The horrible colleague / office politics thread

Ahtong

For me I don't have horrible colleagues because I'm rarely in the office anyway. In fact I'm most well know for my absence in the office.

However I have horrible customers. And I have also seen my fair share of people politicking in the office. Sometimes I really wonder what for? Score points? Win influence?

Putting things into perspective, winning influence counts for nothing if the pay doesn't commensurate with one's influence. Scoring points count for nothing if your own boss job is also under threat. Being the top of the pecking order is pointless if company is about to close down.

↡ Advertisement

For me I don't have horrible colleagues because I'm rarely in the office anyway. In fact I'm most well know for my absence in the office.

However I have horrible customers. And I have also seen my fair share of people politicking in the office. Sometimes I really wonder what for? Score points? Win influence?

Putting things into perspective, winning influence counts for nothing if the pay doesn't commensurate with one's influence. Scoring points count for nothing if your own boss job is also under threat. Being the top of the pecking order is pointless if company is about to close down.

same same. . . thats why i dun't stay in office long. . . usually i cooked up an excuse to siam from office. . .

when there are poeple, there will be politics. There are politics even amongs the children in childcare, not to mentioned in the office... if you wanna survive, u got to learn how is the game is played.

Can anyone share stories of the most horrible colleagues you have met?

My office is still ok but how do you handle tai chi masters, backstabbers, hot air balloons, prima donnas, blur sotongs and other difficult people at work?

Play SoccerManager online lor. . . . where got time for these people? [lipsrsealed]

I got a team to manage you know [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Yes of course have politics everywhere! My car kena accident ask for urgent leave kena reject... NB....

Another colleague go buy movie ticket take leave than can... KNN

That is because the colleague is a ger.. and my boss tiko

Play SoccerManager online lor. . . . where got time for these people? [lipsrsealed]

I got a team to manage you know [thumbsup]

that is hard work bro. . . [sweatdrop]

talk to your towkay bout the 80m. . . [laugh] [laugh]

Yes of course have politics everywhere! My car kena accident ask for urgent leave kena reject... NB....

Another colleague go buy movie ticket take leave than can... KNN

That is because the colleague is a ger.. and my boss tiko

u complain?? wait u work for an old lady den u know.... wanna take leave, u need to take off ur pants [laugh][laugh]

so does any1 company's management is jealous tt u progress and promote so fast in ur company tt they object to ur pay raise n promotion? Then keep find trouble with u?? If u do face it wad do u do?? Everything is based on own's hardwork n no carry balls... Even the HR also complaining...

Edited by Guniang

Wonder anyone here from the biggest local bank's CBG? Have been in the banking industry for 7 yrs, and this current management is the worst I ever experience. One senior management say cannot do this else you will be punished, the other senior management says you must do this else you will be punished. They even set up a committee to issue Disciplinary Actions (DA) to staffs who make mistakes at work. Any mistakes will lead to a DA be issued. And once you have the first DA, you will not be eligible for promotion the next 12 mths. And if you get the second one, you better start looking for a job, becus you will be fired if the third one comes your way. Currently, 75% of my office population have at least 1 DA.

Currently, there is a joke going around now. Anyone whom has no DA so far, there are only 2 possibilities. Either you have connection to the top management, or you are simply not working, because the more you work, the highest chance of you making a mistake.

Even the HR colleague told me that they are so busy not because of recruitment or HR matters, but to run around Singapore to meet staffs from different offices to issue them with DAs.

I think if anyone of you whom have a friend, or from the local bank CBG dept, you will probably able to verify what is going on in there.

usually pple do not admit or dun even know that they r involve in office politics [sweatdrop] .exp;i was sitting in a coffee shop overheard this man was telling his colleague all the bad things about his other colleagues in the office during his whole meal,and sounded very bad [knife] .then his last statment really makes me wonder,he said"i hate politics and i dun like pple talking behind my back,and i prefer to keep a low profile [confused][confused] "and believe me,the way he speaks and talk doesnt seems to me he is a low profile person.

Neutral Newbie

Can anyone share stories of the most horrible colleagues you have met?

My office is still ok but how do you handle tai chi masters, backstabbers, hot air balloons, prima donnas, blur sotongs and other difficult people at work?

know them before they know you [:p]

usually pple do not admit or dun even know that they r involve in office politics [sweatdrop] .exp;i was sitting in a coffee shop overheard this man was telling his colleague all the bad things about his other colleagues in the office during his whole meal,and sounded very bad [knife] .then his last statment really makes me wonder,he said"i hate politics and i dun like pple talking behind my back,and i prefer to keep a low profile [confused][confused] "and believe me,the way he speaks and talk doesnt seems to me he is a low profile person.

Seriously, that sounds like me, bro..... my situation is as follows: maybe my personal character itself is not really low profile but i really got no desire to play all these politics nonsense.... however when suddenly my name is dragged, i really wanna let out the anger with a confidant.... maybe that guy u overheard is in same predicament.....

Wonder anyone here from the biggest local bank's CBG? Have been in the banking industry for 7 yrs, and this current management is the worst I ever experience. One senior management say cannot do this else you will be punished, the other senior management says you must do this else you will be punished. They even set up a committee to issue Disciplinary Actions (DA) to staffs who make mistakes at work. Any mistakes will lead to a DA be issued. And once you have the first DA, you will not be eligible for promotion the next 12 mths. And if you get the second one, you better start looking for a job, becus you will be fired if the third one comes your way. Currently, 75% of my office population have at least 1 DA.

Currently, there is a joke going around now. Anyone whom has no DA so far, there are only 2 possibilities. Either you have connection to the top management, or you are simply not working, because the more you work, the highest chance of you making a mistake.

Even the HR colleague told me that they are so busy not because of recruitment or HR matters, but to run around Singapore to meet staffs from different offices to issue them with DAs.

I think if anyone of you whom have a friend, or from the local bank CBG dept, you will probably able to verify what is going on in there.

hahaha.... reminds me of my ex company.... they came out with some demerit point system. Those who come late, minus 0.5point each time, those who disobey the instruction demerit 5 points, improper attire demerit 3 points and blaa... blaa... blaa... All points will be review and included into the yearly appraisal and will affect the promotion / increament review.

i saw the new policies and raise out my voice and say "cannot like that lah, or else we will loss our whole management team very soon!!!" everyone look at me and i continue " heng ahh... no demerit point for being sarcastic"

everyone laugh and HR quickly add 2 more clause, a) these policies will only applicable to manager level and below, b) Critisism to the company policy will receive a 10 demerit point. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop] . Luckily i was under probation, dun need to suffer with all those stupid policy

Edited by Tigershark1976

So in their new job, they can point out how many DAs they got before kena fired [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

my side got no politics as we are so well paid from the stock options that nobody really bother about err... back stabbing...

I mean the increment is like peanuts compared to the options.....

but now it is so dead that I am changing jobs.... looking for a more exciting place.

luckily wiping tables got no politics, only got gravy, chili , soup and sometimes saliva.

Are you sure bro?

Saw 2 clearners fighting at a hawker centre in Serangoon Garden (not Chomp Chomp..the other one) during lunch yesterday.

Life can be tough for them too [cool]

↡ Advertisement