Local Singaporean speaking with fake fake angmoh accent

Thargor

one example being, i spoke to an englishman (from England of cos), he told me "... i will check out the lalabai... " . So I was confused and I asked him, sorry what is lalabai ? (cannot be lao chee bye right ?) , then he said, is "DATABASE" ! see ? :blink:

one example being, i spoke to an englishman (from England of cos), he told me "... i will check out the lalabai... " . So I was confused and I asked him, sorry what is lalabai ? (cannot be lao chee bye right ?) , then he said, is "DATABASE" ! see ? :blink:

hmmm...how database be spoken as lalabai....

Actually everybody speaks English with an accent and just because it is coming out an angmo's mouth doesn't mean it is standard.

Scots, Scouse and Geordie accents are incomprehensible. Cockney accent sounds like bengish. Every non-english European have their own particular weird slang.

So no accent is superior imo. The key is to speak clearly and coherently.

Haha, reminds me of a certain friend among a particular group I used to hang out with often in my teens. This particular guy put on a fake accent and it was so strong and so fake. Actually there was nothing else wrong with him, he was quite a nice guy except for this (and that's why we knew him well enough to know he never studied or lived abroad). We tolerated out of politeness for quite some time, but one day one of my friends, a very straight-talking kind of guy, suddenly burst out "eh f* u, don't slang lah"! Thankfully this incident never caused any harm to our friendship and to my surprise he spoke with a completely Singaporean accent from then on!

do not under-estimate the influence of tv program, movie and music where youngster can pick up easily without noticing, even more so if the surrounding friends are behaving the same way. this can happen even if they have not been abroad. to them they don't find it fake as the environment let them speak that way.

Hehe one trick i learn...if the slang is too bad and i cant understand...and I happen to on be phonecall with that guy/girl....

I willl say..."Sorry I think the line is breaking up, do you mind repeating that?"

If they still slang......"Sorry but the line is bad, do you mind sending me an email on your concerns instead?"

Hehe dont wanna speak properly..nevermind...waste your time writing email loh...

Hehe one trick i learn...if the slang is too bad and i cant understand...and I happen to on be phonecall with that guy/girl....

I willl say..."Sorry I think the line is breaking up, do you mind repeating that?"

If they still slang......"Sorry but the line is bad, do you mind sending me an email on your concerns instead?"

Hehe dont wanna speak properly..nevermind...waste your time writing email loh...

Haha! This is what I do also. Problem is mine are genuine non-English speakers so their e-mails can be incomprehensible too. But at least I can take my time to decipher it.

Edited by Ahtong

Sometimes, it is not that they want to fake an accent but more like subconsciously, they are trying to close a "perceived" gap and inadvertently come across as faking their accent but are actually more worried that the other party cannot understand their usual accent.

I have got friends/ colleagues who are like this but they "let go" of the accent when they speak to non-Caucasians. This was explained to me by an acquaintance linguist.

For me, it depends, I will do Singlish if they are arrogant.

I find it quite a turnoff actually. As I am working in a global MCS, I have more than my fair share of encountering Singaporeans that speaks normally to you...but the moment they speak with angmoh...goosh the accents become sooo fake. If they speak with a genuine accent, maybe I can still understand....but fake accents like that....

Hehe chatted with a few angmohs about this...they felt quite funny when they hear a singaporean trying to sound angmohish....the more playful ones will answer back with a singlish accents....

Gross out.... [thumbsdown]

i m not sure about your colleagues who are "faking" angmo accent, but to me, i DO try to speak in their accent to make myself more understood. This is not just for europeans or americans, but also to my friends in Vietnam, in their local accent.

Sometimes, it is not that they want to fake an accent but more like subconsciously, they are trying to close a "perceived" gap and inadvertently come across as faking their accent but are actually more worried that the other party cannot understand their usual accent.

exactly what i was trying to explain, it's more for communication's sake.

How come nobody lambasts those people who put on a fake malay accent when talking to malays or those who put on a fake indian accent when talking to indians, or those who put on a fake Beijing accent when talking to PRCs?

There's obviously a serious colonial chip on the shoulder of many singaporeans. I put on an accent when i'm worried they don't understand me, this doesn't mean they're superior, it means i'm linguistically superior, i can understand their accent, but they can't understand mine LOL

I have got friends/ colleagues who are like this but they "let go" of the accent when they speak to non-Caucasians. This was explained to me by an acquaintance linguist.

For me, it depends, I will do Singlish if they are arrogant.

The funny thing is you don't or hardly see angmoh doing the same thing to us, unless they are trying to be funny...

So the conclusion is...angmoh dont care about closing a 'perceived' gap...OR some singaporeans are just too lack of confidence....

for those who try to put on fake accent when speaking to ang moh...... it means you have not spoken to enough ang moh to know.....

our singapore accent, minus the singlish, is actually quite clear and very understandable to most yanks, brits, aussie, kiwis etc..... stick to that and you will do no wrong...

How come nobody lambasts those people who put on a fake malay accent when talking to malays or those who put on a fake indian accent when talking to indians, or those who put on a fake Beijing accent when talking to PRCs?

Now that you mention it, I had lots of Indian friends when living back in Singapore, and I've had people tell me I speak with a bit of an Indian accent, even till today! Especially when I try to speak grammatically correct English (not Singlish). Of course this is very slight and nowhere as obvious as a fake American accent.

It's funny when ang moh tries to speak mandarin, nobody will comment about the accent they have or how poorly they pronounced some characters or laugh at them. In fact ppl here applause when ang moh get it right. Talk about ang moh standards.

So the conclusion is...angmoh dont care about closing a 'perceived' gap..

western society is like that, they're very self-centred. Subconsciously, they don't give a damm whether u understand them or not. It's just that as asians, we're very considerate (or at least on a subconscious level), so we even bother. It's our virtue, it's their loss.

But i've met a rare few angmo living here who bother learning Singlish :)

It's one thing to have Singapore accent, but that's no excuse for poor English, poor pronunciation, and outright poor grammar. It's one thing that I really can't stand.

I have heard more than my fair share of "Nows-a-days" as well as sentences that are literal direct translation from the Chinese language. It's one thing that hampers our compeitiveness. If you want to make it in life, one very important factor is being able to speak good English - without the fake "ang-moh" accent.

our singapore accent, minus the singlish, is actually quite clear and very understandable to most yanks, brits, aussie, kiwis etc..... stick to that and you will do no wrong...

hmmm....i would think Singaporeans actually speak too fast....

↡ Advertisement