it "acts" up on its own free will. She even has reduced the medication too

Low carb, just mean cut down carbohydrate.. Less bread, less rice, less noodle, less sugar., less cakes..etc. I would still eat vege for the fibre too.

There's a thread talking about low carb diet here, http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2647027-exercising-without-a-gym/

• Praise 1

Those with suspected diabetes or diabetes better check your own blood glucose regularly so you can monitor it. If need be, get your own monitor. Don't need to buy the 100+ SGD one in Singapore as there are cheap and reliable brands (like GE - General Electric) for sale on amazon.

You will need:

1. Monitor

2. Test strips

3. needle thingie to prick yourself (this one can buy in SG as price difference isn't too much)

Normally she buys from Polyclinic as it seems  as they are subsidized - some Accucheck brand ; the equipment is not so costly OK OK but the strips are kind of expensive ; though the are claimed to be susidised there; Yes she checks it regularly ; and really our so called "subsidised " cannot beat Amazon at times but its the shipment cost again issue   

Twincharged

I just kenah diagnosed with DB last month ... 7.2 ... Dr gave me meds (metformin) ... stopped taking after a few doses as always caused me stomach ache  !!

next month going for foot and eye test !!

Hi,

Just sharing. Was diagnose with Type 2 Diabetes last year.

On metformin(500mg) 2x a day after meals. Was extremely obese. 

Went on a weight loss regime. Lost 35kg 1year.

Now i'm off meds for 3months already.

Last Hba1c in March shows 5.8.

Fasting Blood sugar at 4.6.

In Optimal range.

So Type 2 Diabetes can be overcome/managed.

Especially for newly Diagnosed. Diet & Exercise is KEY.

Eating well very important. Engage a nutritionist.

Cut out processed foods. Avoid refined sugar.

Limit Carbo. Especially refined carbs.

Eat more Vege/Whole grains.

Small meals every 2hrs+.

Have some fruits.

(BMI 19-23 is Crucial)

Cheers!  [;)]

• Praise 12

I just kenah diagnosed with DB last month ... 7.2 ... Dr gave me meds (metformin) ... stopped taking after a few doses as always caused me stomach ache  !!

next month going for foot and eye test !!

start from 250mg twice daily x 1 week then slowly up the dose from there. These gastrointestinal symptoms are usually dose related and not being used to the medicine.

• Praise 2

it's all about the diet mainly.  We are talking type 2 here.

If you have a genetic pre disposition, all the more you need to take care of your diet.

Globally it is on the rise and needs to be addressed at the Primary healthcare level where education is key on the dangers of too much sweet food.  

I believe HPB is looking at aggressive programmes in schools now and I have been part of a few of them.  Scary to think how they eat and what they eat.  Parental education is much needed too

• Praise 7

Twincharged

start from 250mg twice daily x 1 week then slowly up the dose from there. These gastrointestinal symptoms are usually dose related and not being used to the medicine.

post-2854-0-62840900-1460015067.jpg

was taking this ... 1 pill twice daily after meals ...

just like detox !!

• Praise 1

attachicon.gifmetformin.JPG

was taking this ... 1 pill twice daily after meals ...

just like detox !!

cut into half tablet 1st and eat 1/2 tab twice daily. Then slowly increase it up after 7-10 days.

Most people are ok with the medicines if they do this.

• Praise 1

refined and processed food is the main cause. 

refined and processed food is also the cause of other health issues, not just diabetes.

so now also more conscious about the types of food I buy and consume.

• Praise 5

New taskforce established to wage ‘war on diabetes'

Minister for Health Gan Kim Yong will co-chair a new Diabetes Prevention and Care Taskforce with Acting Minister for Education (Schools) Ng Chee Meng.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-taskforce-established/2691422.html

Edited by Blueray
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1