Steps of changing OPC to normal

Elixir

Dear Bros,

Due to work purposes, I have no choice but to convert my off peak car to normal. Anyone here can advise, in detail, what the things I need to do?

and how long it will take?

Many Thanks. :D

↡ Advertisement

Submit an application form to the LTA at 10 Sin Ming Drive. You will need to pay a conversion fee of $100 and top-up the road tax for your converted car. You must also change your car's red number plates to normal ones within 3 calendar days.

In addition, if your car was originally registered as an OPC, you will need to top-up the

wah...the calculation is so deep. to simplify things, i suggest TS use the online calculator at onemotoring webpage.

please note that after conversion, LTA will give 3 days for the number plate to be changed. pls do not attempt to break the seal as its really beyond most of us. i have mine done at $90, inclusive of the plates.

Hi,

Thanks. So I would like to know I will have to make a trip down to LTA directly and starts from there, am I right? and like pay the remaining road tax and the rebate given over at LTA.

How about changing plates? Is it done at LTA or at like Vicom?

Thanks for your help.

you got to break the seal and change the plate after you settle the $$.

Many workshops around LTA Sin Ming.

Hi,

Thanks. So I would like to know I will have to make a trip down to LTA directly and starts from there, am I right? and like pay the remaining road tax and the rebate given over at LTA.

How about changing plates? Is it done at LTA or at like Vicom?

Thanks for your help.

Neutral Newbie

Need someone to enlighten me on the OPC rebate.

Choice 1)

If I get OPC now, I got 17k rebate.

Choice 2)

If I get normal car now, then convert to OPC next Feb, get 1.1k per 6 months. by end of 10 years, you should at least get 1.1 * 21 = $20900

Choice 2 seen like a obvious choice, or did I get the facts wrong. Please help me as I want to get a new (OPC) soon.

Choice 1)

Choice 2)

If I get normal car now, then convert to OPC next Feb, get 1.1k per 6 months. by end of 10 years, you should at least get 1.1 * 21 = $20900

Choice 2 seen like a obvious choice, or did I get the facts wrong. Please help me as I want to get a new (OPC) soon.

Wrong .. It not like this

Neutral Newbie

hi

can anyone advise if my car is orginally a 'normal' car plate, den now conver to OPC with the new scheme, den months down the road, i want to convert back to the 'normal' car plate,

what are the costs involved?

what is the process like?

any restrictions?

Choice 1)

Choice 2)

I was thinking of getting a used or new OPC & had the same questions. Choice 2 - Your calculation is incorrect:

Your rebate is also based on the number of years left i.e. if you get a normal car now & used for 1 year, then the rebate is based on 9 years. And if you sell car or convert back to normal before the 10 years, then you will not get all the rebate.

hi

can anyone advise if my car is orginally a 'normal' car plate, den now conver to OPC with the new scheme, den months down the road, i want to convert back to the 'normal' car plate,

what are the costs involved?

what is the process like?

any restrictions?

I actually ask LTA before through email.

A lady called me back after a few days and she told me there isn't any limits to how much you can change to and fro.

The admin fee of $100 will apply for each change.

Once you convert to the OPC scheme, it's mandatory for you to be enrolled in the new OPC scheme (free full sat for less road tax rebate)

Turbocharged

For those who own a off-peak car, thoughout the ownership you may have the intention of converting your off-peak car to a normal car.

Hope this thread will help you in the conversion:

Since all OPCs have a $17,000 grant off the normal car price, it's only logical to pay back LTA when you converting back to a normal car, however the amount you pay back will be pro-rated subjected to the number of months usage of the OPC. The earlier you convert your car, the more you have to pay back.

Before you want to convert, you might want to find out approximately how much you need to pay back to LTA for the convert. The following link will help:

https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfu...D=EnquireCnvFee

The conversion can only be done in the main LTA office at the HQ at 10 Sin Ming Drive:

http://www.lta.gov.sg/home/index_home_contact.htm

The payment method for the conversion is up-front cash/cheque. There is no installment plan for the conversion, YOU TO PAY IN FULL.

Upon conversion, you need the following:

1) NRIC

2) Road Tax Disc

3) Inspection Slip (only if your car is due for inspection, if you have not receive any notification for inspection, you can ignore this)

You'll take a queue number, fill up the given conversion form.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO DRIVE YOUR CAR TO LTA. Since it's a OPC to normal conversion, no inspection from LTA is needed, so save your $20 coupon if possible.

If you have left over unused $20 coupons, you can get a refund from LTA.

The conversion is immediate. Upon paying the Conversion fee, you will be presented a letter as a proof of the conversion. You can use this letter to display on the windscreen when you drive your car. You will also be given 3 days grace to change your red license plate to a normal plate.

A formal letter will also be sent to your house address in 3-4 working days.

There you can go to any workshop to brake the OPC seal and replace the plate. Usually the workshop will charge a fee to break the OPC seal. Our swift's OPC plate may be welded to a metal bar so some workshop may charge extra to cut the welding and remove the bar, it's all up to your bargaining power/charisma.

THAT'S IS NOT ALL!!!

REMEMBER to INFORM your auto insurance company of the conversion IMMEDIATELY. Call them, email them and make you to clearly tell them the date of conversion. keep a email copy as a proof if possible. The insurance company will calculate the premium you need to top up for the normal ca insurance to take effect. FAILURE to declare to your insurance may have serious implication in the event of an accident/claims.

Hope these inform helped for those bros/siss thinking of converting their rides to total freedom!

Neutral Newbie

OT a bit, what i wanted to ask is totally opposite.

after converting from normal to OPC scheme,

1)do i have to order the red car plate myself? (anyone knows what's the price? I had checked the "motor directory" in MCF but can't find any workshop dealing in car plate.)

2)fix it up then go inspection center to seal or the center can fixup and seal for me?

under the normal scheme, my road tax will expires on 14/03/10. If i covert say on 10/02/10, my new OPC road tax will start from 10/02/10 to 09/02/11. if I want to continue driving this car until it is 10 yrs, how am i going to renew its road tax and insurance when there is a lapse (my ride's 10th yr COE expires on 14/03/2017). Prorated road tax and insurance? [:/]

my car is due for her 1st inspection too, any problem if i convert before this date when it assume my is a normal car, therfore minus the inspection of the OPC seal ?

thanks!

↡ Advertisement