Is tower electric fan good?

Rainbow

I am using the box-type fans in my house as they are very cheap. However, their angle they can reach is quite narrow, and the wind can't quite reach the taller places (e.g. baby cot).

I thinking of either the old-style floor standing fan, or the more modern tower fan. The latter is more modern looking, and seems safer with kids. But I wonder if they are worth the extra $. Grateful for your advice. Any good place to get fan cheaply?

↡ Advertisement

Why not get those wall mount type?? I am currently using a wall mount KDK type, quite stong and can reach may spots in my room. If the blades were the metal type wind would be better.

hi Ghostami, thanks for suggesting. My concern is the wall-mounted type can't be shifted ard when need to. More importantly, I don't have the skills and tools to install it. [sweatdrop]

You can get those "air circulators". Just put one near the target, the area will feel windy. Don't really need to aim it at the target. Solves your height/angle problem.

Edited by Ultramega

I have 3 tower fans in my house of different brands and they are quite all right. I learnt from my experience that we do have to get those of more reputable ones like KDK which for more than 10 yrs, has not given me any problem. [thumbsup]

I'll prefer those with remote control though it's more ex but I do not want to get up in the middle of the night to switch on/off it. [lipsrsealed]

is it easy to clean tower fan?

i always have the impression that tower fan has a narrow vertical wind projection...

Edited by Babyt

I am using the box-type fans in my house as they are very cheap. However, their angle they can reach is quite narrow, and the wind can't quite reach the taller places (e.g. baby cot).

I thinking of either the old-style floor standing fan, or the more modern tower fan. The latter is more modern looking, and seems safer with kids. But I wonder if they are worth the extra $. Grateful for your advice. Any good place to get fan cheaply?

5 year ago i buy a tower fan for $150 at best denki. very lousy... no power , i go ntuc or gain city buy those akira or powerpac stand fan, $20+ only, so powerful!! dont buy tower fan!! sure regret!!

hi Ghostami, thanks for suggesting. My concern is the wall-mounted type can't be shifted ard when need to. More importantly, I don't have the skills and tools to install it. [sweatdrop]

You just have to mount at the right spot that can circulate around the room, so far mine has been working 3 years plus with regular cleanning and lube, no problem and wind is strong as ever.

I tried before quite alot of fans before, so far this one is the most durable and best wind speed.

is it easy to clean tower fan?

i always have the impression that tower fan has a narrow vertical wind projection...

Yes. Standing or table fan can tilt, wider coverage and more powerful. Easier to clean as well.

The only thing about tower fans are space and looks versus practicality.

Yes. Standing or table fan can tilt, wider coverage and more powerful. Easier to clean as well.

The only thing about tower fans are space and looks versus practicality.

If you wanna take tower fan better get those metal blade types.. Wind power should be quite good as my gf house is using one bought at courts. But as for looks and also space, it is not the idea fan to have in the house. That is why I gotten myself the wall mount type.

Don't waste your money on tower fan. Except for being nice looking, they can't be compared to the conventional table or standing fan and not as powerful. Unlike the normal table or standing fan which you can remove the cover and unscrew the blades for a thorough cleaning, the tower fan can be cleaned this way. You got to use a powerful vacuum cleaner to suck out the dirts thru the vent in the tower fan and you can't clean it thoroughly. Besides this type of fan doesn't last. They will kaput sooner than the normal fan or you are lucky to prolong its lifespan, the power diminishes over the years.

Edited by Redstorm

You can get those "air circulators". Just put one near the target, the area will feel windy. Don't really need to aim it at the target. Solves your height/angle problem.

thanks. agree these are very powerful. i'm not too sure if they are safe enough with kids around. will have a better look at them when i go to the shop.

seems like downsides of the neater looking tower fan are lower wind power and cleaning. thanks all for your advice.

any suggestion on where to buy? Is Carrefour's price reasonable? don't want to check out too many places just to get a fan.

I needed space so I went for tower fan. Akira. $50+.

Cleaning is possible if you're willing to unscrew the casing, which I did. More troublesome but do-able.

I do agree with the rest that power-wise, standing/table fans are better.

I have a tower fan from Mistral, but it spoilt after a couple of years.

It's free, so I don't bother too much with it.

Just pay the cheap standard fan will last a long time, besides being more powerful.

I am currently using a 16-inch Akira high-velocity fan. It only cost ~$50. Wind is extremely strong and is definitely value for money. It is as good as enjoying the strong sea breeze at the beach.

But, I can't say it is safe for kids though.

↡ Advertisement