Should I Renew COE Now?

Vinceng

Should I Renew COE Now?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Renew COE Now?

• Renew COE now at $13,500
    • Wait until next year and see how
    • Wait until near Oct 2011 when my COE is expiring

I am now in a delima whether to renew Category A COE for my October 2001 Lancer, which has 2 more years to go.

With COE quota expected to be cut further, I am fearful that Cat A COE prices may exceed $20,000 or even $30,000.

I regret not renewing COE in April at only $3800.

I thought the economy was getting worse and since I had almost 3 years to go before my COE expired, I could afford to wait.

Now, only 5 months later, I have to pay an extra $10,000 to renew my COE.

So please give me your honest opinion whether I should renew my COE now or wait until next year to see how?

Reason? Why?

Do you foresee COE prices rising further above $20,000 or hovering around $15,000?

I am confirmed renewing my COE.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

if there is less supply, i do believe coe is going to cost more.

vince do you know if coe is up, can one change to red plate instead of renewing?

• Praise 1

continue to drive till the date near to the COE expiry date then decide. Why ?

1) If now renew, you loss the remaining 3 yrs of your existing COE

2) If 2-3 yrs later COE about the same... you sure hard pain for giving up your 3 yrs COE

3) are you sure you willing to drive your car for the next 10 yrs ? You see everyones change cars.. your backside itchy how ? Worst if you change car say 12 yrs old (5yrs from now), you loss your scrape value... (no more rebate from Govt). Maybe 2nd hand dealer give you $300 to $1000 for the body

4) If 5yrs later, COE like now

• Praise 1

to renew your ceo or not, you need to ask yourself a few question;

1) condition of the car. Can it last another 10 yrs?

2) the scrap value of the car. PARF + remaining COE.

3) Current value of Lancer (in this case, u should take GLX instead of EX to compare cos thats closer to your current ride)

4) the current COE price.

with the info above, compare it yourself... from my estimation... i believe the better way should be sell your old car, and get a new one instead of renewing the COE... you pay a few thousands more to get a new car... instead of a few thousand less and stuck with an old lancer...

Edited by Tigershark1976

My mileage is only 10,000kma year, so it is worth renewing and I am the first owner.

I am not the kind to change car often and I intend to use this car till it cannot last any longer.

So far it has never broken down at all and no problem mechanically.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/corp_info/doc/COE_Result_2005_2009.pdf

Looking at the past COE prices since 2005, it never seemed to past $18,000.

So is it worth to renew now at $13,500, with my car COE left 2 more years to go.

Edited by Vinceng

with the expected reduced in COE supply...the COE bid is expected to go up....hence PQP...

and with the economy supposingly picking up.......demand will still be there or even increase...coz pple making killing at recent bull run.

so if your car is still [thumbsup] pls go ahead....and save yourself some $$$

• Praise 1

hi, if I will to renew for the COE,these are question I would ask myself -

1.Have the installment of the car being fully paid before the current lifespan of vehicle ends ?

2.What is the cost of dep (eg scape value+ coe now to end of 10yrs)

3.Do you maintain the veh well ( for me scv every 6mth)

I would expect the COE PQP to increase to 15k next mth and end of the year 17k.. cause PQP is peg on 3 mths average and new car COE is going up.. Dont think that tis year cny price will drop. .. For TS , think that you just need a transport for to and fro

• Praise 1

I expect COE prices to go up, but by how much?

$15K to $20K level, or above $20K level?

I just feel it is very wasted to forgo the remaining $6K of my pro rated existing COE value.

It looks like you really like your car alot & would like to keep it.

In this case, renewing might be a good choice.

For the next 1 year (as far as i can see), unless something drastic happens to the world economy, I don't see any reason for COE to drop drastically to the level early part of this year.

However, if u want to wait till it expires, then its a gamble. 2 years is too far ahead to predict anything nowadays.

Edited by Rickster

My Current paper value now is $23,400.

Rickster, not that I "like" my car a lot, but rather a budget constrain that I need to continue using it.

If I renew COE now, it adds up to paper value $23,400 + COE prevailing quota premium $13,500 = $36,900.

Where can I get a guaranteed good condition used 1600cc Japanese car to use for the next 10 years at an annual depreciation of $3,690?

As I have owned this car from new, I know its condition well.

But I am still considering whether to renew COE.

By this Wednesday, I must make a decision.

Otherwise next month, the prevailing quota premium will go up by another $2,000.

Do you think COE quota will be increased in 2011 when the current batch of $18,444 COE renewals car owners (when COE fell to $101 in JUne 2001) scrap their old cars?

Edited by Vinceng

If I am you, I will scrap the car, get the $23K+ rebate (consider high rebate) and move on. There are many 2yrs to 3 yrs old Lancer GLX selling at $30K+ @ $3K+ depreciation. Many of these lancer died hard owners, cannot tahan the GLX dated look and trade-in for a Lancer EX. Just need to be hardworking a bit and look around, everyday can see many of such cars in ST classified and sgcarmart and many are in good condition and with warranty. Singaporeans like to buy new things and don't mind losing $.

It's only worth to renew a COE car when in those days a Jap/kor cars cost $70K, does not make sense when Govt reduce car import taxes etc with much lower car prices, unless due to sentimental or collector cars, eg a Toyota Sera etc.

Btw, a friend of mine just bought a 3 yrs old Civic 1.8 at $50K and is trying to sell his 4 yrs old Kia Cerato OPC car at $13K. At the end of 10 yrs, still can get back $5.5K effectively, losing $1K+ per year depreciation. The car is in perfect condition and I am still thinking whether to buy it over and just park it at my car park as I have another car for use. Not all used cars are lemon, just need to be hardworking and start looking around, else suggest you just drive it till the 10th yr mark.

Edited by Amazon777

If you decide to renew COE now, what is your actual cost?

1) PQP value = $15k

2) Lost of scrap value = $12k (assuming your parf value is 130% of OMV)

3) Lost in value of your existing COE(2 yrs) = $5k (assuming your COE was 25k)

Total cost = $32k to drive your Lancer for the next 10yrs.

New car price for Forte is 50k, Avante is 49k, Lancer GLX is 53k. Frankly speaking your saving is <50% if you decide to renew COE for your Lancer. Since you have already missed the boat for the lowest COE, my advise is to wait and see or change to a new car.

wait for 2 years. now price high because previously lesser people deregistered their cars. 2 years later should be ok. i also wanna renew. i still got 5 years more. i love my pig karp. it is like driving in god mode.

If COE prices remain constant at current level in 2011, it would be ideal.

But what if it rises above $20K, possibly $30K, then I'd be paying much more to renew.

Tough decision to make.

↡ Advertisement