• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
107 replies to this topic | 25 praises

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

Guyver
  • Premium member
    Guyver
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Dear all,

Ants problem .... black ones. Seems to be getting alot lately.

Any good way to remove them?
"I rather be disliked by people for who I really am, than to be liked by people for who I am not."

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

Simplesilver
  • Premium member
    Simplesilver
    Turbocharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

which kinds? the tiny ones, or the big kinds?
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." — Bob Marley.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

Sunnycrowe
  • Sunnycrowe
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

mine alwaz appear on the kitchen top.. those tiny ones... they dun seem to like sweet things, but like to drink water... wheneevr my kitchen top is wet, they will appear... damn headache..

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

Brock
  • Brock
    5th Gear
    Author Image

From http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html

Getting Rid of Ants

Q. I have a question about ants. We have had a problem with the small, brown ants. We have tried the borax & sugar, and poison, nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• We have 'them, too. About everybody we know does, here in Southern California. We don't like to spray poisons around, so we have to put up with them to some extent, but we have found that they hate baby powder (preferably scented talcum). If you find a trail of them in your house, or some "scouts" looking for food so they can bring the rest of their nest to enjoy it, just sprinkle the baby powder on the ants and wherever they are coming in from, if you can find it, and you will see them begin to get upset. After a while, they'll be gone, and they won't be back again for awhile, even after you remove the powder. We dust baby powder on our honey jar and sugar bowl, as well as the outside of the cats' dish and it keeps the ants off.

• Sounds crazy, but try vinegar! Fill a squirt bottle with plain old cheap white vinegar, and squirt it anyplace you've seen ants (kitchen counters, windowsills, etc) and let it dry. It's non-toxic, won't harm anything, and the smell will go away in just a couple of minutes. It worked for me!

• I have a suggestion for the ant problem; plain old cinnamon. I put in or at the site of the ant invasion, they back off quick!

• Black pepper is a nonlethal, poison free, cheap, and safe way to get rid of ants - sprinkle the black pepper where you see them congregating and watch 'them scatter. Follow them to where they're exiting - which is the same spot they're entering in at - and sprinkle the pepper at that spot to keep them from coming back in. It's safe to use in your cabinets, on windowsills, near your pets and kids, around food, etc.

• I have a book with several tips for the use of apple cider vinegar. One of them is getting rid of ants. Make a mixture of 50/50 water and vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the surface with the solution several times a day. Ants guide themselves with their scent. Vinegar has a natural chemical that alters ants' scent and which ants avoid.

• My husband was in conversation recently with a gentleman in the pest control business. This man preferred to use environmentally safe methods to control pests. His recommendation for ants was: equal parts Windex and Ivory Soap. Simply mix, and spray problem areas.

• Most ant poisons have a sweetness to them that attracts most but not all ants. Some ants are attracted to grease. Observe your ants and see what they like, maybe you need a different bait. Also, though this is sometimes difficult, see if you can trace them back to where they are getting in, because caulking is usually the best solution, as it prevents recurrence.

• I live in south Florida, the bug capital of the world, and I don't use anything toxic in or around my home. I discovered a safe way to get rid of ants. I found Shakley's Basic H. It is a non-toxic soap made from soybeans. I take a pint spray bottle, fill it 1/3 with Basic H and 2/3 with water, mixing gently. Follow your trail of ants to try to discover where they are entering. Spray a thin stream of the mix around where they are coming in. I also spray around my door frames and into any openings where they might enter. Caulking any little holes or openings is also helpful. Please remember this is a SOAP. Do not spray where it will be stepped on and someone will slip. I reapply it as needed. Try to keep it off painted surfaces as it will eventually bubble the paint. You can also put three tablespoons into a Miracle Grow feeder full of water and spray outside around the foundation of your house. It will soak into the soil and get into the nests. Do this once or twice a month until the problem abates. As an added bonus, use the same mixture in your feeder and spray your lawn to keep it flea free. I also keep the little spray bottle handy to spritz any bugs that try to dash in the door when it's open. If it can kill a palmetto bug (roaches that are as big as B-52's), it will kill anything!

• I had a bad problem with them last year and tried everything. Then, I read in a book to place Bay Leaves on your counters and preferably along the trail where they are coming in (if you can find it). It worked. Now I make sure that I keep some behind my canisters, etc. on my countertops.

• We use plain white chalk drawn in a line at the place they come in they wont cross for some reason and also I use comet cleanser sprinkled where children/animals don't go.

• So far this has worked in my house. First you need to find out where they are coming in at. To kill ants that have entered your home without poison I use straight Simple Green. Believe me it works. Then after they are all dead, clean the area and spray the area with a peppermint spray. Fill a spray bottle with water and add approximately 10 - 15 drops of peppermint essential oil , sometimes called Peppermint Spirits. Ants won't cross the area because they hate the smell. Hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Please note this can be dangerous to cats!

•Ants will crawl away from mint. I did this as a science experiment and it worked. Just plant mint all around your house. Especially near doorways.

• A line of cayenne pepper usually stops them from crossing over it.

• Try putting some whole cloves around. I put them on the window sills and door jams and also sprinkled a few around in my bottom cabinets. It worked.

• I recently purchased the book “The Garden Guy – A Seasonal Guide to Organic Gardening in the Desert Southwest” by Dave Owens. Below is quoted information that may help you out. Dave Owens, does the Garden Guy's segments on KTVK (Channel 3) in the metro Phoenix area during Good Morning Arizona. – C.L.

Outdoor Ant Control
Supplies: 1 to 2 gallons water
Stove or barbecue grill
Instructions: Heat water to 160 to 170 degrees. Quietly sneak up to the mounds of ants and pour the boiling water down the hole.
Note: I normally try to do this between 11am and 2 pm.

Indoor Ant Control
Supplies: 1 tbsp. boric acid
1 tbsp. mint jelly or peanut butter
1 cracker
Small cardboard box
Instructions: Mix the boric acid and mint jelly; spread mixture on a cracker. Punch pinholes in a cardboard box; place cracker inside. Place box in an area where ants cause problems, but away from children and pets.
Note: The mint jelly or peanut butter lures the ants in and the boric acid kills them.

Indoor and Outdoor Ant Control
Supplies: Diatomaceous earth
Instructions: Dust food-grade diatomaceous earth along the ant’s pathways.
Note: The white powder will cut through their exoskeleton and they will dehydrate and die.

Indoor and Outdoor Ant Control Supplies:
1 1/2 cup Cream of Wheat
Instructions: Place a dish of Cream of Wheat where the ants can access it.
Note: After they eat it, the cereal expands and the ants will explode.

• Red chili powder !! I've been using it to repel ants for years. Make a paste using a little water, find where the little black pests are coming in and going out and paste the area. you can sprinkle the powder too, but I find adding water makes it more potent. The ants hate the stuff. Brooke and Mary B.

• To trap ants leave an open bottle of maple syrup (cheap stuff is ok) the ants love it and they drown happy. Just make sure you your children and sig. other know about it (LOL). Also I have had luck with the Torro ant poison. It's like a syrup. This they take back to the colony. - Lucy

• Mix borax with sugar water. Place it on the ant trails and where the ants are coming in. It kills any ant that eats the mixture. From CSinbad

• Some mint oil and mint chewing gum help repel ants in a house. placed a stick or open pack of chewing gum on a shelf. Outside you can plant mint around the foundation. It makes a good groundcover and is fragrant when it's stepped on. I hope this helps. Please let me know. - Diana

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There must be a nest somewhere in your house. Find out where they go and destroy it. I suggest you look into something that's made of wood. You have to eliminate almost every ant when you find the nest or else they will try to setup nest elsewhere.

For me I hate bugs and lizards. I hunt them down and terminate their "illegal stay" for good.

For house lizard, my right hand hold the insecticide, other hand hold a rolled up newspaper or magazine. Blind the bugger with the insecticide spray, it will panic and try to escape, best is force it to a corner or somewhere it cannot escape. The best thing is the bugger fell to the floor cos it's when it runs the slowest, whack the bugger with the rolled up newspaper or magazine. RIP mxthxr-fxckxr.
Too much to think about...

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Imagine I stay between 25floor~30floor, en-bloc new building, the only things I bring over from the old place is some clothes and personal stuff like the PC, everything else is new. No bugs, ants of any sort. Dan when neighbours start moving in only all these pests start to appear. Can lizard & ants climb so many floors?

Where the ants in my house come from? My neighbours god damn potted plants have several ant nests in them and they try to migrate to my apartment but failed horribly. Finally my neighbour ask me why I dun have potted plants. I couldn't be more happier and said they attract bugs and I pointed out his had whole lot of ants. He was embarrassed and threw them away.

Most importantly is look for the source of these pests. They reproduced quickly and traps only kill a small % . Find the source and get rid of it once and for all.

Edited by Watwheels, 08 August 2009 - 08:45 AM.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Simplesilver
  • Premium member
    Simplesilver
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Wait till the cockroaches comes running around in your kitchen!! (:

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:00 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I dun cook. My kitchen is for show one. laugh.gif

We have a common rubbish chute out at the corridor. Less chance for them. I dunno whether they can climb so many floors. And it can only be brought in by human beings.

After all it's our sloppiness that we attract so many of such pests.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

Ultramega
  • Ultramega
    6th Gear
    Author Image

There must be a nest somewhere in your house. Find out where they go and destroy it. I suggest you look into something that's made of wood. You have to eliminate almost every ant when you find the nest or else they will try to setup nest elsewhere.

For me I hate bugs and lizards. I hunt them down and terminate their "illegal stay" for good.

For house lizard, my right hand hold the insecticide, other hand hold a rolled up newspaper or magazine. Blind the bugger with the insecticide spray, it will panic and try to escape, best is force it to a corner or somewhere it cannot escape. The best thing is the bugger fell to the floor cos it's when it runs the slowest, whack the bugger with the rolled up newspaper or magazine. RIP mxthxr-fxckxr.

Actually lizards are good to keep. Don't kill them la. They help you eat up the pests.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

Simplesilver
  • Premium member
    Simplesilver
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Actually lizards are good to keep. Don't kill them la. They help you eat up the pests.

Eww shyt. Nice try.......!
I kinda hate them when their tails drop off.
AND WHEN THEY LIKE TO HIDE IN THE TOILET WHEN YOU PEE! No privacy...
Totally disgusted, but surprisingly..., not really scared of them though....

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

Ultramega
  • Ultramega
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Eww shyt. Nice try.......!
I kinda hate them when their tails drop off.
AND WHEN THEY LIKE TO HIDE IN THE TOILET WHEN YOU PEE! No privacy...
Totally disgusted, but surprisingly..., not really scared of them though....

Hahaha. laugh.gif

If you don't ka jiao them their tails won't drop off.

The privacy part, i don't think they stare at you when u pee right? hahaha.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Snowblind
  • Snowblind
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I had ant problem because I used to leave my coffee packet hanging ard. Tried cinnamon...didn't work. Then I tried this insect poison called golden rooster. Its sold at mustafa and ntuc. Quite good. Maybe you can try it. Its sold in small boxes like choco bar....$2 plus.
Dun crash in the rain!!

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Their sh*t on the wall is very difficult to remove and they dun eat ants.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I am trying out the ant powder recently, still waiting to see the results.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

Albeniz
  • Albeniz
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

When the lizards die, they really stink.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

Drive_carcar
  • Drive_carcar
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I strongly recommend you try something like this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000FII3Y2

I got this at one of those DIY shops. Cost me about $49 and seems to work very well. We used to have a serious ants and fruit-flies infestation problem. After installing it, so far I only see one isolated ant, and one isolated fruit fly that was trying to find it's way out of my home. On rainy nights even if we leave the windows ajar, flying insects also won't fly into our house, when in the past they used to be attracted to the lights in the house.

The good thing about such a device is that it scares away cockroaches, lizards, ants, flies, mosquitoes, mouse (I think that's most of our problems). It uses no chemicals, there's no traps to cleanup, no dead insects. So it's perfectly fine and safe especially if you have kids around. It basically emits a high frequency noise which is inaudible to human ears, but supposedly very uncomfortable to pests.

Only thing to be aware is if you have hamsters and guinea pigs as pets, then your beloved pets be rather upset all the time, and the stress will probably make them die younger. And yes, maybe teenagers can hear the sound and find it annoying too.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

Flying_genie
  • Flying_genie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Simply go into any HDB hardware/provision shop. Ask them for ant poison. Each packet shouldn't cost more than $1.50. I bought my supply from Malaysia. They're really cheap, about RM1.00 per packet. Don't bother with the expensive stuff. There are many brands around, most are made in China. The basically work the same way.

Place a little bit of the powder along the path where the ants walk. The ants love the taste of the poison. They'll then carry the stuff back to their nest, where they'll consume the poison. Pretty soon, the entire family (of ants) will be dead! It'll take approximately 2-3 days to see results. Won't see the ants for months thereafter.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Ultramega
  • Ultramega
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Simply go into any HDB hardware/provision shop. Ask them for ant poison. Each packet shouldn't cost more than $1.50. I bought my supply from Malaysia. They're really cheap, about RM1.00 per packet. Don't bother with the expensive stuff. There are many brands around, most are made in China. The basically work the same way.

Place a little bit of the powder along the path where the ants walk. The ants love the taste of the poison. They'll then carry the stuff back to their nest, where they'll consume the poison. Pretty soon, the entire family (of ants) will be dead! It'll take approximately 2-3 days to see results. Won't see the ants for months thereafter.

Be careful where you deploy this kind of powder. Remember to put far far away from food.

My friend's stupid maid put them in the kitchen then one gust of wind come, all the powder disappeared. I later saw some similar looking big grains of powder-like stuff on a cake on the kitchen table.... wah lau don't know is it the ants poison brought there by the wind. Immediately advised my friend to throw the cake away.

It's safer to put them in a small box. Cut 2 holes at the sides for the ants to enter and exit. A few more on top to allow light to enter the box, if you like.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

Ultramega
  • Ultramega
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Deleted - double post.

Edited by Ultramega, 08 August 2009 - 07:43 PM.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Ken_leong
  • Premium member
    Ken_leong
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Dear all,

Ants problem .... black ones. Seems to be getting alot lately.

Any good way to remove them?

Try getting those ant/cockroach baits from NTUC or any supermarket. It is a thin box with a few compartments of crumbs-like powder on them. Pour it on a tissue paper and mix them with some biscuit crumbs with it and put it near the suspected nest or along their tail. The ants and cockroach will sense the biscuits and bring them both back to their nest. This way, you get to wipe out the nest as well.
Best thing is, it cost only $1.20. Better than those other baits that cost 3 or 5 times more.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Black, ants, them, house

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users