APEC BMW

Srt911

Neutral Newbie

Read the news that 600 brand new BMW 5/7 series will be use as the delegates official cars in the APEC 2009 meeting.

Wondering what will happen to these cars after that? Put up for sale as 2nd hand cars?

↡ Advertisement

Unlike other international events where it has sponsored cars in the past, BMW Asia has announced that this fleet will not be put up for sale at a discount. Instead, it will be used for other upcoming events instead.

BMW fleet for Apec meetings

11 July 2009

Straits Times

LEADERS of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) forum will be travelling in style.

German luxury carmaker BMW is supplying close to 300 cars to ferry the high-profile participants - including United States President Barack Obama - to and from the Apec meetings being hosted in Singapore.

Yesterday, BMW Asia held a symbolic ceremony to hand over the 295-strong fleet, consisting mainly of BMW 5-series and some 7-series cars.

It is one of several car sponsorships BMW has taken part in over the years.

Unlike previous occasions, however, when such cars were sold to the public at discounted rates after the programme, the 295 BMWs will be kept for other events next year. The cars are now parked at a military camp in Portsdown Road. The fleet will not be registered, but the cars will wear special number plates.

The sponsorship is sizeable, costing an estimated $18 million, based on the cost of the vehicles before registration taxes.

A spokesman for BMW Asia indicated that although the cars would not be sold and, therefore, would not contribute to BMW sales in Singapore, the sponsorship was a brand-building exercise.

BMW began supplying cars for national events here with the World Trade Organisation Ministerial Conference held in 1996. In 2006, it supplied more than 500 cars for the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings here. BMW Asia managing director Johannes Seibert described that as 'one of the biggest projects of its kind undertaken by BMW anywhere in the world'.

Apec Singapore 2009 will see about 12,000 participants arriving for 114 meetings, starting from this month. It will culminate in a summit in November to be attended by leaders from the 21 member nations.

CHRISTOPHER TAN

Neutral Newbie

look. BMW spend 18mil for a brand-building excercise by sponsoring cars for the APEC.

hmmm ever asked yourself how often u see ads of bmw on tv? they dont need ads to sell their cars i guess.

Neutral Newbie

if really, there is hope to sell away APEC BMW to public. Do you think they can afford it?

dun mention riches pp... normal man won't be looking at it....

we can buy over, BUT, we cannot afford the mant,,,,,one words >>>>EXP EXP EXP

hmmm ever asked yourself how often u see ads of bmw on tv? they dont need ads to sell their cars i guess.

Hmm but nowadays chinese ah pek ah soh radio station 958 also got BMW ad, saying that it offer free COE etc etc. I quite surprise that they even target this grp of ppl

If i had the money i'd probably buy these discounted (assuming they were put on sale like the last time) bimmers. Not brand whore or anything but its a good chance to get a decent BMW and mod the hell out of it with spare change.

The last meeting held here is also BMW is it? I thought after that they sold it at a good discount.

but the discount is not substantial but I think certain part/functions are not included.. so nett nett, might as well buy the normal ones..

Hmm but nowadays chinese ah pek ah soh radio station 958 also got BMW ad, saying that it offer free COE etc etc. I quite surprise that they even target this grp of ppl

They might be targetting them with the 7-series or the 5-series.

Usually those who listens to 958 are pple 50 or above and there r many rich towkays in this group.