Local Singaporean speaking with fake fake angmoh accent

Thargor

Hehe there is this ex colleague that lovesssss to speak in fake accent....and the thing is it sounded so damn fake and in his pathetic attempt to sound angmohish....maybe the pitch is wrong or what and he will end up muttering.....

Hehe....I actually told him off before..."Do you mind speaking in proper English?"

The expression from his face....priceless....

↡ Advertisement

The funny thing is that only East Asians try to fake an angmo accent. The Italians, Greeks, Lebanese and Africans don't seem to care. The worst are actually PRCs. I ever interviewed this woman who kept speaking English, probably to prove a point. Problem is her English sucks and when mixed with a fake accent, it was incomprehensible.

These reminds me of an incident at the airport in Taiwan. Anyway there this chinese guy, giving a hard time to the check in counter girl. Al the while he is trying to speak broken english to her. When her supervisor realised that hes english cmi, tells him to explain in chinese. But he refused, and insist that they communicate in english.

Many are trying hard to look ang mo pai. But seriously speaking, it sucks to the bottom.

Fake and still an asian.

Proper english can still sound nice.

Who said accented english is nice??!! [furious]

i think many do that simply to think that they can blend in and mix around well with e caucasians. but fail to realise that no matter how hard they try, in e eyes of e caucasians, we sound just like them trying to speak chinese. awful!

Which is a weird thing to do really!

I am in the Global team which means I worked with practice leaders from all countries all over the world....

And they all speaking in different accents....the germans speaks differently...so do the Americans, the Brits, the Aussie, the Latin Americans, France, Middle East, Western Europeans, Greater China folks, Japan, Canadian....

Hehe...maybe those Singaporeans think that Angmoh all speak the same.....duh

sometimes i do put on an accent when speaking to foreigners, angmo or not....like when i speak to PRC i will try to mimic their accent, ditto for angmo. It makes it easier for them to understand u.

Heck, sometimes when speaking to my malay friends, i will even mimic their malay accent lol....it helps communication when ppl can identify with u. That's provided your mimicry is accurate!

These reminds me of an incident at the airport in Taiwan. Anyway there this chinese guy, giving a hard time to the check in counter girl. Al the while he is trying to speak broken english to her. When her supervisor realised that hes english cmi, tells him to explain in chinese. But he refused, and insist that they communicate in english.

Hehe why trying to speak angmohish like Ender Wiggin when he is not angmoh right?

[laugh] Agree on that! When i tok to ang mors, i will just talk normally. I buey tahan those who fake accents.

Some of my friends who studied for a few years abroad came back with ang mor accents and that, to me is still acceptable.

Hehe there is this ex colleague that lovesssss to speak in fake accent....and the thing is it sounded so damn fake and in his pathetic attempt to sound angmohish....maybe the pitch is wrong or what and he will end up muttering.....

Hehe....I actually told him off before..."Do you mind speaking in proper English?"

The expression from his face....priceless....

Haha, reminds me of a certain friend among a particular group I used to hang out with often in my teens. This particular guy put on a fake accent and it was so strong and so fake. Actually there was nothing else wrong with him, he was quite a nice guy except for this (and that's why we knew him well enough to know he never studied or lived abroad). We tolerated out of politeness for quite some time, but one day one of my friends, a very straight-talking kind of guy, suddenly burst out "eh f* u, don't slang lah"! Thankfully this incident never caused any harm to our friendship and to my surprise he spoke with a completely Singaporean accent from then on!

[laugh] Agree on that! When i tok to ang mors, i will just talk normally. I buey tahan those who fake accents.

Some of my friends who studied for a few years abroad came back with ang mor accents and that, to me is still acceptable.

Actually I respect a lot of the MPs when it comes to public speaking. Quite a number of them had spent lengthy years overseas for studies and they still do not speak with accents.

I had friends who spent like 3 yrs overseas and came back speaking accented angmoh....honestly I find it fake.

bee gee neee!

Somehow I think girls are more guilty of trying to impress with their fake accents.. at least from what I've seen.

Now that you had mentioned. Yes, I realised most of the time its the ladies that does that.. I can only remember one male fren of mine who does that [whip]

i admit i am one of those who inadvertantly speak with an ang mor ascent when speaking to one. somehow i expect him not to be able to understand me with my singlish, and he talk so fast while i so slow. thats why.

I got a friend whom went to study in UK and came back with a Scottish accent and we could never make him stop despite telling him straight in the face to lose the accent! He will get annoyed or change topic.

How come someone living in Singapore for 20+yrs speak a typical Singapore accent pick up a Scottish accent in 4yrs there and never able to switch back?

[confused]

4 yrs is not a short period that one can get used to the accent, especially when he just return home. give him 3-6 months talking with all the 'lor' and 'lah', he will switch back soon.

i admit i am one of those who inadvertantly speak with an ang mor ascent when speaking to one. somehow i expect him not to be able to understand me with my singlish, and he talk so fast while i so slow. thats why.

Hehe for me I bochap one...I will just make sure I speak proper english...proper sentence construction and correct grammer....hehe if he/she cannot understand...then I will just say, "thank you for the discussion, I will recap the main points later with an email and list out all the follow-up actions".

that's why some ang moh thinks singapore is part of mainland china too! hahaha

i've been through e same situation. and it's e aussie who told me that they rather hear someone speak english comfortably, than to hear someone trying so hard to sound like them and have their ears suffered. 'cos one of our friends was irritating people with his "gu die, might!", my aussie friend couldn't stop laughing. embarassed our whole lot. <_<

↡ Advertisement