Removing fine scratches from GLASS

Kc0378

Neutral Newbie

dear experts!

recently i bought a form based fine sanding sponge from autobacs to polish my windscreen, i was told it could remove stains and also smoothen out the glass surface.

After application with "mama lemon" and a little water, sanding in circular motion, i noticed that there are fine spiderweb circular kind of scratches on my glass!

is there anyway to remove the scratches, they are not really visible, but becomes obvious when light shines onto the windscreen.

i read on the internet that toothpaste helps? pls advise, dont want to create another disaster.

thank you for your advise

↡ Advertisement

i don't think you can remove the scratches unless you manage to buff perfectly the ENTIRE windscreen.

logically, toothpaste MAY fill in the gaps of the scratches, but it would wash off, wouldn't it?

think you should tahan bit more, if your screen gets struck by gravel or by other man-made means top-up $100 and get it replaced (insurance). don't waste any more money on such products already.

Edited by Karebu

Neutral Newbie

i don't think you can remove the scratches unless you manage to buff perfectly the ENTIRE windscreen.

logically, toothpaste MAY fill in the gaps of the scratches, but it would wash off, wouldn't it?

think you should tahan bit more, if your screen gets struck by gravel or by other man-made means top-up $100 and get it replaced (insurance). don't waste any more money on such products already.

yeah, think last resort is to claim insurance. but very troublesome...

not troublesome at all, at least with NTUC.

just have to bring your cert down to any of their authorized windscreen replacement shop and its done within an hour or two with booking (check for availability).

Neutral Newbie

Weird are you talking about the fine grade "sandpaper" from 3M?

Have been using them on glass with no problems leh..

I believe there are some glass polishes and pads ..

Neutral Newbie

Weird are you talking about the fine grade "sandpaper" from 3M?

Have been using them on glass with no problems leh..

I believe there are some glass polishes and pads ..

yup its the 3m one

Neutral Newbie

probably its not the pad? could it be some sand or hard particle trapped under the pad while you are doing the sanding that may have cause the spider web-like swirl on your glass.

probably its not the pad? could it be some sand or hard particle trapped under the pad while you are doing the sanding that may have cause the spider web-like swirl on your glass.

So any remedy?? looks like times are bad...

Neutral Newbie

So any remedy?? looks like times are bad...

i don't know man. Just share some thoughts over the problem occurred so brothers here who want to share here can be more cautious in terms of taking care of our babes. ^^

Neutral Newbie

I was reading someones posting on autopia.

He managed to remove with glass polish from Lake Country and their pads.

Can show us the link? Want to learn it, so i can do it myself. Got some hair line scratches near the right side of my screen. Can we get those pads and polishes in SG?

You have to get what the glass/mirror shops use - cerium oxide. Mix it into a slurry and polish with a drill. You have to polish and polish and polish. Its esay to scratch but hard to remove. Try buying some at a mirror/glass shop. Not the glass cutter but people who actually cut and grind them.

↡ Advertisement