Wedding dinner at expensive hotels

Vextan

Do you all find more and more couples holding their wedding dinner at posh hotels ? I have 3 invitations to wedding dinners coming up, in Marriot Hotel, Grand Hyatt Hotel and Oriental Mandarin Hotel. First half of the year already went to one in Sentosa and another in M Hotel. Goodness me these hotels dont charge cheap hor, per table easily $1300 nett. Why nowadays couples tying the knot are so well off, or do they not mind if they cannot break even ? Is wedding dinner so important in determining how blissful a marriage is ?

Edited by Vextan
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Do you all find more and more couples holding their wedding dinner at posh hotels ? I have 3 invitations to wedding dinners coming up, in Marriot Hotel, Grand Hyatt Hotel and Oriental Mandarin Hotel. First half of the year already went to one in Sentosa and another in M Hotel. Goodness me these hotels dont charge cheap hor, per table easily $1300 nett. Why nowadays couples tying the knot are so well off, or do they not mind if they cannot break even ? Is wedding dinner so important in determining how blissful a marriage is ?

i am not married yet and not planning to get married soon but i really dun think wedding dinner determines a blissful marriage... i think no matter where you have your wedding diner.. its really the "feel" of the diner.. you know how you can attend diners and feel that its quite fake... like everything is so according to plan but there are some which is not so "posh" and you feel that its very real and you can feel the couple's love for each other.

• Praise 3

actually .... because of recession ... the hotels are charging much cheaper nowadays

but ppl still give big big hong baos, thinking it is 2006/07 boom times rates

• Praise 3

Well, the rich are getting richer and the gap between rich & poor is getting larger by the day! Very soon, the rich can get away with murder whilst the poor get thrown into jail just for speeding...

In any case, yes. Many of these couples marry to increase their wealth. When 2 rich families join forces, their assets are doubled. The hubby may drive a Porsche, while the wifey may drive a BMW. Now, each can drive either car. Reason enough to get married? Sure, why the hell not?!

• Praise 2

I find that if you hold in a 5star hotel the ang baos you collect from your colleagues are usually bigger.

At least I bao my ang bao accordingly to where the dinner is held, less if it is in a resturant.

• Praise 2

beside the wedding dinner itself, there is the make up artiste, photographer, honeymoon, photo album taking etc to pay. plus if move in to new home, renovation and furnishing. so why do youngsters still go for lavish dinner ?

I find that if you hold in a 5star hotel the ang baos you collect from your colleagues are usually bigger.

At least I bao my ang bao accordingly to where the dinner is held, less if it is in a resturant.

a table cost about $1200 to $1300 nett in a posh hotel in orchard road. if i am not wrong most guest give ang bao of $100 these days, so one table total is $1000, still short of $200 to $300 to break even. not to mention there is the photographer, make up artist and cockage fee to pay. How to make money , or break even ?

Edited by Vextan

im ok with that, they just want the whole process to be presentable and a unforgetable one. my brother is planning to hold it on a cruise [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 2

Err.. these hotels i not considered as posh lah...

Ritz Carlton, Fullerton, Raffles, Shangri'la... yeah [sweatdrop]

for the sake of face value...nowadays many young married couples take loan for wedding dinner, loan for house reno, loan for car,etc....after married, slog like hell to pay off......sometimes I noticed friends are invited for the sake of making up the numbers, marriage is a very personal event, not a circus show....

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Actually, not really. If you do compare the rates now to last year or two years back, it is still more expensive. Regardless of economy, people still have to get married and find an affordable venue but too bad most venues are really not THAT affordable in our eyes.

• Praise 1

not true, i bao according to my relationship with the bride/groom. if very close and even just held in void deck, i will bao alot.

• Praise 2

Four Seasons ... voted best 6 star hotel in Asia

Err.. these hotels i not considered as posh lah...

Ritz Carlton, Fullerton, Raffles, Shangri'la... yeah [sweatdrop]

not true, i bao according to my relationship with the bride/groom. if very close and even just held in void deck, i will bao alot.

i agree with u on this.

standard $100 per person (my family of 4) no matter where the place.

if my niece, i give $200 per pax

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2