Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

Any recommendations for car rental in Perth?

I know about Baywater been the cheapest but I got to take the airport transfer to their office to collect car. Find it troublesome coz I'm arriving late at night.

I use economycarrentals

Any nice farmstay to recommend for kids?

tons of information on the net lah. 

2 years ago, I went to Settler Rest Farmstay

This year June, I'm going to Margaret River Hideaway

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Any nice farmstay to recommend for kids?

We went to Ferguson Farmstay. Quite good.

But it's an almost-4-hr drive from Perth airport. So if you arrive fresh in the morning, then should be ok.

but if it's like what we did, then not advisable:

we reached Perth mid afternoon. Bought SIM card, pick up rental car just outside of airport (waited for pick-up by the company), and by the time we did all the paperwork and was ready to set off, it was 5.30 pm, which was the peak hour just after work. Even during summer, by 7.30 or 8 pm, it would be pitch dark, and the highways only have reflectors and no streetlights.

We just packed dinner at a petrol station when we went toilet break, and sped all the way to the farmstay, reaching at 9 pm.

long flight = tired by mid afternoon

peak traffic = got jams

perth to ferguson = i think >300 km

big group, full load (got kids, got parents, big MPV) = stressful drive

not familiar with the road, high speed, pitch dark = super stressful

hungry, tired, anxious = didn't know how i made it [sweatdrop]

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

I know about Baywater been the cheapest but I got to take the airport transfer to their office to collect car. Find it troublesome coz I'm arriving late at night.

get a list of those car rental companies which operate out of perth airport then go to each website to see any promotions applicable for your travel period and duration.

i used hertz...

We went to Ferguson Farmstay. Quite good.

But it's an almost-4-hr drive from Perth airport. So if you arrive fresh in the morning, then should be ok.

but if it's like what we did, then not advisable:

we reached Perth mid afternoon. Bought SIM card, pick up rental car just outside of airport (waited for pick-up by the company), and by the time we did all the paperwork and was ready to set off, it was 5.30 pm, which was the peak hour just after work. Even during summer, by 7.30 or 8 pm, it would be pitch dark, and the highways only have reflectors and no streetlights.

We just packed dinner at a petrol station when we went toilet break, and sped all the way to the farmstay, reaching at 9 pm.

long flight = tired by mid afternoon

peak traffic = got jams

perth to ferguson = i think >300 km

big group, full load (got kids, got parents, big MPV) = stressful drive

not familiar with the road, high speed, pitch dark = super stressful

hungry, tired, anxious = didn't know how i made it [sweatdrop]

yah, so for the same reason, i opted for city-MR-city. no rush to/fro airport.

Dun say down south, by the time reached hotel/airbnb in Perth City, close to dinner time liao. 

• Praise 1

Dun say down south, by the time reached hotel/airbnb in Perth City, close to dinner time liao. 

i was looking for dinner/food at china town area before going hotel when i landed.

Haha couldn't understand how the parking system works there.

i was looking for dinner/food at china town area before going hotel when i landed.

in city, i always park in MSCP. On street parking (non-city), yes it is super confusing. Asked some locals, they said "Just park, no one will check"  [laugh]

in city, i always park in MSCP. On street parking (non-city), yes it is super confusing. Asked some locals, they said "Just park, no one will check"  [laugh]

i parked in this small open air carpark, maybe 15 lots type. I didn't really know how to operate the ticket machine.

So gave up and decided to risk it, anyway going to dabao.

But haha the carpark inspector came along, but my wife and kid in the car. my wife said the warden never take photo of our car lol.

But haha the carpark inspector came along, but my wife and kid in the car. my wife said the warden never take photo of our car lol.

on this, I witnessed a warden giving a ticket. It was a shopping area somewhere, and it had free first hour parking. But you still have to go to the ticketing machine and get a ticket indicating time arrived, and place it on dashboard. We finished dinner, went back to car and saw a warden taking pictures of the car beside and then putting some paper on windscreen. 

Yah, if i had known the implication, i would have changed the plan... but...

i left it to wife to plan and didn't look at it nor thought through it when she told me... [sweatdrop]

Better to spread out the travel and stops... too siong to do what i did...

No harm trying the established big players with offices/outlets at the airport.

They might be cheaper than you think.

For my recent NZ trip, i got my car from Hertz, and the quote was surprisingly low, somewhat encroaching onto the local smaller players 'territory' in terms of the rates.

I found them confusing, cos i had different quotes from Hertz for the same period/place/car, through different sources.

I got quotes from:

- a concierge

- hertz NZ

- hertz SG

- a broker online (those that lists all firms' cars on their site)

Some big players - like Hertz - run many different promos where they give like 20% off. Then somemore if can get some other promo codes (from some credit cards), they all add up to be much more affordable than I had thought beforehand.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Suggest you just rent from Airport, hassle free.

TBH, aust car rental are considered cheap.

Turbocharged

Usually after 5pm, safe to park..

• Praise 1

Same their parking system very complex.

Japan easier, malaysia best lol

in city, i always park in MSCP. On street parking (non-city), yes it is super confusing. Asked some locals, they said "Just park, no one will check" [laugh]

Yeah they should have better instruction for street parking

Turbocharged

Very easy one, you see got ppl park, you just park, then check got ticket on dash or not or if the meter is working.. not working means free.

Then check if the cars got fine or not, no fine means safe to park..

Anyway tourist get fined, just write in appeal they will waive it..

Very easy one, you see got ppl park, you just park, then check got ticket on dash or not or if the meter is working.. not working means free.

Then check if the cars got fine or not, no fine means safe to park..

Anyway tourist get fined, just write in appeal they will waive it..

Actually it's not true, better be careful rather than sorry.

Dec 16 we went Perth. Actually Perth was last stop, cos we drove down all the way to Margaret River, before going back up to Perth the last 3 days. We went to a maritime museum in Perth, and parked at the public carpark outside it.

There were those parking meters there, but it was spoilt, and we saw a few vehicles parked nearby with a slip of paper on the dashboard with the handwriting 'Parking meter out of order' (or something like that). I even took a photo of the meter with the spoilt LCD screen as evidence.

So we did the same, and when we went into the museum, we also told the person manning the ticket counter the same thing, but she said the carpark was not under the museum...

Then 1-2 hr later when we came out, tio saman.

We then wrote in to the email details found on the saman showing the photo of the out-of-order machine, and they replied few weeks later to say cannot waive, and said we should have gone to other parking meters around the place to pay if that particular one was out of order.

I appealed again saying i'm a tourist and didn't know where to find, etc. but they didn't budge...

Got tired in the end and just paid up... TMD...

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

My experience:

Car rental

========

Get from airport

Get from big names. Smaller companies.. car a bit old.. be wary of wear n tear

I like Hertz.. new car usually

Buy full coverage insurance even though expensive

Parking

======

There are parking ticket stations every other 50meters or so.

Buy a ticket and place inside car

Have some loose change to purchase tickets

Perth & Fremantle have to pay parking. Perth even at night some places

Point is if doing shopping for groceries go to those Coles in suburbs eg South Perth. Coles there free parking

• Praise 4

Actually it's not true, better be careful rather than sorry.

Dec 16 we went Perth. Actually Perth was last stop, cos we drove down all the way to Margaret River, before going back up to Perth the last 3 days. We went to a maritime museum in Perth, and parked at the public carpark outside it.

There were those parking meters there, but it was spoilt, and we saw a few vehicles parked nearby with a slip of paper on the dashboard with the handwriting 'Parking meter out of order' (or something like that). I even took a photo of the meter with the spoilt LCD screen as evidence.

So we did the same, and when we went into the museum, we also told the person manning the ticket counter the same thing, but she said the carpark was not under the museum...

Then 1-2 hr later when we came out, tio saman.

We then wrote in to the email details found on the saman showing the photo of the out-of-order machine, and they replied few weeks later to say cannot waive, and said we should have gone to other parking meters around the place to pay if that particular one was out of order.

I appealed again saying i'm a tourist and didn't know where to find, etc. but they didn't budge...

Got tired in the end and just paid up... TMD...

Did everyone get fined or only you?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1