Australia: Car Rental in Perth

Tjkbeluga

my plan is also 2gb from Singtel nia ... and my usage is 1.x gb per month

because in office got wifi and home got wifi

when overseas ... every single min on telco network so 500mb/day is sup sup water ... lol

whenever i go overseas ... 7/8-10 days ... 2gb (min, must curb usage) ... 3gb safe [thumbsup]

yeah if u share then wuhua.

Lol i use abt 1+gb per month only here in SG.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

Their roads are relatively simple outside of Perth.

Margaret river some places have no 3G/4G reception. Can't even have phone signal along certain stretches. I would only get $2/day if I'm within perth itself.

Think i used optus as well, but it's the top up $5-10 dollars each time type of sim card

I used my AA card, think usually have discount at least with that card.

I find that the coverage is not that bad. I drove from Perth City all the way to Margaret River also and there is signal throughout. Trip was last year June. The only trip where I don't have complete coverage is from Margaret River to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse. Some distances from the lighthouse to the main road there is no signal but overall it is very good.

Can try the Here Maps. Used to be own by Nokia but think Nokia had sold it. It is still free and the maps are free too. Available for iOS and Android. It uses the phone's build-in GPS so don't need data but need to load the maps into phone 1st. Can load the whole of Australia map into your phone of selected area. I have tried it in Singapore and it accurate.

• Praise 2

I find that the coverage is not that bad. I drove from Perth City all the way to Margaret River also and there is signal throughout. Trip was last year June. The only trip where I don't have complete coverage is from Margaret River to Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse. Some distances from the lighthouse to the main road there is no signal but overall it is very good.

Can try the Here Maps. Used to be own by Nokia but think Nokia had sold it. It is still free and the maps are free too. Available for iOS and Android. It uses the phone's build-in GPS so don't need data but need to load the maps into phone 1st. Can load the whole of Australia map into your phone of selected area. I have tried it in Singapore and it accurate.

Yes MG to Cape Leeuwin, the reception is patchy until u reach the coast.

The farmstay i stayed (sunflower) that area the reception can be patchy. My room had at most 1 bar reception. Have to wait 20-30mins to send one whatsapp msg haha.

And i was there for 3D2N, that's why i don't feel the 500mb for $2/day is hua for me.

Edited by Lala81

No Birds is the cheapest car rental in Perth based on my personal comparison

but there is a catch ...

there is no collection/return in airport ... i got a friend book no bird in city and then take public transport to city to get car then drive to airport to fetch family members ... it's a MPV and book for > 1 week ... so still worth it ... lol

and their insurance is very very basic ... seriously, much drive very very careful ...

Majority of No Birds fleet is this Corolla.

Rental rates start from as low as AUD25 per day.

post-27974-0-78689500-1442591507_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng

Neutral Newbie

Any1 try rent Audi Q7 from hertz? price difference between kia carnival and audi q7 only $10 per day. i will have 5 adults and 2 kids (3 yo and 6 yo), estimate will have 3 large and 2 small luggages, wonder if Audi Q7 can accommodate all...

does our sg bought travel insurance cover the Accident Damages Excess? or shall i buy the insurance from car rental company? 

appreciate your advises.

Any1 try rent Audi Q7 from hertz? price difference between kia carnival and audi q7 only $10 per day. i will have 5 adults and 2 kids (3 yo and 6 yo), estimate will have 3 large and 2 small luggages, wonder if Audi Q7 can accommodate all...

does our sg bought travel insurance cover the Accident Damages Excess? or shall i buy the insurance from car rental company?

appreciate your advises.

Their Q7 is new one. I saw the car

Maybe can try go premium auto all sit in display car haha

Don't forget to bring luggage along haha jk

Am planning a trip to Perth this Dec, for 12 days.

Would welcome and appreciate advice from anyone familiar with the place in general, and car rental in particular (wife is planning most of it, and I volunteered to help with rental).

There will be 6 of us, parents around 80, and kids 11 and 13. Kids are tall for their age.

We went to Gold Coast 3 yr ago, and rented an iMax there. Was big, but suited us ok, as it was spacious and comfy, just a bit high up and it was difficult for my mother to get up and down the vehicle.

Any idea which MPV would be a good choice for us? I searched briefly, and it showed Kia Carnival, Hyundai iMax, and Toyota Tarago. Are there any other choices, and how are the Carnival and Tarago? (the iMax i still remember).

We'll like to pick up and return car at Perth Airport, for convenience.

Hope to have similar good experience as Gold Coast, where the rental coy people were friendly, helpful and honest. Rates were quite cheap, and we didn't have those nasty experience that we heard from others like the rental company would blame customers for scratches, various problems, etc. and deduct large sum from your credit card after you've left aussie...

tks in advance.

Would welcome and appreciate advice from anyone familiar with the place in general, and car rental in particular (wife is planning most of it, and I volunteered to help with rental).

There will be 6 of us, parents around 80, and kids 11 and 13. Kids are tall for their age.

We went to Gold Coast 3 yr ago, and rented an iMax there. Was big, but suited us ok, as it was spacious and comfy, just a bit high up and it was difficult for my mother to get up and down the vehicle.

Any idea which MPV would be a good choice for us? I searched briefly, and it showed Kia Carnival, Hyundai iMax, and Toyota Tarago. Are there any other choices, and how are the Carnival and Tarago? (the iMax i still remember).

Hope to have similar good experience as Gold Coast, where the rental coy people were friendly, helpful and honest. Rates were quite cheap, and we didn't have those nasty experience that we heard from others like the rental company would blame customers for scratches, various problems, etc. and deduct large sum from your credit card after you've left aussie...

tks in advance.

I rented toyota klugger 7 seater.

Solid car, spacious and easier to get in as compared to imax or carnival in my opinion.

Rented from Hertz, collect in Perth downtown.

post-61366-0-11605500-1476101739_thumb.jpeg

Solid car, spacious and easier to get in as compared to imax or carnival in my opinion.

The klugger rear space is more suitable for small kids. Won't be really comfy for an extended drive i feel.

Not that I've sat in one before, but i watched some videos before on it's space.

I rented from avis/hertz (cant rem which one).

Drop off, i just dropped off the keys at the counter. No real checks were done. Pretty fuss free.

tks in advance.

Edited by Lala81

The klugger rear space is more suitable for small kids. Won't be really comfy for an extended drive i feel.

Not that I've sat in one before, but i watched some videos before on it's space.

Drop off, i just dropped off the keys at the counter. No real checks were done. Pretty fuss free.

Depends on what insurance policy u take

If full cover extensive, even u smash the car they also wont check cos its kinda covered in the rental price haha

The klugger u can adjust the centre seat to make more space for 3rd row. Its easier to climb as compared to large MPV

Went to Perth in Jun'16 and rent a small car. Kanna A$200 summon for clock 71km/h on a 60km/h road sent to my home after 1mth later. Summon shows a Pic capture from those like SG junction red light cam. In AU, those junction cam acts like speed cam too. No wonder I see those AUS driver quite law abidding.

tks in advance.

Rented from hertz from the airport directly.. 6adults.. got the carnival.

Last row had to sit one pax with luggage. Recommend stackable luggage to max out boot space.

0 excess always the way to go.. Perth easy drives all the way... take time for wineries.. cheese.. chocolates

They don't hv tarago anymore it seems..iirc

Edited by SuPerBoRed

for peace of mind just rent from the big rental company at airport, Hertz or Avis.

I also think so, but wife was the one researching and confirming the bookings for the previous trip, and she found the good deal that was significantly cheaper than these established big players leh. She checked out quite a lot, and found one that had mostly good reviews. Actually took a risk - which paid off - too i must say...

hmm... 

tks for suggesting Klugger. First time hearing this car. Looks like it's a SUV near Fortuner mould? Have not driven one before so it would be fun, but am not sure it's big enough though, as we'll have quite a few luggages (likely 1x28", 2x24", 2x20" plus 1 backpack). When we had iMax, it was obviously more than adequate given the huge boot. If change to SUV like Fortuner type, might be tough, esp. since my girl is already 1.72 m... ask her sit 3rd row if not much space sure nag like mad...

have you tried carnival before? how high is it and is it difficult for elderly to get in/up, would you know?

Yes, space is a key consideration, and am worried that SUV might be too cramped. Having sat in iMax before, they are asking us to book one again, although I'm interested to try another one - iMax is really van-like.

Did you rent or try the MPVs like Carnival or Tarago there?

If the Carnival is the Sedona that was launched 2 yr ago, then it's interesting. Was hoping C&C will bring it in, but they just bring in Carens only...

↡ Advertisement