Good bosses vs bad bosses...your experience?

Thargor

I had a boss who was trying to impress the overseas staff very much that every things he would volunteer his Singapore office to source. Even to the point that Singapore could re-negotiate on the pricing and other terms.

The Singapore office here would be at a disadvantage that the overseas office would not support us by giving us the B.O.M and detailed technical drawings. Instead we had to get it from the contractors. The Singapore office was supposed to be the SCM.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

A vagina is an asset that can enhance your career.

A penis is a liability with regards to NS, reservist and your employ-ability.

Depend la. If a lady is monstrous size than a man and look ugly, she will not have advantage from her asset, right?

There is this lady boss that happenned to be promoted to become a manager (divocree) at 40, following yr promoted again as Snr manager and another yr again as Director. MD alway side her (his mistress?) even though lot of other directors are not in good term with this lady. Before getting her part time degree, she is only an executive / secretary for the past 20yrs. After she become the boss, she scold everyone. 100% of her staff has been lectured by her. Some even cry when walking out from her office. She make a lot of staff resign by their own will by tekan until they cannot take it. During her service period, more than 60 staff has left the company in half year time. Take note that this company has good benefit, Annual leave at minmium is 21 days hor, an iron rice bowl company. Nobody are willing to leave such company unless being force to. Because of this, she is questioned by the external auditor but she know how to wrigger her way out. She have even managed to force a pregnant lstaff to tender in advance as she can't contribute to the company during her maternity period. So the lady have to leave the company and rejoin the company after giving birth without the 3 mth maternity benefit during that time. Let me share with you all on how rediculous this lady boss is. For example, she request her employee to do this. After that when the employee executed that, she will scold her employee on how come the employee do that. If you debate with her, you will screw even worst and get condemned. Everyone has been screwed by her in this manner. Nobody is confident in carring out their duty as this boss might later come back to them on why they didnt follow her order. Do you think the lady boss is SIAO?

premature menopausal

Neutral Newbie

You are doing sales har? I had a few sales friends that need to do that lol cos boss want to make sure the sales is really doing their jobs insead of eating snake..

Ya... so micro till I can't breathe. Eat snake or not month end will know mah. See result know liao [:p]

• Praise 1

I think people's mindset now is what the compnay has to offer, rather than what he/she can offer to the company.

As some has correctly pointed out, good/bad bosses is rather subjective and varies from person to person.

Bosses who laugh with you may stab you behind your back without your knowledge, whist those who do not laugh with you mean you no harm... I have learnt it the hard way, so I know.

• Praise 3

I respect this boss but in another way, after getting rich, fame is the next step.

It's like advertisement but at least those who benefits are those who work hard for him.

Still, well done and respectful

• Praise 1

I respect this boss but in another way, after getting rich, fame is the next step.

It's like advertisement but at least those who benefits are those who work hard for him.

Still, well done and respectful

I'm usually a cynical person, but in this case, I don't think he did it for fame.

The largest amount given out is 40K~ (according to one of the news reports), and it's not to a single person. If fame was the only thing he was after, he didn't need to give such a big amount, and it was out of his own pocket, not the company's pocket. (Granted, he sold off his shares for about 140M. Still... It was his own money.)

Maybe if we see more of what he does (in future, if for publicity sake) then I'll change my mind on that.

I think people's mindset now is what the compnay has to offer, rather than what he/she can offer to the company.

As some has correctly pointed out, good/bad bosses is rather subjective and varies from person to person.

Bosses who laugh with you may stab you behind your back without your knowledge, whist those who do not laugh with you mean you no harm... I have learnt it the hard way, so I know.

That's my mindset.  :D 

Your mindset is what you can offer the company and

not what the company can offer you?

Then I have a job for you, please come and apply.

Low pay, long hours, abuse of power from me,

blame you for all my mistakes and take credit for

all your good work. Lousy bonus and no chance of promotion.

Thank goodness I found you. No one else wants this job 

as you correctly pointed out people's mindset now is what the compnay has to offer, rather than what he/she can offer to the company.

I am just so glad you do not have this kind of mindset. Or maybe you do

and just pretending to be something you are not. Nothing I like better

than people who feel superior to other people but actually its just all

in their own mind. Anyway I would like to give you the doubt of your benefit.

:D  

I almost forgot bad bosses are not subjective.

Everyone calls me a bad boss and no one has disagreed.

If it was subjective then someone would disagree, 

even I don't disagree with what everyone is saying.

So its not subjective at all in my case.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 11

Good boss bad boss?

我做人很简单的 。。。so long every year give me increment and bonus, every month give me salary on time 就是 good boss 了

• Praise 1

If you are a bad boss but can pay, tolerable.

If you are a good boss but cannot pay, maybe can tahan a few years.

If you are a bad boss and cannot pay, fxxk you.

If you are a good boss and can pay, noone will leave you.

So do your homework. [laugh]

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 2

During my employment years, I never had any bad bosses, and I did have quite a number of bosses from SME to MNCs. From foreigner to local. From men to women.

I guess it is a matter of perception. Every boss has their own style and I just look at it as a way to learn and adapt. As long they are respectful , they are all good to me. There is no learning if one is under a boss whose style is something that one is always very comfortable with.

One thing though, I  have never equate increment & bonuses with good bosses or bad bosses. Actually I have never really think about increment or bonuses. I just think if I have done well, I trust the boss that the increment will be there, if there isn't, then perhaps I didn't do well enough and I need to strive harder. However,  I value the ability to learn from bosses more important than the increment part, because afterall, salary is always dynamic, but knowledge is permanent.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 4

Almost everyone has something bad to say about his boss.

I think employees need to analyze their bosses' behavior instead of superimposing what they perceive as a good boss behavior on their superiors. Each has his own agenda to achieve and while the agendas do not overlap for the most part it is always in the best interest for both parties to be aware of each others' needs.

Simply said: don't be selfish and blame and bitch about your boss just because you did not get the promotion or raise you THINK you deserve.

Now let me express what I've personally experienced and term as a bad boss behavior. My boss is almost always late for meetings he calls for. At times, he would totally skip the meeting he called for at the last minute. This displays a total disrespect for other people's times and that is what I term a bad boss behavior.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8