Do Taxi Companies have to use big cc taxi on our road?

Kelpie

Do Taxi Companies have to use big cc taxi on our road?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do Taxi Companies have to use big cc taxi on our road?

• YES
    • NO
    • Others (Please explain)

Hi all,

Singapore being a tiny state but majority of their taxi are high cc, turbo-charged cars. Wonder what is the rationale? For some countries that are many time its size, their taxi are usually the smaller and more fuel economical 1.6L cars. Of course, there are countries that have fleets higher cc taxi but they have much longer distance and wider areas to cover. Perhaps, Singaporean passengers have bigger butts to begin with.

So is there a benchmarking sytem or decision making system that dictate whether a taxi should be of certain technical specification? If I can see 1.5L cc taxi plying on our road, I'm quite sure we don't need higher cc taxi that burn more fuel and give them the potential opportunity to rev hard, which many have complained here in the past.

What is your take?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

i prefer to have a choice of small cc taxis with lower prices...

example, if only one person is taking a taxi, picanto is fine too if price is less 20 or 30% [flowerface]

agree,

i also wonder why need so many model of taxi.

i think toyota crown (normal taxi) and mercedes e class enough for singapore city.

some more now have taxi color bright/ chili red ???

i think red color car beside for personal, only gov like ambulance or firealarm allow use red color.

i prefer to have a choice of small cc taxis with lower prices...

example, if only one person is taking a taxi, picanto is fine too if price is less 20 or 30% [flowerface]

That is a fresh idea to me. Knowing how Taxi companies operate here, this is unlikely to happen. Even if it does happen, it will probably not in the region of 20~30%.

Regards,

Different sizes of taxi will cater to different needs. It's easier to have a spacious and larger engine cc cab to cater to all scenarios. If you have a family of four each with a big luggage waiting for a cab at the airport, which would you prefer? Two small size cabs = paying double or one cab that can fits all at slightly higher price compared to an average cab?

The diesel engine produces less CO2 as compared to a petrol engine of the same engine cc but emits more black smoke. You might want to read it up. Anyway car manufacturers produces cars which have to meet CO2 emissions. In sg diesel engine cars have to go for inspection to test for emissions & black smoke. That's your benchmark.

Different sizes of taxi will cater to different needs. It's easier to have a spacious and larger engine cc cab to cater to all scenarios. If you have a family of four each with a big luggage waiting for a cab at the airport, which would you prefer? Two small size cabs = paying double or one cab that can fits all at slightly higher price compared to an average cab?

The diesel engine produces less CO2 as compared to a petrol engine of the same engine cc but emits more black smoke. You might want to read it up. Anyway car manufacturers produces cars which have to meet CO2 emissions. In sg diesel engine cars have to go for inspection to test for emissions & black smoke. That's your benchmark.

Yes, different sizes suit different needs. How often do you see fully loaded taxi or passengers buying furnitures from Ikea (even big cc sedan tax also useless)? Our Taxi also don't just serve Airport alone all the time right? There are also spacious car that don't come with big cc engine. The question is a matter of proportion. Must you say have 99% of them? You still can have limo or big and spacious Taxi but must you have so many of them?

Speaking about fuel cost; in Singapore; you do see smaller cc diesel powered taxi. Again why is there a need for so many V6 one? Are bigger CC diesel engine more economical to run than a smaller diesel engine taxi?

Regards,

You write to taxi company and ask them why lor. Right?

So many V6? In taxis, that's probably for luxury taxi bah? You got take medication?

Edited by Watwheels

They don't have to. They can always give you the bare minimum (there are some guidelines on it before it can be approved for use as taxi though) and they can always charge you the same price and people will KPKB again. Still remember the Toyota Corona taxi? That was terrible in terms of ride comfort and legroom.

There needs to be an optimal size to cater to various needs. Ideal size would be something like Sonata or Skoda Superb.

A small cap engine may not necessary be more fuel efficient than a bigger cap engine when it's fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage. Would you rather be in a Skoda Superb than a Toyota Axio 1.5 petrol/CNG cab when there are 3 passengers onboard paying about the same price?

i dun see the point to dispute over big cc taxis. when we take taxi, of course we want something comfy and different from our everyday rides.

I think you have very little knowledge(I told you to read up, why dun you listen) on diesel engine technology past & present. In the past ppl use big cc on diesel engine is bcos it's smoother to use indirect injection otherwise it will be very violent(conbustion) creating too much noise and vibrations. Smaller cc plus indirect injection give very little power, thus up the cc.

With today's common rail fuel injectors, turbo & computers, diesel direct injection is stable thus cutting down the need of big engine capacity. Taxi companies have to slowly phase out the old diesel engine cars becos of cost. If you want to buy newer technology, it comes at a price.

Edited by Watwheels

Last time, transport ministry say taxi is like an alternative to bus/MRT, just slightly more expensive only.

Now they say they want taxi to be a premium mode of personal transportation. Premium.

That's why want bigger taxis lor. The Azeras, 300C and Merz is meant for the ang mos when they come and support our IR. And they come only with high c.c engines, so bopian lor.

Whereas the Sonatas, Wish are meant for common ppl. Sonata only come with 2.0 TC as the only diesel engine choice.

Other smaller taxis exist coz operators want to save on start-up costs.

e.g. Honda Seahorse, Toyota Axios.

And I agree, they should lower the price of these smaller taxis.

Btw toyota crown does not meet Euro 4 emission standard, that's why no more new Crowns, though they are still available for rental.

Hi all,

Singapore being a tiny state but majority of their taxi are high cc, turbo-charged cars. Wonder what is the rationale? For some countries that are many time its size, their taxi are usually the smaller and more fuel economical 1.6L cars. Of course, there are countries that have fleets higher cc taxi but they have much longer distance and wider areas to cover. Perhaps, Singaporean passengers have bigger butts to begin with.

So is there a benchmarking sytem or decision making system that dictate whether a taxi should be of certain technical specification? If I can see 1.5L cc taxi plying on our road, I'm quite sure we don't need higher cc taxi that burn more fuel and give them the potential opportunity to rev hard, which many have complained here in the past.

What is your take?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Big CC means bigger space which also mean that its more comfortable.

Hi all,

What is your take?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

So they can charge a higher rental... and since higher CC consume more fuel...

Oil companies earn money.. government can tax more... good for oil companies as well... all win situations for government.

Since we know taxi drivers are sole pro... you dont expect them to report a good earning... "run tax"

so somehow... money still has to be taken 1 way or another...

and not to forget... we dun have cows to milk... so we have for ourselves automotive cows....

In this tiny winy little country... EVERYTHING is about MONEY..... peace.

just kenna pulverized at a traffic light sprint by a teksi is it ?? [rolleyes]

come here KPKB

aiyah ... face it lah.

nxt time, buy a faster car lor

i remembered sometime ago you were searching for a turbo conti mid executive car rite ?

get the SAAB 95 Troll lah. Sure can whack even turbo teksi one.

or better ... 95 AERO ... 2.8L full turbo.

↡ Advertisement