Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)

Achtung

I am the 'visual' kinda driver too..

But having changed to a set of tyres with softer side walls (for comfort), my old eyes cant tell anymore..

Nowadays, only rely on consumption readouts. But then again, may be too late..

Contemplating for TPMS too..

I use a hand-held pressure gauge, simple, can do it at home, or while waiting for wifey, if the readings show low press, pump it up on the way home or to work.

but it will be nice to be able to read the pressure while driving, if i have nowhere else to spend the $200++

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys,

I been thinking of installing the tyre pressure monitoring system. Some systems do not need to go tyre shops and its DIY, others u need. Some are wireless, some are not. Any feedback and recommendations with price?

Its a useful gadget for me on the road and on track.

Hope anyone can shed some light.

My wireless TPMS sensors are being belted to the inner ring of the rims. I used those valve type before but they were broken into fragments after a long drive at the NSHW.

Regards,

why waste $$, just step out & see it for free

How do you see or know there is a problem when you can't step out to see when you're driving?

Regards,

(edited)

Installed my at autoba.s at around 280 with installation.

Really very basic.

Cant preset pressure and temp alarm settings.

Troublesome to set sensors after tyre rotation.

You are lucky that no one got hurt.

Safety first

I am interested in Orange TPMS. One question, if I dont wish to hook it to the power supply is there an option to put a AA battery into the display unit?

Edited by I_RIDE_DEEP

Am using orange TPMS. can display temp, battery voltage and pressure. But usually use pressure as standard display.

Personally find it a good to have. Initially find it a hassle to hook to power supply, but got used to it.

(edited)

Not to keen on runnin wires to orange tpms display. Does anyone know if it takes a 12v or 5v input ( want to hook up to a small battery and put in arm rest compartment)? Hopefully it can still receive a signal when inside arm rest compartment.

@@tks bro 5936 for reply that there is no AA battery compartment. @@

Edited by I_RIDE_DEEP

Screwed onto tyre valve inplace of dust caps?

Being uniquely shaped, on tyre valve, is it eye catching, or attention seeker

I have a question- Is it easy to be unscrewed like normal valve caps?

Neutral Newbie

SOH Brothers. I installed the Orange TPMS since late 2009. Quite useful - at least will know which tyre is having less air. I think about

$250 +/- with installation.

Installed mine at Soh Brothers too. To have stable power source and hide the wires. Best to Connect to wire. After install a week.... Saw one of the tyre losing air slowly on the meter day by day. Thought it was faulty or what. When to Soh brothers, took out tyres to find a long nail....Thanks to TPMS. Else i wouldn't know there is leak....when it is leaking air so slowly.

Neutral Newbie

TPMS Tyre pressure monitoring sensor has become compulsory in USA and Europe. So, it will come to Singapore one day since Singapore is a law and order country.

New model come with Bluetooth Low Power technology and using Apps installed on Smartphone.

imho, getting this tpms thing is no diff from getting those voltage,vacuum and pressure gauges you always see on boy racer cars. you dont need electronics to tell you about a flat/punctured tire. i feel people who install this just wants to have more things to look at while driving, which in turns causes distractions and danger. and seriously, even if you do install this system will you always be looking at it whenever you're driving to see if its out of range? nope. save the 200+ and get better tires or even run flats. no need worry so much and distract yourself.

imho, getting this tpms thing is no diff from getting those voltage,vacuum and pressure gauges you always see on boy racer cars. you dont need electronics to tell you about a flat/punctured tire. i feel people who install this just wants to have more things to look at while driving, which in turns causes distractions and danger. and seriously, even if you do install this system will you always be looking at it whenever you're driving to see if its out of range? nope. save the 200+ and get better tires or even run flats. no need worry so much and distract yourself.

My personal experiences

1) TPMS - A slow leaking tyre with 20% pressure loss looks almost similar to one which is functionally normal.

2) Voltage - Massive voltage fluctuation between (IIRC) 10V and 16V.

3) Coolant Temp - Above 100 degrees Celsius.

P.S. TPMS will be useful when my norm for pumping tyres is every 4-5 days and there is nothing wrong with them. [laugh]

TPMS Tyre pressure monitoring sensor has become compulsory in USA and Europe. So, it will come to Singapore one day since Singapore is a law and order country.

New model come with Bluetooth Low Power technology and using Apps installed on Smartphone.

Airbags have become compulsory in USA Europe and Australia many many years ago.

More than 20 years later still have yet to be made compulsory in singapore. [rolleyes]

will happen when govt starts to impose taxes on tpms [thumbsup]

Supersonic

TPMS saved my tyres many times.

When I go out at night, it's hard to see a flat.

Before TPMS, I had driven until the tyre exploded, bcuz with a flat on the rear you're unlikely to feel it.

↡ Advertisement